• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shaping Stick Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
So, I have decided that I REALLY have to work on Ivan's stick training. I started a while back, but halfheartedly, partly because I know he really hated the stick, a long perch. I ended up buying a long, rope Booda perch, bent it, not quite in half, so the two ends make a handle (which I duct taped) and the other end where it bends makes an oval kind of. He was out of his cage today and I worked on it with him some. Just holding it up, waiting a moment, then moving it away, etc. Right now he is in his cage and I did a few reps of lifting the perch in my hand and when he looked at it and didn't move away, giving a treat. I did that a few times. Then, I held it closer so he could reach it and he very gently opened his beak on it, for which I marked it and gave him a very high value treat! So excited!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:that's AWESOME! Felt like it took me forever to get Emma comfortable with the stick. First she'd refuse to touch it.

Eventually she learned how to touch it just enough to receive her pistachio, then she'd FLY away never to return:eek: It was so frustrating for me.:rofl:

Now she steps up like a champ!! NO treat. Just a chipper *Good Job* from me.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Step one!! :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Never occurred to me to use a Booda for birds who are actually afraid of wood dowels. Great idea.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome! The rope perch is a miracle in this house. I use it once or twice a day when Olive knows it is time for meds.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:dance4:that's AWESOME! Felt like it took me forever to get Emma comfortable with the stick. First she'd refuse to touch it.

The perch is so long and even when I tried different shorter ones, he didn't like it. He seems much more comfortable with this.

Step one!! :hug8:
Yes! Yay!:dance4:

Never occurred to me to use a Booda for birds who are actually afraid of wood dowels. Great idea.
He has stepped onto a rope swing before, so I thought he would be more comfortable with this.

Awesome! The rope perch is a miracle in this house. I use it once or twice a day when Olive knows it is time for meds.
Thank you for the suggestion in one of my other threads. I think that this will work well for him. Not a perch but definitely has a good handle for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.