• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Seizuring eclectus :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

IheartBirds

Meeting neighbors
I adopted a few former breeders (a male and female), and a week after I got them, the female began to have seizures. She's been to a vet only to determine that nothing can be determined...Her cholestoral and WBC were high, but no infection found. The vet said it could be cardiovascular disease...something she said was very hard to diagnose and treat...She was formerly on an almost all seed diet - she's on a much more ekkie friendly diet of fruits and veggies now...Poor girl. Has anyone else ever dealt with this that can give me advice on ways to cut down on the seizures? She's taking DMG. She's had 4 seizures this month (I've only had her a little over a month)...Of course the previous owner had "NO idea, she's never done that before..blah blah"...yeah.:confused:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
IT may be a lack of calcium know that causes seazures in african greys I do not have anything else to sugest I am so sorry:hug8::hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Land of Vos Eclectus - Main Page do a search of this site and see if you can find anything ....I am so tired tonight I can't do it for you! I'm so sorry this is happening!
This is their message board, so you might be able to ask ?'s there too! landofvos.com • Index page

Please let us know what you find out! Many hugs and sending HEALING ENERGY your way!:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be Metal toxicity. Did they test for that? I hope the vet can have your girl feeling better soon. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Many prayers you and your vet can figure out whats wrong right away so you can get her better. What is her name?

Ginger

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad your girl is under your vet's care. When our boy had seizures we used DMG for it's calming affect.

IheartBirds

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much. Her name is Natasha and her mates name is Borris. She is isolated right now and in a small cage with low perches. Fortunately there haven't been any seizures this week (whew). I am greatful for everyones prayers and reading the links has been very helpful. The vet said her blood work showed her calcium levels to be normal, and she was x-rayed for egg binding and metal toxins, but nothing was found. She wants to run some more tests, but I don't know how much more I can afford and she (my vet) thinks the problem is most likely either heart disease or vascular plaques, because her seizures and weakness are intermittent:(. She has been swabbed, poked, x-rayed ...nothing. It's so bizarre...Last week she seizured and lazed about in her cage, and this week she is bouncing around like she can take on the world. She is soooo sweet too. She just let the vet flip her around with no complaint and she lets me rub on her head which my other rotten baby ekkie would never hear of that)...Its so sad she was a breeder and that she was so ill cared for.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Thank you for taking her in and giving her such good care. You are a good person.

Sending healing energy and warm fuzzies for you and her.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry to hear you're having such problems with your little girl. You may want to try contacting EclectusPetOwnersGroup@yahoogroups.com. They have some very knowledgeable ekkie people who may be able to help you or at least direct you to help such as Laurella Desborough.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Gosh, I wish I could say something that would help. Yea.....she never did this before....whatever. I am dealing with a ferret that is having seizures right now. It seems to be something that they do when they reach 8 or 9 years old. I don't know but my vet told me to start feeding my poor old buy a diet that was easy to digest including a sticky type of vitamin and a special digestive aide. He has improved 100 percent and rarely has these spells. I give him soft foods in a can that are for kittens. I would suggest you maybe find a real good avian vet.
Katherine

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
An Amino-acid that may be useful for a bird dealing with seizures, and convulsion is Taurine, which is made in the body from Cysteine.

IheartBirds

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the Taurine. Fortunately she has been pretty stable the last week - no more seizures and weakness. :dance4:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Metal toxicity might not be seen in an xray but can be detected in the blood...a special test has to be done for lead and for zinc. Did your bet run those tests to rule it out?

Hoping you get some answers....:hug8:

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Our rescue tiel, Sparky, had seizures for years after we got her. (Of course they knew nothing about her seizures and screwed up wing :rolleyes:.) The vet couldn't figure out the exact cause of the seizures, but she gave us medicine. Unfortunately, it didn't help, but the seizures did just stop after a few years. We now believe it was from heavy metal poisoning from her terrible old cage. No real proof, but it's the only thing it seems that would take that long to get out of her system.

Could that be a possibility with your ekkie?

P.S. Glad she hasn't had a seizure this week! :hug8:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
Thank you so much for getting her the help she needs! im so sorry your poor girl is sick! i hope you get some answers soon! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.