• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed stuck in throat: Bella RFM at Vet all weekend w/Oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
The RFM that we are preparing to foster, Bella, was breathing a bit funny in her previous foster home last week, they got her into our Avian Vet on Thursday and all looked normal, stools, eating, and activity but breathing was audibly raspy. They took X-Rays and found a seed (or piece of one) stuck deep in her throat. I had never heard of this before, and I did not speak directly to the vet, but apparently it is in a difficult spot, close to or above her heart, and cannot be extracted without putting her under and scoping it out which they do not want to do unless absolutely necessary as the procedure is risky. She is now spending the weekend at the vet with oxygen in hopes that she will will simply work it through her system on her own. We will get more info on Monday when they will likely recommend a course of action. We are very sad for her as we were looking to bring her into our home last week and are now on hold hoping she can make it through this. She is in the right place as we trust our vet as she is very well regarded in our area. Still, not sure if it necessary for her to be isolated at the vet throughout this, apparently it can be risky even if she passes the seed on her own as it could kill her if it takes the wrong course.

Have any of you encountered this before and could help shed some light on the situation for me so I know what to expect? Thank you.

549110_439577629454014_1935313084_n.jpg

tpoduje

Real Name
Todd
It's been stressful waiting, especially knowing there is little they can do to help immediately. Hoping for the best now... :scared6:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
The RFM that we are preparing to foster, Bella, was breathing a bit funny in her previous foster home last week, they got her into our Avian Vet on Thursday and all looked normal, stools, eating, and activity but breathing was audibly raspy. They took X-Rays and found a seed (or piece of one) stuck deep in her throat. I had never heard of this before, and I did not speak directly to the vet, but apparently it is in a difficult spot, close to or above her heart, and cannot be extracted without putting her under and scoping it out which they do not want to do unless absolutely necessary as the procedure is risky. She is now spending the weekend at the vet with oxygen in hopes that she will will simply work it through her system on her own. We will get more info on Monday when they will likely recommend a course of action. We are very sad for her as we were looking to bring her into our home last week and are now on hold hoping she can make it through this. She is in the right place as we trust our vet as she is very well regarded in our area. Still, not sure if it necessary for her to be isolated at the vet throughout this, apparently it can be risky even if she passes the seed on her own as it could kill her if it takes the wrong course.

Have any of you encountered this before and could help shed some light on the situation for me so I know what to expect? Thank you.

View attachment 140065
:hug8:

Hi Todd, very disturbing indeed. I did have this happen to me when I lived in Peru. It seemed to be a freak accident. We didn't observe symptoms, and our bird died suddenly. We were lucky to have a vet reasonably experienced with birds, who did necropsy and found the seed lodged. I am sorry the info I have is so negative. I wish Bella all the best. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Many many prayers on t he way for Bella:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'll be thinking of you and Bella :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Praying for Bella and the seed be done with!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending warm thoughts for beautiful Bella. :heart: May her recovery be swift and simple :angel1:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What a lovely girl. Praying also that she works that seed through herself, and has no complications.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beauty,sending lots of prayers for a quick recovery winging her way :heart:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Good thoughts coming that the seed works its way through without any complications. I just took one of my tiels to the vet Thursday - noticed he was having a little trouble breathing and looked like he was sniffling. Made an appointment for him that day - he looked better as the day went on - kept the appointment anyway. The vet said he looked very healthy, sounds clear, no discharge or draining, gram stain normal. Told me to continue watching him but did think he may have had a seed or hull stuck.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Can't help but sending thoughts,prayers and :hug8::hug8::hug8:

tpoduje

Real Name
Todd
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers, I was shocked to hear this could be so dangerous. I just wish she could hack it up or wiggle it down the right way. We are thinking of her constantly and can only hope we get the chance to host her after all. There is a lot of unfinished preening I am to do for that poor dear! Will let you know as soon as we know more.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Many positive prayers coming Bella's way to work that seed out. Bella is in good hands.:heart:

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Hope she has a speedy recovery and it ends up being nothing serious. Scary thought that a seed can get lodged like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.