• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scrambled eggs

Greymommy

Moving in
Hi there
I’m a new mommy to a Congo African Grey of 7 months old. I fed him scrambled eggs (2 teaspoons) in a little bit of olive oil, a pinch of black pepper today morning. He had a bit of apples as well. Since then, he hasn’t eaten anything. He usually takes some formula as top feed 2 times a day, especially before bedtime, but he hasn’t taken any today. His poop had a lot of pee and very little poop. Could someone please let me know if this is normal? I’m really worried since he is normally a good eater. Can baby birds his age be fed scrambled eggs? If yes, then how much and how often?

One more thing I noticed today is he has been chewing his left foot constantly. Hasn’t hurt himself, though. I checked his feet and didn’t find anything.

Other than that, he is active and chirping too.

Worried new mom...please help

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:bump8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Scrambled eggs, especially with pepper, may be a little much for a baby bird. He may just have an upset stomach and it will clear up in 24-36 hours. If not - off to the vet.

Be careful throughout his life with fatty foods (such as egg yolks). The CAGs are one of the species most inclined to atherosclerosis (the silent killer).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Be careful throughout his life with fatty foods (such as egg yolks). The CAGs are one of the species most inclined to atherosclerosis (the silent killer).
Good advice.

Greymommy

Moving in
Scrambled eggs, especially with pepper, may be a little much for a baby bird. He may just have an upset stomach and it will clear up in 24-36 hours. If not - off to the vet.

Thank you so much! I’ll leave out the pepper from the eggs. Could you please let me know at what age he could have egg and how much/how often? I’m getting conflicting answers on the web.

Much Appreciated

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had a Purple Martin colony for many years. As landlords we often have to fed the martins, to prevent starvation, during bad weather, as they are insect eating birds. Many use scrambled eggs. Too many & they get lose bowel. Eggs are also high protein, so they would make the bird feel fuller longer. I'd suggest you fed mixed veggies or softened pellets instead of scrambled eggs.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Olive oil shouldn't be too bad but I would not give my bird that but it won't do damage if you've fed it once. I give mine an egg a week as per my vets instructions.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Egg whites are pure (almost) protein and a complete protein, so easier to digest - Yolks, although high in some valuable vitamins are also very high in fats. If there is anything a CAG doesn't need it's more fat. Passerines (three toes front) eat a lot more fats and animal products.

What about people food?
As a rule, any wholesome, nutritious food that you and your family eat, your bird can eat in very small quantities. Follow the general guidelines discussed above, and use your common sense. Some birds enjoy a small amount of lean cooked meat, fish, egg, or cheese occasionally. As birds are lactose intolerant, they should be offered dairy products only on occasion and in very small amounts. High fat junk food (French fries, pizza, fatty meats), excessively salty items (chips, pretzels), chocolate, caffeinated products and alcoholic beverages should be avoided.

Greymommy

Moving in
I've had a Purple Martin colony for many years. As landlords we often have to fed the martins, to prevent starvation, during bad weather, as they are insect eating birds. Many use scrambled eggs. Too many & they get lose bowel. Eggs are also high protein, so they would make the bird feel fuller longer. I'd suggest you fed mixed veggies or softened pellets instead of scrambled eggs.
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, yesterday was the second time I fed him eggs. He is usually on fruits/veggies, pellets, seed treats, and almonds. He loved his eggs the first time, so gave him again a day after. Will give him sparingly, maybe once every 2 weeks. Does that sound right?

Greymommy

Moving in
Egg whites are pure (almost) protein and a complete protein, so easier to digest - Yolks, although high in some valuable vitamins are also very high in fats. If there is anything a CAG doesn't need it's more fat. Passerines (three toes front) eat a lot more fats and animal products.

What about people food?
As a rule, any wholesome, nutritious food that you and your family eat, your bird can eat in very small quantities. Follow the general guidelines discussed above, and use your common sense. Some birds enjoy a small amount of lean cooked meat, fish, egg, or cheese occasionally. As birds are lactose intolerant, they should be offered dairy products only on occasion and in very small amounts. High fat junk food (French fries, pizza, fatty meats), excessively salty items (chips, pretzels), chocolate, caffeinated products and alcoholic beverages should be avoided.

Thank you for the additional information. Makes total sense :)

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Mine is a year and two months but I have been giving an egg a week since she was 10 months old. I watch her diet closely and weigh her regularly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would not give a healthy bird eggs. Too much fat and cholesterol. I'm very sensitive to atherosclerosis in birds - it's the silent killer.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I would not give a healthy bird eggs. Too much fat and cholesterol. I'm very sensitive to atherosclerosis in birds - it's the silent killer.
Oooh very good info. I never felt cautious about eggs because I keep hearing in Birdtricks videos that you can mix it into chop so that your bird eats it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birdtricks is a very sad case.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Birdtricks is a very sad case.
I know Birdtricks is hot debate on this forum. They had also suggested adding yoghurt to chop which I found questionable but I never doubted eggs really.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You have an African grey and they are very susceptible to Asper, hypercalcemia obesity and atherosclerosis. Lean diet and lots of exercise will give her years more of life.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"Pepperberg. Sadly, Alex passed away on September 6, 2007 at the age of 31 of a sudden, unexpected catastrophic event associated with arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). It was either a fatal arrhythmia, heart attack, or stroke, which caused him to die suddenly with no suffering. "

Unfortunately, Alex was given many treats - peanuts, walnuts and various other fatty/sugary things to facilitate his training and to assuage his overpowering personality consistently over a period of 30 years. Alex had also had a severe case of aspergillosis which damaged his breathing.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Hope your bird feels better soon!