• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking advice on cockatiel care and handling.

a22

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey there! I could really use some advice about these two cockatiels we were gifted around a week ago. We've got a male and a female, but let me tell you, they're not exactly the friendliest birds out there. Every time I approach their cage, they start panicking and either fly to the other side or hide in this tiny little room they've got. But here's the kicker: I just found out they've actually laid two eggs in that cozy hiding spot!

Now, here's where I'm feeling a bit lost. I make sure to change their food every day, provide fresh water, and I've even started offering them some veggies (although they're not really into anything besides lettuce). Should I consider getting any special equipment, like a heat lamp perhaps, to help with the eggs? I've heard that the mama bird usually takes care of keeping them warm, and she seems to be doing her job so far. I gotta admit, they're super protective, but I'm honestly worried about what will happen to those little chicks once they hatch.

If anyone's got some advice on what to do next, I'd really appreciate it.
I just want to make sure these birds and their future babies turn out alright.