• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Scab?

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Jade got really upset at me 2 nights ago and picked at her skin. Should I be worried at the sight of this or is it a healing scab? I really don't know, and if I'm going to take her to the vet I want to do it while I have her out and on my shoulder. i.e.: now.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Amanda, when I enlarge the picture it looks like there's a little more going on than a scab, it looks like there's a hematoma there. Looking at the area in person, what do you think?

I always err on the side of caution and go to the vet. Better to be safe and at the very least the vet can give Jade a shot of Metacam for pain.

I hope Jade's feeling better soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I can't really tell but hope she's okay!

@webchirp ?

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks all. I don't think there's a hematoma there. She's very frazzled by hands / I can't really handle her - I was able to touch the area quickly this morning and felt no lumps. It's not bleeding or oozing anything. I'm guessing it's a fresh scab? Since it is so fresh I'm going to watch it tonight and over the weekend and see how it looks. If it doesn't show improvment by Monday I'll take her to the vet.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Looks over preened. Get some manuka honey to have on hand. That stuff is awesome. Yep, keep an eye on it but if she hasn't had a recent checkup, now would be a great time. The problem is that if it becomes infected or just irritated, she could continue to pick at it until it hurts and then really dig. If you run into that situation, Protective Parrot Petals by Pam for a petal collar. She is an awesome lady to work with...

Also, recommend having metacam on hand and you may want to talk to the vet about gabapentin if she is going to make sores.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks so much @webchirp ; may I ask what the manduka honey is for? Overpreen should be her middle name!

I'm at work but I will check on her tonight. This was late Wednesday night when this happened - she's currently very hormonal and put up quite a stink when a new toy went up.
Her mood has been a little rollercoastery lately. I'll continue to watch it this weekend, for sure. She came to me a plucker and her new owner gave the rescue basically zero information, so who knows if she's had a history of sores. She had a checkup in November and she was healthy.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Manuka Honey: Medicinal Uses, Benefits, and Side Effects

Inflammation and infection...it is great for the skin. I have had two of my green cheeks mutilate and manuka honey is fabulous stuff!

You should also start with ruling out any possible medical conditions with your vet regarding plucking.

Paandajean

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
Great! Her little sore looks a lot better today, I think she's on the mend. Her appetite is great also. She let me lift her wing to get a look and touch it to check for hard lumps - she's been such a good girl.

I'm in the process of ordering her a protective petal :) (thank you webchirp!) once we get the avian vets blessing (she goes the week of Easter for a check up and nail trim) we're a go! I think it would really help her.

Thank you all :grouphug2: