• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Self-administering human-prescribed Doxycycline Hylcate.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Hello, I used to post on this forum when I was 13. I know this title may alarm some, so bear with me.

I have a darling 12 year old brown headed parrot named Nyla who I've taken care of since I was 11 and she was 3 months old. Nyla has been making very pungent sour-sweet smelling poop for a week. This isn't the first time its happened in the last year, which makes me worried. I believe she has recovered from this infection a few times only for it to come back again. I feel acutely aware that my once little baby brown-head is getting older, so I'm extra worried about her.

I do not have income. I used the last of the money I'll have for awhile to buy Harrison's lifetime bird pellets. But for the first time in my life, I can't go to the bird vet. I used to go whenever I thought Nyla needed help... always false alarms - until perhaps now. This feels different. I mean, it always feels different when fretting over her health. But it worries me all day even if there wasn't that pungent odor to remind me.

I do have, however, Doxycycline Hylcate 100 MG tablets meant for humans. I know this is the same broad spectrum antibiotic that is given to parrots. Haven't looked into the inactive ingredients yet, but they are B-312 pills.

I know I might be able to help her if I give her antibiotics. This idea makes me very nervous. I'm unqualified. Knocking out all the healthy biota in her system as well will make her weak, and I don't want that. But I don't want to just do nothing and I know she's having reoccurring infections that seem bacterial. I did just earn my bachelor's degree in microbiology and I know I will only do this if I can be precise as possible about the measurements. If I can find out the dose, I could crush it up and put it in her water. It may help her.

I'm posting here for input, either people who can tell me this is a bad idea (if it is) or accounts from those who have given antibiotics in water or those with experience with bird doses who will advise me the best way to do this. Including a picture of antibiotic, and since Nyla was so obliged to squat for a poop while I was taking a picture, a picture of the resultant poop. This smell does not smell, so that's great! But even if she is doing better for now, like I said, this seems to be reoccurring so the thread is important.

Attachments

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry Nyla isn't feeling well during this difficult time. Is it possible for you to say to your vet just what you've said here and ask for professional guidance?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I totally agree with Karen that consultation with your AV before doing anything is the best safest way to go.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
I'm sorry Nyla isn't feeling well during this difficult time. Is it possible for you to say to your vet just what you've said here and ask for professional guidance?
Thank you, Karen. You've been around for a long time!

As I mentioned, I cannot go to the vet at this time. I just got out of college during the pandemic so I'm entering the world in hard times, and I've used the rest of the money I have for 15 days on good pellets. But theoretically when I can go - I've also just moved from a large city with several good bird vets to a small town where I have yet to find an avian doctor. I would take the train back to the city with her if I could right now.

I also think an AV's opinion is needed here, and that gives me the idea to call my old AV about self-administering as I'm sure I can at least get advice. (EDIT: on a second read-through, this is probably what you meant anyway!)

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also think an AV's opinion is needed here, and that gives me the idea to call my old AV about self-administering as I'm sure I can at least get advice. (Edit: on a second read-through, this is probably what you meant anyway!)
Yes, I'm hopeful given these Covid difficult times you will get help over the phone, especilly when you explaain the recent move and not being able to establish a new relationship with a local vet. Good luck! Please let us know.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry you have hit a rough spot in your life. Perhaps between a vet and pharmacist phone consult they can figure out the dosage from a tablet Please let us know.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'm pretty against "self-help" without the guidance of an experienced vet in these things, because the potential for doing more harm than good is quite real.

Putting that aside however, please know that doxycycline is known to cause throat irritation in people and animals, and may cause your bird to regurgitate, so it needs to be given with water to help prevent this. Not necessarily IN the water (I hate this method of delivery because it's so hard to properly dose), but followed by enough water to fully flush the throat.

Without knowing the weight of your bird it's impossible to judge an exact proper dosage, however you'd be looking at having to cut that pill into DOZENS of pieces to make it the appropriate oral dose for your bird's size. Typical dosage is ~10mg/kg, or split into 2x 5mg/kg a day for those patients prone to regurgitation. Think about how small your bird is, and how little the bits are going to need to be and how hard that will be to measure out.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Definitely ask your old vet about dosage, but this might help?

Thank you!! Its great to see the avian doxycycline instructions - for 100mg, no less! Will cross reference this with what an AV says.

Through this, I also found the instructions for culture growing and identification. I own most this stuff, so I may prepare some plates. There is no danger to birds in amateur biota colony identification, so I'm leaving it here for anyone who searching this tag later:

BTW, the issue could be fungal and not bacterial and if that is the case the doxycycline won't help.
True! I'm thinking bacteria based on smell that is reminiscent of streptococci or possibly pseudomonades. Can confirm bacteria / yeast using selective plates, though!

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Without knowing the weight of your bird it's impossible to judge an exact proper dosage, however you'd be looking at having to cut that pill into DOZENS of pieces to make it the appropriate oral dose for your bird's size. Typical dosage is ~10mg/kg, or split into 2x 5mg/kg a day for those patients prone to regurgitation. Think about how small your bird is, and how little the bits are going to need to be and how hard that will be to measure out.
Thank you! I have a scale that is accurate to the hundredth of a gram. I'll weigh her and weigh the pill (if it will be useful to work out weight of inactive ingredients, but since I feel the pills could possibly be uneven in antibiotic distribution I'd rather scale up and dissolve the entire pill in appropriate water, then give her a portion of the water) if I get the green-light.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Thank you! I have a scale that is accurate to the hundredth of a gram. I'll weigh her and weigh the pill (if it will be useful to work out weight of inactive ingredients, but since I feel the pills could possibly be uneven in antibiotic distribution I'd rather scale up and dissolve the entire pill in appropriate water, then give her a portion of the water) if I get the green-light.
Again, only do this if it is okayed by a vet. I have never been successful in dosing via water since my birds will just refuse to drink it, and all I did was waste time and money on pills I was dissolving in water on a daily basis only to have it sit unused.

Communicate with your vet your financial difficulties and they will try to work with you on a solution.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Again, only do this if it is okayed by a vet. I have never been successful in dosing via water since my birds will just refuse to drink it, and all I did was waste time and money on pills I was dissolving in water on a daily basis only to have it sit unused.

Communicate with your vet your financial difficulties and they will try to work with you on a solution.
Context about difficulty you've had with water dosing is very helpful, thank you Rachel. That does give incentive to stick with solid dosage (followed by water, as you say). And all this makes me more prepared for a phone call with my AV. I have some new questions to ask and information to give.

Will definitely consult first, got to wait until the morning due to limited weekend hours... or maybe I'll just branch out and call other vets now since it doesn't necessarily have to be my AV. I will prepare bacterial plates to inoculate for the time being. Appreciate everyone here who has given me input, endured my musings, and wished Nyla well!