• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screened Porch as Aviary?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I have a screened porch in the back of my house. I don’t think it could be used as a full-time aviary, but I’d love it as a place for the boys to spend time during the day.

It needs a very thorough cleaning, and the screening needs to be replaced. I was thinking of putting some small, bird-safe trees in pots out there for them to play in and chew on. Stands, toys, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, safety tips? Thank you!!

AE25E665-EC2F-4823-B94A-11750BB22800.jpeg 4111F5C3-35A6-4675-8C94-D7D9684A7925.jpeg 101B6497-A5F1-494A-8ACE-D3D64F94EBF1.jpeg
EE8AF810-75BB-421E-937F-84D03097F637.jpeg

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
That would be perfect. I really wish I had some place like that. Unfortunately all I can do now is take Howard out in his carrier, Billy in his whole house and Koko in an extra cage that's smaller. Hopefully we can start on something bigger. Please keep us posted.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Omg I’m so jealous of your awesome outdoor area and extremely happy for you and your birds at the same time lol.

Why are you not already using it??

The only thing I’d be concerned about is (if it’s normal fly wire/screen) the strength of the screens, just want to make sure no stray dogs or cats can tear in and also if you have birds of prey in the area like we do you’ll want to ensure the screens can keep them out too.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone for the kind compliments on the space! To answer @Shezbug 's question, I live in a great, big, mid-60's house. My late husband and I bought this house four months before we got married so that his children, step-children, and grandchildren could come over, have plenty of room, and a fun place to play. We had only been married for 6 years when he died in 2015 (his kids were adults when we married). I haven't been on that back porch since a few months before he passed. That's why it's so filthy--and has a canoe living in it, lol!

And yes, we have Red-tailed and Coopers Hawks in the area! So I'm hoping to use stainless screening--if I can afford it. I'm not sure what else I can use that would be strong enough to keep the local predators out. I need to work on the doors, too, because they are a bit flimsy but do fit into the door frames tightly.

Edited to add: Does anyone know if there are vinyl screen materials that are strong enough to ward off the occasional prey animal?

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
That looks like a beautiful place for your birds! :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a fabulous space! I might do double duty and hang netting outside the screen as well just so nothing busts in. But alas, I am a worry wart.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been considering double screens. I'm not sure how that would work, but we'll see!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I honestly can’t give advice, but I am here loving the space you have. That would be a great space for the birdys to hang out in!
My condolences for you late husband :bighug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm wondering if the DocaScreen could be put on the outside of the screens already there? It would offer two layers of protection and the original screens could stay in. I don't have a lot of help with home projects anymore so I'm always looking at ways to make things safe but easier for me to manage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm wondering if the DocaScreen could be put on the outside of the screens already there? It would offer two layers of protection and the original screens could stay in. I don't have a lot of help with home projects anymore so I'm always looking at ways to make things safe but easier for me to manage.
The current screen has holes in two locations. I occasionally get an overly zealous Carolina Wren who would like to make a nest on my porch, finds the hole, but then can't figure out how to get back out. So, I hear her and have to go open one of the doors so she can escape again. Lol! The screening will have to be replaced regardless of birdlandia :)

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
true, but couldn't you remove one layer of screens to clean the other ones?
ill tag @Destiny maybe she has a better idea for screening