• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal breeding season?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
George is in breeding mode and I'm wondering when senegal breeding season is supposed to end. I asked this in a different sub forum but couldn't get any concrete answers. He's molting and in heat and he's recovering (very nicely) from a respiratory issue all at the same time so he's grumpy. I figure once the mating season ends it'll be one less thing. He's almost done molting too so that's good.

If anybody could give me an answer I'd really appreciate it.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
I'm not exactly sure but I found this online. Hope this helps.

"Breeding - Senegal parrots breed well in captivity. Some prolific birds will breed year round but most breed in the winter and early spring. Clutch size is usually 3-4 eggs."

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
It's past early spring and he's still ready to rock and roll :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hormones in a parrot can last anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. There is no real season in captivity. The change in seasons (light) wherever you are is a trigger. Our homes are always providing prime conditions for breeding so the biggest factor in all this is how you handle them during and after this time, the diet you feed and the environment you provide. It is very easy to artificially "prolong" hormones with the wrong handling, diet and environment.

A newly mature bird is going to experience hormones quite heavily during the first few seasons (horny teenager). It tends to level out after a number of years. Moulting usually happens right "after" breeding season so it's quite possible that your bird could had hormones and is going right into another cycle. Again a lot of this is determined by your husbandry.

Some reading for you
Hormonal Behavior in Pet Birds - Introduction — For The Birds DVM — Avian Vet

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Hormones in a parrot can last anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks. There is no real season in captivity. The change in seasons (light) wherever you are is a trigger. Our homes are always providing prime conditions for breeding so the biggest factor in all this is how you handle them during and after this time, the diet you feed and the environment you provide. It is very easy to artificially "prolong" hormones with the wrong handling, diet and environment.

A newly mature bird is going to experience hormones quite heavily during the first few seasons (horny teenager). It tends to level out after a number of years. Moulting usually happens right "after" breeding season so it's quite possible that your bird could had hormones and is going right into another cycle. Again a lot of this is determined by your husbandry.

Some reading for you
Hormonal Behavior in Pet Birds - Introduction — For The Birds DVM — Avian Vet

Thank you, I read the article. So, other than ignoring him as best I can when he's in the mood to try to copulate with my hand, what else can I do to put his sex drive back to inactive mode. I read the whole thing you sent me and I find it worrying that being hormonal for too long could be damaging to George. I want the best for him.

Any tips would be appreciated. I make sure to only touch his head and feet when scritching, but what else can I do?
He's 9 now so he's been an adult for a little while. I guess he'd be about 20 in human years.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We ride it out. :)

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Hormone/breeding season for Senegals starts in September and lasts through early spring.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Avicalm could help as well to get him to not be as moody during his hormonal time. It works really well on 2 of my parrots, but not the other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Avicalm is not made anymore. The owner died and no one took over the company.