• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sex of Love Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 lovies. Is there any way to know what their sex is besides a blood test? I really don't want to become a breeder.

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Adult lovebirds can be pelvic sexed fairly easy if you know what you're looking for. If you're around the birds a lot and can see them interact with each other they can be sexed fairly accurately by behavior. But to walk up and view them for the first time and sex them by looking at them, no. Some folks swear by females being heavier, broader, sitting lower, though. And I've heard some swear by females eyerings having an almond shaped eyering.

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you Lynn, beautiful jewelry by the way. I will be making an order real soon.

So, back to love birds. I am thinking of getting one or two for my granddaughter. The bird/s will live with me and she will be supervised as she is only going to be 5 in July. I think the person that has them may be new to lovies as she says she is keeping them for a friend whose husband does not like the noise. If I do end up with both sexes is it dangerous for them to mate if they are related? I really don't want to become a breeder at this time. LOL.

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
if they are brother and sister and they do mate its not going to hurt them but id remove eggs. and i would keep them in diff cages but thats me, i wouldnt want them to have babys becouse of prossable deformitys, and i would only let them out together under supervision at play time

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
When i got Stormy i had no idea if he was a male or female. He had about 12 siblings (2 batches) and i randomly stuck my hand in a box and grabbed him.

With Lizzys breeder...i wanted a friend. But my concern was getting 2 females because i was afraid theyd kill each other. He did the pelvic thing. They check the spacing between the pelvic..if its more spaced its usually a girl..smaller its a boy. BUT, this isnt always accurate. Some gurls spacing doesnt open up til later on (at least so ive heard). I think Lizzy was just BORN to be a mom tho...lol

My female is noticably larger than my male. Her stance is wider also. When she walks, her legs are much further apart than his. I think Lynn is right about the almond shaped eyes too. Stormys eyes are VERY round compared to Lizzys

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
To know 100%, you would have to have the birds DNA sexed. If you would rather not do that, you can make an educated guess using visual cues.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
yeah DNA is the only way to know for sure but adult(at least 1-2 yrs old) lovies you can try the pelvis thing.

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Thank you Lynn, beautiful jewelry by the way. I will be making an order real soon.

So, back to love birds. I am thinking of getting one or two for my granddaughter. The bird/s will live with me and she will be supervised as she is only going to be 5 in July. I think the person that has them may be new to lovies as she says she is keeping them for a friend whose husband does not like the noise. If I do end up with both sexes is it dangerous for them to mate if they are related? I really don't want to become a breeder at this time. LOL.
:hug8:Thankyou :heart:

Not dangerous to let them mate but I would not let the eggs develop and hatch, it's definitely not good to combine same genetics like that. If you end up with a female there are things to keep in mind/stay away from that promote hormones, like things that are large enough to serve as a nest box, paper to shred, tons of food, long days/short nights.

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
I got a few birds here that are 2-3 years old....stance of a female, build of a female, pelvics of a male, behaviour of a male, bites like a female has the eyes of a male....man they are impossible to sex. 'it' was preening and cuddling with a female...ahh must be a male then! 2 hours later 'it' was preening and cuddling a male! I give up!

For the majority of my birds, the pelvic bones only open up when they are in breeding condition. Birds that have bred before, the pelvics usually hold their form and make them easy to sex, but yeah, if they have bred before we wouldn't need to sex them would we lol!

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thanks everybody, I think I am going to go with a male cockatiel after all this. I did learn a lot from everyone though.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.