• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scorched perches

VivG

Moving in
Real Name
Vivienne Gifford
Hi there, I’m new here so not sure I’m in the right place but here goes. I bought quite a few perches for my budgies cage online a while back and wanted to make sure they were perfectly clean and free from nasties. After disinfecting them I put them in the oven to dry out and stupidly left them too long. I smelt that they were overheating and yes, they were a little blackened. They aren’t burnt through and are solid but still have a burnt smell and I’m wondering if they’re safe to use!! They are lovely shapes and there’s a lot of them so weren’t cheap but if they’re not safe then I’ll just have to buy more, my birds are my priority. TIA.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Mizzely might be able to help you

:welcomesign: Maybe pictures will help know how burned they are

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I honestly don't know. Maybe leave them to air out for a while and see if the smell disappates? Burnt substances can be carcinogenic, but I don't know how much of a risk that is here.

VivG

Moving in
Real Name
Vivienne Gifford
@Mizzely might be able to help you

:welcomesign: Maybe pictures will help know how burned they are
Hi there, I’m new here so not sure I’m in the right place but here goes. I bought quite a few perches for my budgies cage online a while back and wanted to make sure they were perfectly clean and free from nasties. After disinfecting them I put them in the oven to dry out and stupidly left them too long. I smelt that they were overheating and yes, they were a little blackened. They aren’t burnt through and are solid but still have a burnt smell and I’m wondering if they’re safe to use!! They are lovely shapes and there’s a lot of them so weren’t cheap but if they’re not safe then I’ll just have to buy more, my birds are my priority. TIA.

VivG

Moving in
Real Name
Vivienne Gifford
Here’s a pic of a couple of the branches with the one on top being probably the most blackened. Sorry the photo isn’t clearer. I will put the branches outside to see if that get rid of the smell IMG_7820.jpeg when/if we get any sun…the uk isn’t renowned for it.

mori100

Checking out the neighborhood
i dont know for sure if they are unsafe but if you rub them and black stuff comes off then maybe they are unsafe? I only know that soot is bad to inhale and can cause lung problems for people.

VivG

Moving in
Real Name
Vivienne Gifford
Yes, I must admit I’ve thought that myself. I don’t want to take any chances so to be on the safe side I’ll just throw them and start again. Thanks all.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
They dont look too bad. I would sand off the outer layer and wipe it down with a wet towel. I think it should be good.

VivG

Moving in
Real Name
Vivienne Gifford
Thank you everyone but I’ve thrown them, I wasn’t prepared to take chances with my birds.

UserAZ

Walking the driveway
Well, at least they will find their way back to nature. Could have sharpened them and used for roasting marshmallows. A stick is a stick for that purpose.