• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seb's plucking getting worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Seb has been a plucker for as long as I have had him (I got him when he was 6, he's a 12 year old male cockatiel). Since I got his new buddy, Oskar, he has been plucking more and looks like he is giving himself that start of bloody sores. Oskar was checked out (I adopted him from a bird sanctuary) and doesn't have mites. Is Seb plucking more because of stress over Oskar? It's so hard to know because I can't ask him directly what is going on. I really hate to see my little guy suffering. (I feel itchy now after reading about bird mites, but I ALWAYS feel itchy if I read about things like mites, I KNOW it is psycho-somatic). Anyway- I read online that to help ease itchy skin, you can spray a bird with water with a small amount of apple cider vinegar in it (being careful not to get in their eyes)- has anyone tried this? Would it dry their skin out? I feel like I need to do something to help Sebby, his skin looks sore and raw. :(

ANY ideas would be helpful. He seems to get a bit nervous in baths at first, but also seems to enjoy the warm water being gently poured over his back, chest and wings. And after his baths, both times, he has cuddled with me, something he never does EVER otherwise. Earlier today he even slept on my shoulder for about half an hour. That is something that has happened maybe only one other time before in 6 years because of his intense anxiety, so I am thinking that the baths are helping, even though this was only his second.

Please, I will take any idea or try anything within reason to help- if it can't hurt him I will try it.

Last edited:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure how much I can help you out here.Does Seb, look like he's stressing more since Oskar has been there? what is your setup for both birds?I was wondering how much out of cage time they have?Does Oskar bother Seb if they are out together? Sorry for all the questions.I have never sprayed any birds with the acv. I do put it in hiram's water somedays.All I can suggest, if he doesn't get better you should see an avian vet for him.

I'm hoping someone else will come along to give you some more advice.

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Has he been vetted or tested and treated for giardia? Tiels are very susceptible to this organism. It's very hard to catch though. What about diet. I would eliminate anything with peanuts for 3 weeks, then corn, keep going to see if it could be an allergy.

You can add flax oil to his diet. Is he getting enough calcium. And somebody on here said a little bit of salt is a good thing for Tiels.

Ginger

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not sure about the ACV in a spray, but I know many swear by it when adding a drop or two to the drinking water.

When my Goffin has a bad plucking spell I add Pure Aloe Vera juice to water. I'll brew some chamomile tea, and add that also to the mixture. In super bad cases I've added a drop or two of baby benedryl also.

The Aloe Vera calms down the irrated skin that is the plucking circle. The tea is a relaxing and calming agent. And you probably know what the benedryl does.

When I add the benedryl my Too will doze a little more, but that's not a bad thing when her plucking gets really bad.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
He was checked out by an avian vet before I adopted him, but I was also concerned and took him to the vet- the vet checked him out. This was a while ago, but I think giardia was checked. The place I adopted him from is very, VERY careful with their birds. They are an exotic bird rescue sanctuary and ask a ton of questions. I have emailed my contact there multiple times about Seb over the years (I even considered once that perhaps I wasn't a good fit for him) and she said that she didn't think anyone else could do any better.

They both have their own cages. They sleep in their own cages side by side at night, covered. They seem to like being next to one another. They are out pretty much all day, a few feet from me always. They have gotten into minor hissing scraps, etc, since they have been together, which I can easily break up. When I pick Oskar up and sit with him, Seb screams at me to return him. So I am guessing their fights are more about Seb establishing dominance and Oskar not backing down, but so far, nothing serious, although they are never alone together.

I might email Jenny, my contact, and ask about Giardia, just in case. I doubt that's it. However, if it is, does anyone know how much it costs to diagnose and treat? Thanks.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
Macaw- is the baby benedryl safe for birds? I am really protective of Seb. Anything that would calm him down, and perhaps relieve the urge (his skin looks like it might be itchy, simply because it is also dryer now- I mist him, etc). Anyway, have you gotten an okay from a vet about baby benedry? Is it safe or tiels? He is a VERY anxious, neurotic tiel and I have a feeling that is what is driving this plucking and that's what the vets told me too (it's psychological). Any special bird cream I could rub on him, or sprays would be helpful and any supplements or safe vet-approved meds that might calm him down. Thanks. More info about the benedryl drops please. I know birds are very sensitive to all sorts of things, is it safe?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes, it is safe for birds, my Avian Vet is the one who gave me the measurements to use. He offered my the shots for my Too's hormonal plucking, but I didn't want to go there. So he told me to try the misting spray, and add the Benedryl when she got bad.

I've been doing this for 17 years. It's not something she's on regularly, I only start it when she's plucking badly. Also don't forget, from the Benedryl you put in the mister, all your bird's getting is what's sprayed onto the feathers.

You can also add it too the water bottle if you want.

I'll look up the amounts to use, and post it once I find it.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I just checked my 'saved' stuff, and the amount is 1 cc per 4 ounces water. This is for drinking water. For putting in a mister, you can judge for yourself how much to add.

This is the dosage for my Goffin Too. I am not sure whether a Teil is OK with the same amount. My vet just gave me the dosage, you could try and call one yourself.

cockatielmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lex Kinast
[h=6]I just spoke to Jenny, the woman who works at the bird sanctuary I got both Seb and Oskar from. She saw Seb less than a week ago and says he is fine, that this is his habit and that I am doing everything right and that a vet visit isn't necessary, but sometimes birds pluck and I am making myself a bit nuts trying to fix him. She suggested misting him with water and aloe vera, and putting apple cider vinegar (a little) in his water if I want. I also am going to get him vitamins for his water, anyway. She said I am doing a great job and should relax- I feel a lot better. It's nice to get reassured from someone who has spent their life caring for birds and is passionate about them and volunteers so much of their time to help them.[/h]
But yet, there is still this nagging part of me saying "Lex, you have to fix him..." I was up all night last night researching homeopathic cures for plucking and behavioral distress in cockatiels, etc, etc, etc... I think I am going to go chill now. I will get vitamins, pick up some treats (whether he eats them or not is debatable) and maybe some new shreddable toys, aloe vera and if I remember the Bach's rescue remedy. But apparently what I am doing right now is good. :)

That said, if anyone knows of any good anti-itching spray for birds... :) (No, i don't give up). Apparently the bitter apple bird spray doesn't work, and I was told that the King's Pluck No More is almost certainly a waste of money in this case.

So. Seb. My little plucked chicken cockatiel. :) (He just yawned and is sleeping and resting and doesn't seem agitated- and there are no feathers on the bottom of his cage, so maybe it's my imagination that his plucking is worse and I am assuming he is stressed because of Oskar?)

But he likes Oskar. As much as a bird his age will like a sudden new tiel. Oskar is missing some feathers from the back of his head, where some bird plucked them out, but I know it wasn't Seb- Oskar came like that, so hopefully they grow back.

Seb was a special needs tiel, and Oskar has night terrors and was abandoned in his cage. My cat was abused and I was told never to get her, and my rat, House (who is very old and I think probably won't make it till christmas :() was taken from his mother too young and I bought him and fed him milk from my finger tip all day. My habit is to adopt the animals other people don't want to adopt because of behavioral problems, but I have to accept maybe that sometimes I can't "fix" an animal and make them "normal".

He (Seb) does seem to like the baths. He breathes harder afterwards, as if he is nervous, but he does seem to enjoy the warm water on his plucked chicken little body.

I love my pets so much. I just want to say that (am feeling very emotional after seeing House at my buddy's house today). I don't even really know exactly how old Seb is (Jenny is thinking he might actually be a lot older) and we don't know how bad the first bit of his life was. I have more info about Oskar.

Seb seems very peaceful right now, sleepy baby. I love that little cranky, stubborn, anxious, tenacious, pigheaded, silly little guy SO MUCH! (I love Oskar too, but I have been worried about Seb)- also I don't have a digital camera anymore, which is why I don't have a photo of Oskar to post online here.

Seb, the cutie, has his little (actually, big, they are much bigger than oskar's) eyes shut and is "silent talking". :lol:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
tiels are not normally pluckers and the usual underlying cause is giardia...I would get him rechecked..however, there have been known to be a few cases (mind you this is rare) of tiels plucking due to behaviorial issues such as abuse..unfortunately your Seb might fit that bill...however, even then tiels plucking for that reason are still rare..so I would still get the giardia rechecked...while tiels are sensitive, usually timid birds...they do not pluck as regularly as other species do so a recheck for giardia is in order..also a general vet check for any other medical issues...(and keeping in mind that a first blood test for giardia can sometimes be negative that is why more than one test is often recommended)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think it is nice how you care for Seb.
I don't have much to add, as you've gotten great suggestions.
You can check out Giardia Test Kit for Birds for test kits for Giardia.
About benedryl, my avian vet has suggested it for my Hahns who gets carsick. The dose is based on weight, so it would be best to consult a vet.
:hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
tiels are not normally pluckers and the usual underlying cause is giardia...I would get him rechecked..however, there have been known to be a few cases (mind you this is rare) of tiels plucking due to behaviorial issues such as abuse..unfortunately your Seb might fit that bill...however, even then tiels plucking for that reason are still rare..so I would still get the giardia rechecked...while tiels are sensitive, usually timid birds...they do not pluck as regularly as other species do so a recheck for giardia is in order..also a general vet check for any other medical issues...(and keeping in mind that a first blood test for giardia can sometimes be negative that is why more than one test is often recommended)
I know with dogs Giardia often never even shows up when present. It's very hard to diagnose. Many vets just treat for it if the syptoms are strong enough.

Is there the same problem with diagnosis in birds? Is the treatment as benign for birds (harmless) as for dogs? Would treatment without surety be a problem?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had a tiel that plucked. She was checked for everything and all the tests came back ok. As a last resort I tried "PLUCK NO MORE" and it worked for her. Its got flower and plant extracts in it.. I guess its worth a shot, consult your vet. Good luck.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I would never treat a bird w/human meds UNLESS YOUR vet says to. Benedryl syrup is sticky, so I wouldn't spray it on feathers. When you spray your bird, I would advise you to use distilled water, the (100% pure) aloe, & the chamomile tea--the tea not only calms when injested, but is topically soothing (great for sunburn on people). For proportions, about 1 teaspoon in 6 oz water, w/2 oz strong chamomile tea I believe is standard. I, too, love the way you care for the animals nobody else wants :heart:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
macawpowe said:
When my Goffin has a bad plucking spell I add Pure Aloe Vera juice to water. I'll brew some chamomile tea, and add that also to the mixture. In super bad cases I've added a drop or two of baby benedryl also.

Hey, Macaw, I disagreed w/using Benadryl just on general principle of NEVER giving human meds to animals unless directed to by your vet. For example, I never would have dreamed you can give aspirin to your dog, but it can kill your cat! Please don't be offended!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.