• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed sprout questions :)

birdienerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
You can call me Birdie or J/Jay!
I’ve started sprouting my own seeds for the birbies, And just want to know if they can eat the following seeds (once sprouted) ; Silverbeet, Parsley, Coriander, Pumpkin (Butternut), Deshelled sunflower seeds and Tomato.

Every safe seed list online is different, So many contradictory answers aaagh! So far they’ve loved seed mix sprouts and broccoli sprouts!
Another question, How long will the sprouts be safe/viable? I’ve been told to chuck them if they smell bad or look odd, But if its been a few weeks and they smell and look fine, are they really fine?

Thank you in advance for the help :p !!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't keep sprouts longer than a week personally.

If the answers are contradictory, skip it. Not worth the risk.

Sunflower seeds are fine for sure. I would have to Google the rest. Tomato sprouts I would hesitate with, as the greens (leaves and stems) are usually considered unsafe to eat. People CAN eat them because they have a low dose of the nightshade family toxin, but we don't know the acceptable dose for parrots.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Yeah, 1 week at most. Be sure to rinse daily.

birdienerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
You can call me Birdie or J/Jay!
I don't keep sprouts longer than a week personally.

If the answers are contradictory, skip it. Not worth the risk.

Sunflower seeds are fine for sure. I would have to Google the rest. Tomato sprouts I would hesitate with, as the greens (leaves and stems) are usually considered unsafe to eat. People CAN eat them because they have a low dose of the nightshade family toxin, but we don't know the acceptable dose for parrots.
Ive been wary of tomatoes due to the acidity level, i had no idea they were in the nightshade family!! Thank you for that info, Definitely steering clear of the tomatoes now ! The birbs have loved the sunflower sprouts, And im still unsure on the other seeds. Will be tossing any unused sprouts after a week now, Thank you!!!! :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tomatoes get a bad rep for being "acidic" but honestly a lot of berries are more acidic than tomatoes!

Nightshades are a huge group of plants. White potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers are all nightshades. The fruits of these plants are not toxic, but the leaves and stems can be.