• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal houdini (home safe - update #5)

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Hi there ,..any thoughts or positive ideas would be appreciated,.worry mongers need not apply I already got enough of that ,..
So what have 4 senegal parrots outside in an aviary for over 2 years ,..one is like Houdini escaped every gap of light he saw but he never go far and I always got him back with a bag of pistachios ..but I just extended the aviary while my mate was there to pull a panel out to put to extra side pieces in it got snagged so I went in to alter it from inside and my Harley freaked and just flew at the panel then climbed to the top and flew to a tree a few gardens away by a shop and a building site ..luckily it’s Sunday tomorrow so no diggers and jcbs to freak him out and il be out at 7am whistling as will his best mate max who gona be devastated tomorrow..I say mates but there full on gay with each other ,..I tried scouting the trees after I fixed the aviary frame in place but it’s dark now never lost him at night and I know he don’t move much can’t see him exploring now in the dark so I gave up the search …any ideas or thoughts ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww sorry to hear that.

Be sure to be out before sun up to be ready for your bird waking up and moving. Take his buddy/mate in a cage/harness with you, or play recordings of his friends bird sounds on your phone or a little speaker.
I would definitely be letting the building site know your bird is on the lose and possibly seeking refuge somewhere on site, leave your contact info with them.

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Thanks for reply ,yeah my alarm is set for 6:30 hoping he just staying put till then his buddy got a pair of lungs on him and be screeching his little head off when I start him off,..he lived outside for a year so hope he recognises the neighbourhood

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you can lure him back with his buddy and a familiar face. Good luck!

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Was out looking like a mad man at 5:30 am whistling and shaking a bag of crisps 2 laps of the block and a walk through a nature reserve later I came back home and finished fixing the new aviary panel that I scared him off with the night before …and then I heard him ,2 gardens away across the road on opposite side totally of where he flew off the night before ..so I’m knocking doors at 7am on a Sunday with no answer obviously so I’m standing looking over a fence at him in a garden tree ,whistling at me I’m whistling at him my 2 other ones are whistling because they got the run of the aviary and his best mate going ballistic bless him was like an alarm clock lighthouse all morning ,..so then I have a group of dog walkers that end up an audience after explaining to one that I’m not just looking over someone’s fence ,..then they see my bird and they getting other crisps to try but no one or the local shop had pistachios ..then the neighbour who’s tree it was came out and let me in his garden after 20 mins I got him to edge down the branches and grab a crisp but when I put my finger up to give him his morning scratch ….he was goooooone ….about 8 gardens away in a big fern tree ..so I went down there it was a house that was being refitted ..windows boarded up and a new extension being built with scaffold and skips ..so I’m in there looking bait as f£&k whistling and playing his mate from a recording but couldent see or hear him ..went home at this point I’m feeling the effects of up all night ,..thought this is my Madeline mc cann moment ,..then I hear my neighbour in the garden whistling and I go out and I can hear Harley in there tree then her feller came out with binoculars but Harley bolted again this time over the top of the house towards the flats and a big tree nature reserve forest thing by train tracks ,..but at this point I’m thinking ..he mapped the area he knows where he is so I walked down 2 more shops before I found the green and yellow bag of pistachios that he likes for her next showing,then I went in and fell asleep for an hour thinking ..I raised a confident little bird that flew the nest …then my neighbour bangs my door after she just went to get something out her car …Harley on my roof whistling at her ..I grabbed the pistachios and went out front door shaking them and he flew straight on my shoulder took a nut and let me walk in the house with him ,..ripped open the bag and let him stuff himself on about 6 pistachios and a gaming hot Dorito his mouth and beak looked dryer than it ever been with white dry saliva dried over its sides ,..didn’t let me touch him after and flew around the house I think trying to get back out to his new world but I got him with a T-shirt covered his head he was calm …put him back out with his mate and after drinking half a pot of water he slept solid for about 2 hours even with his mate screaming and rubbing up next to him ,..what a bloody adventure that bird had like a sensory overload …seems to look at me different now ,..rolling with the seagulls pigeons Woodpeckers and all the other natives ,.would be nice to let him do it regular but he just not great for recall he never been one to stand on a finger since I got him always wants to be on a shoulder so got no way of really controlling him unless he wants to come ..loves a scratch all around his head and face but if you try to put your finger under his feet he fly off or snap at the fingers …so happy though I know this is long if you finished reading it congratulations you should win a prize ..I feel like I have today though

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear that he's safely home,thank goodness you got him back.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great to hear he is home!

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Yeah saved a lot of stress and reward money ,..was sort of proud of him tearing off into the sky in a way especially when he kept coming back and forth ,..is hawks around here from time to time though ..but have got a resident sea gull that chases it off from a tree in a neighbours house ..since owning parrots iv noticed world of birds has its very own game of thrones theme to it ,..sea gull is at the top of the food chain here ,..don’t even know why he’s here we 200 mile away from sea but there’s 2 nested and he does rule and when alerted by the other neighbour hood birds I saw him attacking and chasing a hawk off in a little mid air dog fight ,..luckily my Harley didn’t see any of that while out

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Very happy you got your bird back!!!!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’m glad to hear he’s back :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic, so happy he´s home safe!! You did great finding him each time too :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow what an adventure! Shows how important it is to get the notification involved - including his name! You all did great -so glad he's home!!

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Yeah cheers everyone I don’t know any of ya but I know you understand more than people I do know ,..others would think it’s what they want and should be free but ,I know he soon be sitting scared lost in a tree far far away and not know what to do missing his flock ,gota say all was calm and peaceful on a Sunday morning at 5:30 am still pitch black till I rolled through the woods and flats waking up everything and one ,..small price to pay for my little loyal bird back though

Attachments

Johncov

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
that’s when he first got back home look how dry his mouth looked stuffed the pistachios down like he was a squirrel

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww I'm sure he was so hungry and thirsty! Hopefully he's back to normal soon :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
others would think it’s what they want and should be free
In an ideal world these birds would never have been captive birds and would all live free in Africa... but we´re already here now with captive birds, and non bird folk just don´t understand that you can´t let captive birds loose and think they´ll live fine and dandy - they just don´t survive most of the time.

That aviary looks fantastic! Definitely the best place for your birds to be - safe and in a good environment :)