• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

alice.roland

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Roland
Hi my goffin Paris has started a bad habit of screamming during the family social times ie dinner time, tv time, bed time, pretty much anytime someone is in the room and not giving her attention. We have tried removing her from the area, mostly letting her hang out on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom with the door closed but this does not always work. any suggestions? my husband is to the point of frustration and the kids aren't too keen on her screaming either. :confused:

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
separating her will hardly take care of the issue. She may just want to be included. Giver her some interactive toys to redirect her attention or let her watch some tv during these times. Putting her by herself is going to frustrate her more and want attention more. My YCM was a screaming fanatic and all it took was to redirect the behavior. I made a toy with a paper cup, string, peanut, and beads. I tied the peanut at the bottom of the cup, strung the beads, tied knots, added a few wood blicks and stuffed the cup with shredded paper. If made Mickey have to tone the noise down enough to get in the cup. he got his treat in the end. Also, reward silence. If she's alone and not screaming, let her know that she's doing good and reward that behavior.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
What do you do when she begins screaming? That's a good starting point for advice.

alice.roland

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Roland
sometimes we just talk to her and tell her to hush or be quiet. usally doesn't work. she will settle for a bit when someone walks to her cage and talks to her but that is hit and miss. I have tried adding more solo interaction things to her cage and that seemed to help for a few days. I also switched to a darked cage cover thinking that if I cut out some of her daylight in the evenings it might help.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
"Telling her to be quiet" is the problem. She wants attention and when she screams you acknowledge that, thus further reinforcing the screaming.
She doesn't understand that you're telling her to be quiet, all she knows is that when she screams you reward her with attention.

Ignore her screaming at all costs, and give her a lot of toys while you're in the same room.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Try calling out to her when you are out of the room ..this acts as a contact call (a natural parrot behaviour) and reassures them, you might also say something like.."I'll be back in a minute" or "won't be long, just getting ..." as you might a little kid. Eventually they get what you mean. I can put my corella Dusty somewhere and leave the room with a "back in a minute" and she'll wait like a good girl. You don't have to rush back to speak to her and as others have said you make aproblem for yourself. If she's shouting when you're in the room, try answering her in a whisper, this usually makes them shut up and listen to you...you of course then reward the behaviour with a treat or scritch.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
make a diary of her screaming the whole enviorment note every thing what is on tv what you are doing ecetra my goffins scream when they do not like the music or tv when i am eating and they do not have any when the temprature is to hot or cold and generaly when i do not follow a schedule or fighting when i am loud they are too

Status
Not open for further replies.