• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2023 Mayor of the Avenue... Olliebirb

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Julia is September's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two budgies named Oliver and Winston. Winston just turned 4 and Oliver is about to turn 5

2. What got you interested in birds?

I have always loved birds even as a child. My stepmom would give me field guides and we would go bird watching. I also loved to draw birds as a kid and still do

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My birds have brought so much joy into my life. They are my babies and I love them so much. I don’t know what I’d do without them.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned a lot from my birds. I have learned more about birds (especially budgies) and I have gotten more into bird watching and learning about different types of birds. I like to know all I can to make sure my babies stay safe and healthy. They mean the world to me.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

One of my favorite birdie memories is when Oliver said his first words. He flew over to me and said “love you” then gave me a kiss. He is the sweetest and he LOVES kisses.

6. Where is your bird's main living area?

My birds live in my bedroom. They have two separate cages but when I am upstairs with them they have free range of the room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

When I got birds quite a few things changed in my home. I made sure that no one used candles or sprayed anything near or in my room. Also every time we had to paint a room I would take my birds to live with me at my grandma's house just to be safe. Luckily no one really opposed these changes and the environment for my birds has been as safe as possible.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I occasionally go bird watching and I try to help out everyone who comes to me with bird questions. There is a pigeon and dove association that I have been to a few times and man are they cute!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love to get my birds an aviary where they could fly free all day but unfortunately we do not have a safe space to put one even if I were able to get one.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

When I was young I met the sweetest eclectus and I have wanted one ever since. I would also love to have zebra finches because they are so cute and outgoing!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Typically I will let the boys out where they can interact with me and each other. I will put out some veggies and possibly a bath if they want to get in it. I will work on my homework as well and Oliver will usually fly over to me and sit on my computer or shoulder. I like to let them out of their cages as much as possible when I am home but I only do so if they are supervised.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I have learned to be patient and not take their bites personally. Sometimes they may get upset and bite at you but that is just them trying to let you know they don’t want to be touched at the moment and that is okay. All that matters is having respect for them because they have feelings too.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

If I could go back and do things differently I would have taken more alone time to spend with Winston. I had Oliver for a few months before getting Winston and during those months we spent all the time we could together. Oliver is very attached to me, kind of like a “Velcro” bird. Winston is the opposite. He tolerates me more than others but he does not like being alone with me. He is also way more scared of new people than Oliver. I just wish I had taken the time with just me and Winston to develop a stronger bond.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to draw, paint, and sculpt! I especially love working with watercolor. I almost went to college for art but ultimately decided to go into STEM

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would like to share that I am so thankful for this community. I have been able to learn and grow with all of you and I love helping out when I can. Thank you all for being so great!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Thank you all so much! It is truly an honor to be part of this community! The Avenue has helped me so much with my troubles and I love to help y’all out as well when I can.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Congratulations! Well deserved :loveshower:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:congrats5:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats! Nice to read your answers!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Congratulations!:loveshower: I'm honestly unsure if the pigeon accociation was a joke or not lol.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Congratulations!:loveshower: I'm honestly unsure if the pigeon accociation was a joke or not lol.
Not a joke! There is a pigeon association about 15 minutes from my house!:lol: