• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Pre-Made Food?

littledevi

Moving in
So I eat waffles every morning, of course my green cheek (Mosambi/Moss) wants them and tries to steal them off my plate. Want to give him a healthier alternative but still help him feel included- Are any of these safe for him?

I'd love to make them myself but I honestly don't have the energy to right now with my health issues, I don't even make my own waffles lately because of energy expenditure

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
My main concern would be the every morning aspect, a nibble now and then shouldn't hurt, but I think the best daily choice would be some yummy chop :heart:

littledevi

Moving in
My main concern would be the every morning aspect, a nibble now and then shouldn't hurt, but I think the best daily choice would be some yummy chop :heart:
Yeah I give him chop and set it down next to me when it's breakfast time but he is a determined lil guy and tries to get a bite of the waffles until I'm finally done. So far I'm fending him off well :laugh: Hoping he'll eventually get bored maybe

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d not feed them- there are usually salts and sugars (among other rubbish) added to most processed human food. Iron is also of a concern if it’s added like it is in many breakfast foods.

Just gotta add that I am so shocked these are actually considered a breakfast food for many from the US, lol here they’re junk food/dessert food same with pancakes.

littledevi

Moving in
I’d not feed them- there are usually salts and sugars (among other rubbish) added to most processed human food. Iron is also of a concern if it’s added like it is in many breakfast foods.

Just gotta add that I am so shocked these are actually considered a breakfast food for many from the US, lol here they’re junk food/dessert food same with pancakes.
Noted! Thanks for the advice :)

Ooh I know what you mean! Where I come from Waffles/Pancakes = breakfast or a yummy dessert
Muffins are just dessert (I'm not American but I live in the US with my hubby)

I'd honestly rather be eating eggs for breakfast but I'm allergic
:sad10:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Noted! Thanks for the advice :)

Ooh I know what you mean! Where I come from Waffles/Pancakes = breakfast or a yummy dessert
Muffins are just dessert (I'm not American but I live in the US with my hubby)

I'd honestly rather be eating eggs for breakfast but I'm allergic
:sad10:
Ohhhh nooooo! I’d die! I’m on a mission to get myself a coop put up so I can get some chickens for a few reasons- one of them being eggs!

littledevi

Moving in
Ohhhh nooooo! I’d die! I’m on a mission to get myself a coop put up so I can get some chickens for a few reasons- one of them being eggs!
Yeah it's not easy, I'm also allergic to casein (so basically dairy), soy, Pineapple, oranges... My options are limited so that + my Autism makes these organic Waffles my staple breakfast :laugh:

I've had a sweet hen before, she was so cuddly and sweet. I wish you luck on your coop!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yeah it's not easy, I'm also allergic to casein (so basically dairy), soy, Pineapple, oranges... My options are limited so that + my Autism makes these organic Waffles my staple breakfast :laugh:

I've had a sweet hen before, she was so cuddly and sweet. I wish you luck on your coop!
That must make finding appropriate meals a hassle, what a bummer. Maybe just keep eating what you know works for you and share such a minimal amount that it’s likely to become a health problem for your little one, Burt loves sharing a bite of two or three of my less healthy foods so I just limit how much he gets. He’s more than happy with a little bite and no more but I have to eat fast lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ohh thought I better say I didn’t actually read the ingredients so best to check exactly what is in them. @Mizzely might take a look for you and say they’re ok if you’re lucky ;)

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You may find it’s less about what you are eating and more the fact that YOU are eating it, and compounded by the fact you try and avoid sharing so it’s a forbidden fruit!
But also just birds wanting to eat what their flock are eating

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Beechnut baby food items contain added iron, so I would not feed those. Wish those were around for my kids when they were younger though lol

The eggy things contain onion which is potentially toxic. I also wouldn't feed due them to how much milk and cheese are in it. Animal proteins can lead to heart issues later.

The muffins are definitely not something I would feed everyday either due to the amount of sugar. But if these 4 products were the only thing available, it would be my choice as an occasionally treat.

Trying to think of some alternatives but I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet lol

Reactions: tka

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some options from bird companies:

Freeze Dried Waffles: Freeze Dried Waffles

Freeze Dried Donuts:

Crackers and "Biscotti"

Another idea depending on your ability, would be too get a mix like this that you can just add water to and microwave:

For s single portion of this stuff, I just do 1 tbsp of mix with 2 tbsp of water, microwave for 1 minute and let it cool while I do other stuff. All my birds think it's a treat!

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lana

I am shocked as well even tho i am part american. lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Christine's also has freeze dried birdie bread waffles!

She also has a sale going for 20% off, 5/10 to 5/13 at midnight. Code is MD2024

Last edited: