• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second Linnie

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I plan to start with just the single Linnie, but I think that I’d like to add a friend for her in 6-8 months. This would give us a chance to bond first before a new kid was added.
I’m fairly sure that (after quarantine) they would be caged separately for a period of time until it was appropriate for them to be housed together. I’d put the cages next to each other so that they could hear/see each other. Co-housing would likely just be connecting the two cages and removing a panel or two for extra room.

Both would be from the same breeder and hand raised.
My first Linnie is likely going to be a female; but should that automatically mean that the second one should be too?
I know that female parrots can tend to be (generally) more territorial and they often don’t work well in pairs like two males would (this is obviously bird dependent though).

So. Are female Linnies typically happier with a male partner, or is another female not as big a deal as I’m thinking?

I am not opposed to preventive breeding measures for a mixed pair, as that seems like a lot less work than having to house two girls separately who may not get along…

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I plan to start with just the single Linnie, but I think that I’d like to add a friend for her in 6-8 months. This would give us a chance to bond first before a new kid was added.
I’m fairly sure that (after quarantine) they would be caged separately for a period of time until it was appropriate for them to be housed together. I’d put the cages next to each other so that they could hear/see each other. Co-housing would likely just be connecting the two cages and removing a panel or two for extra room.

Both would be from the same breeder and hand raised.
My first Linnie is likely going to be a female; but should that automatically mean that the second one should be too?
I know that female parrots can tend to be (generally) more territorial and they often don’t work well in pairs like two males would (this is obviously bird dependent though).

So. Are female Linnies typically happier with a male partner, or is another female not as big a deal as I’m thinking?

I am not opposed to preventive breeding measures for a mixed pair, as that seems like a lot less work than having to house two girls separately who may not get along…
Hi there!
Welcome to the Avenue!! :)
I've heard from linnie breeders that they usually are quite cage aggressive toward other birds and can seriously injure them.
When thinking about getting a second bird, don't expect them to bond. There are many people that get their parrots a companion only for them to be enemies.
Get another linnie because you want another one.
As for female parrots being more territorial, I guess it really depends on the species, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think that male linnies are more territorial.
Lineolated parakeets shouldn't really be housed together if they aren't bonded or breeding.
If you're really set, then I'd go with two females in seperated caging.
Goodluck!

sriseahawk

Meeting neighbors
So I spoke with the breeder the other day about this.

She said that Linnies are atypical in the parrot world, but that if I planned to have two that I should both get boys and stay away from a mixed pair. Two girls is fine, but then I just have to be on the lookout for any potential egg laying, but a mixed pair "may" be fine but they tend to get more hormonal and possessive.
So, long-story-short, if I want two that will more than likely go well together and have no issues with eggs; boys are the easiest way to go (much like budgies).

Her other breeding pair is just starting to roost, so I moved my reservation to that group to ensure that I could start with a male. It pushes out my take-home date by a month or so, but that's totally fine with me.

I know that the cage that I got is large enough for two, but I honestly may just get the same exact cage again and remove the side panels and join them together. The space that I have carved out in my living room between two windows is "just" the right size for that