• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screamfest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ever have just one of those days when the screaming just gets on your last nerve? Ugh.

I don't know what gets into him some nights, and mostly I can tell when he is going to start. He makes certain whistles just before he starts in with the screams. Sometimes I can redirect him, sometimes not. Some nights it is just really hard to bear. And so frustrating. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Nothing some good noise canceling headphones and some great tunes on your iPod can't fix. :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well Terri, you know that I know what you are going through. Redirecting his attention is great if you can. I usually can very easily redirect Sammy. Some times though it does not work. I do notice it is worse during this time of year so maybe the end is in sight when spring is over. Hugs!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Oh boy do I know what you mean! :rolleyes: I always ask Chewie if all that carrying on is necessary, evidently he thinks it is. I know it does get to you at times but if redirecting does not work all you can really do is your best to ignore it because other reactions will just encourage it more. Good idea John with the noise cancelling ear phones and some good music, like that idea :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Trouble is, often the ipod is in the speaker base thing where the birds are, where I can't get to it while he is fussing. Most often we'll play music as breakie is prepared. But the head phones is a great idea.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
Is it before bed time that he starts screaming? Have you tried covering his cage when its bed time for him?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Luckily Squeeky does more talking and singing then he does screaming although lately he has gotten into doing this new high pitched scream/squeal thing. He never annoys me because I can just tune him out when I want.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Trouble is, often the ipod is in the speaker base thing where the birds are, where I can't get to it while he is fussing.
I use wireless Bluetooth headphones. You can get a dongle that plugs into the headphone jack that will give any audio device Bluetooth capability.

The other alternative is to put the iPod in your pocket with headphones and not putting it in that dock.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never thought of the wireless bluetooth headphones, John. Thanks. Guess I'll move the ipod speaker base, too. Maybe it's the country music he doesn't care for. :p
He'll scream through that, too.

Greenparrot, he'll scream anytime, but lately it has been while I make breakfast for him and the tiels. It's not the regular greeting of the day chirps and whistles.

He is covered at bedtime and only then. Never when he screams. I did do that when I did not know any better.

He came to us with this screaming problem and we've managed to cut down the screaming by 70-90 per cent overall. He screams more around me, so I am the 70%. Maybe that's the best it will get. It's just every one in a while the screaming makes me mental.:rolleyes:

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I know how you feel. My amazon would also go into screaming mode every morning and night and some days during tha day as well for the first year that she came to live with us. I would try and figure what she might want and she did that but it seemed that the times of the day she was screaming matched with those of the flock calls that wild parrots will also do. (when she woke up-before bed time). So I wanted to discourage this behavior and I would close the door of the room behind me and I would only open it when she'd stay quiet for 1'. Now she rarely screams. She is still vocal but no screaming. She knows that if she starts screaming everyone will leave the room and she'll stay all on her own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.