• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeds to Pellets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
When I got into birds, I was clueless. And like alot of ignorant but well intentioned parronts, I started my birds on a seed mix. I always fed them alot of fruits and veggies. They also get a few cashews and almonds for the extra fat. So overall, I think their diet has been pretty good.

I started transitioning them to pellets - Zupreem (a mix of colored and natural). A YEAR LATER, Elvis is only eating purple and orange. And I honestly believe that Ringo would rather not eat than eat pellets. So of course, I give in and feed them the seed mix becaue I hate the thought of them not eating.

So, for those of you who have successfully managed to convert your seed addicts, PLEASE give me some help. Can you give me a schedule of weaning?

Is it possible that Ringo would starve bfore eating, or am I just paranoid?? The last time Ringo went to the vet, all of her bloodwork was great. So I feel like if I start now, the damage will be minimal.

With all of this talk about our macaws being hormonal, I really want to reduce the unnecessary "bad" behavior because of an improper diet...Thanks to you all!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I had to trick my birds into eating them. Both of my budgies came to me on seed diets. I converted Gem successfully into liking veggies through patience and determination, and I was happy that he was at least getting some good nutrition from that. Pellets were always ignored.

The same happened with Tango when I got him. I got him to eat his veggies but neither would touch pellets. I've had to soak pellets in birdy bread mix and then bake it-- they never notice the Zupreem in there and chow away. Recently I've also soaked their pellets with warm water and then mixed it with their chopped veggies. The pellets get a little more attention from the boys that way.

Beep was the best in terms of diet. His breeder fed him veggies, pellets (which he liked!), and a small amount of seed mix.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
When I got into birds, I was clueless. And like alot of ignorant but well intentioned parronts, I started my birds on a seed mix. I always fed them alot of fruits and veggies. They also get a few cashews and almonds for the extra fat. So overall, I think their diet has been pretty good.

I started transitioning them to pellets - Zupreem (a mix of colored and natural). A YEAR LATER, Elvis is only eating purple and orange. And I honestly believe that Ringo would rather not eat than eat pellets. So of course, I give in and feed them the seed mix becaue I hate the thought of them not eating.

So, for those of you who have successfully managed to convert your seed addicts, PLEASE give me some help. Can you give me a schedule of weaning?

Is it possible that Ringo would starve bfore eating, or am I just paranoid?? The last time Ringo went to the vet, all of her bloodwork was great. So I feel like if I start now, the damage will be minimal.

With all of this talk about our macaws being hormonal, I really want to reduce the unnecessary "bad" behavior because of an improper diet...Thanks to you all!

Have you tried other types of pellets? I feed Lafebers pellets and I swear I have never had birds convert quicker. They LOVE this stuff and they're all the same so there is no picking some and leaving some like they did when I fed the Zupreem fruit blend.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
We converted TJ off seeds to pellets. We started off with a mix, but of course he ate the seeds and not the pellets. So, we just pulled the seeds and just gave him pellets. He didn't eat for about a day and a half, but then finally got hungry and gave in. He only eats the green and orange ones. He will "throw" out the red ones all over the floor. :hehe:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Most of my fids came to me already eating pellets. The exceptions were the three lovies. Leyla and Nin switched over quite quickly, I think a couple weeks or something? They were young when I transitioned them over. Now getting them to eat more fresh foods instead-- that took longer!

Kermit took about 4 months to finally start eating pellets. I originally was mixing seed/pellets together, but he was wasting a lot of pellts, so I ended up giving him two separate bowls side-by-side for each food.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Have you tried other types of pellets? I feed Lafebers pellets and I swear I have never had birds convert quicker. They LOVE this stuff and they're all the same so there is no picking some and leaving some like they did when I fed the Zupreem fruit blend.
No, but I'll buy some asap. Where do you get it?

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
Nugget who my mom's parrotlet has been a seed junkie for the last six years but recently i've begun to change him.

i've bought Avi Cakes(which the Lafeber company also makes)which are chewy squares that are a mix of pellets and seeds and been giving eqaul amounts of Avi Cake and his seed. been offering this to him for a couple months now and he's actually eating the Avi Cake first the the plain seed. soon i hope to introduce so ZuPreem Natural pellets to the mix so i can get him on to pellets.

True Love Aviary sells Avi Cakes but the only site i know that sells the pellets is petco.om

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Almost every bird that has come her has been on seed. I have switched them all to Zupreem Naturals
Natural Bird Food | ZuPreem
AvianEntrées® Premium Bird Food | ZuPreem

I have had no problems with converting them. Marie and the new African Grey eats it with no problem. I took the seed away from Malachi and Reba abruptly and I watched them to make sure they were eating and not being stubborn. Malachi would throw it out of the dish and I would refill it and he would do it again. Finally I took the food bowl out of the cage for about 20 min. and then put it back in and Malachi decided that he was going to eat it. Reba gave me a dirty look when I took her seed away and gave her this and then she decided that she wasn't getting her seed and she decided to eat it, about 2 hours after I gave it to her.
So far I have had nothing but good things with this diet. :)

Last edited:

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Skylar came to me on a all seed diet.

At first I would mix pellets and seeds together.
Then he would only eats the seed so I took his seed away during the day. And all he had was pellets. Then put his seeds back at night when I saw that he was eating his pellets I just gave him pellets for a few days. Now he eats seeds and pellets in two different bowls. He is on Zupreem he gets every flavor they make.

He went crazy for fresh vegy for the first few days. Then he wont touch them now not sure why I think there not fresh enough for him.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
All my flock, except for Luke, came to me as seed junkies. All eat pellets, fresh foods and some seed as a treat now. Patience, persistence, eating the pellets yourself like they're the best thing ever, trickery, and even a little tough love have all come into play here.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I might start with pellets for 1/2 a day and seed in the evening. I'm just worried they are going to lose weight drastically. I just got Elvis' weight back up after a beak trimming that left hom not eating for about a week.

Mrs. PBJ

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kat
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I might start with pellets for 1/2 a day and seed in the evening. I'm just worried they are going to lose weight drastically. I just got Elvis' weight back up after a beak trimming that left hom not eating for about a week.

Skylar ate pellets when thats all he had during the day I dont think they will starve them selves

Although I am very new to birds so not completely sure but Skylar switch very quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.