• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

September 2013 Mayor of the Avenue..... Ribbit21 (Keri)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Keri as September's Mayor of the Avenue. She is a wonderful neighbor and asset to our community

I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Jasper: 2 yr old Quaker
Josie: 1 yr old African Grey
Marshall: 16 yr old Senegal

2. What got you interested in birds?

I have always loved animals, but never really thought about owning birds until I met a very feisty amazon about 7yrs ago. This bird screamed non-stop and wanted to bite my head off, but something about her was really fascinating. She had such a confident personality and it really made me look into birds and their behavior.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Constant chaos and I love it! There's never a dull or quiet moment.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience is probably the most important thing I've learned. I've learned to just stand back sometimes and let them be birds, even if it's not what I want them to do at the moment.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When I first went out to buy a bird I went to the local bird fair with the intention of getting a Quaker from a particular breeder. When I got there I saw the last Quaker baby being sold right in front of me. I was heartbroken and on my way out the door when I saw a Quaker in a cage with some budgies. He was half off because he had no toes. The lady said that she was having a hard time selling him. She took him out and I scooped him up and never let him go. I'm so glad that first breeder sold all their babies, if not I never would have found Jasper.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I have a main bird room where all the cages are. I also have 2 separate play areas in the living room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh Boy!! What haven't I changed! They have taken over the house. The only room that doesn't have something bird related is the bathroom. I have a big playstand by my computer. A Bird on the Rocks Tree by the front window that is surrounded by nets and hanging swings. The bird room is basically wall-to-wall bird overload. Even the basement is being finished to create a jumbo bird room.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not at the moment, although I think that's partly since I haven't bothered to find out if there's any groups near me.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I've been drooling over a Large Spring Swing from MPBT. I love their stuff!.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I would love to adopt an Amazon. My absolute dream bird would be a Mealy Amazon, although I've always been open to most kinds. I love the amazon personality and independence. They are sort of no nonsense birds.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds. How much time do you have to spare?

Breakfast time is a 8am and everyone gets fresh fruits and veggies and comes out of their cage. Around 10am they all go back in their cage and I get my work done. When I'm done with work and house cleaning around 2 or 3pm everyone comes out of their cage. At dinner time everyone gets a snack, usually bread, mash, or a cooked food. Everyone is back in their cage by 7pm and I clean cages and change waters and it's lights out at 8pm.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned that they are really complex creatures and deserve a lot of respect. I've found birds understand so much more than most people realize. I've also learned that most people really shouldn't own birds. I get asked all the time by family members and friends and I always say that birds make horrible pets. Bird ownership is so different that having a cat or dog and I think most people don't realize this until it's too late.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have offered to buy that first amazon I met 7 yrs ago. At the time I didn't understand that she was being kept in really poor conditions and was probably miserable and slowly going insane.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Painting, photography, hiking, crafting, scrapbooking, gardening, and I also read a lot.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I'm so thankful to AA for showing me how to become the best bird owner I could be. I don't know what I would do without you guys!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats, Keri!

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
congratulations! i loved reading the interview.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congratulations!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats Keri! :yah:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Congratulations..what a wonderful choice!!!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations Keri! I enjoyed the interview!

Matt

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A great Mayor :) Congrats Keri!

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Congratulations! Wonderful interview!

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Thanks everyone!! :heart::heart::heart: I feel so honored to be chosen!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great interview! Congratulations, Keri!:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats:

Status
Not open for further replies.