• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seabirds of Texas

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
This past weekend I had a little beach getaway. We rented a beach house and got to hang out on the island for a couple of days. While I was there, I made it my mission to photograph as many seabird species as I could! I saw quite a few different species, but I am only going to post the ones that I got photographs of. Some of them were too fast, or I saw them when I didn't have my camera. Also, it looks like I am going to have to upload these to imgur and then share the links in my post because the forum cannot handle the file size. You will be able to see the photos in the full quality if you click on the embedded pictures instead of just viewing the previews.

Going to start off with a common one that I just couldn't resist photographing... the Great-Tailed Grackle! These guys are not really sea birds, but they are very photogenic! They are everywhere around here but a personal favorite bird of mine.

Next is this adorable Western Sandpiper I followed along the beach. She was looking for crabs in the seaweed clumps.

I'm going to include all of the Heron species together. These guys include the Great Blue Heron, the Great Egret, the Snowy Egret, the Tricolored Heron, and the Yellow Crowned Night Heron.

Next is the Laughing Gull. They are so stunning with their bright red beaks. I photographed hundreds of these guys but just picked my favorite couple of photos to share.

These last guys are the "oddballs" that don't exactly fit in anywhere else. They are the Magnificent Frigatebird, the White Ibis, and the Roseate Spoonbill. The Roseate Spoonbill was my golden egg on this trip. I searched and searched for one but never saw one until I got this photo. It's a horrible photo too, the bird is in the background flying away, but I was so excited I actually saw one so I am sharing it anyway. :tongue2: It gives me hope that if I were to go back some other time, I may get a better photo.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! You got some absolutely fabulous pics. Sounds like you had a fun time.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Beautiful birds, great shots!