• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Heater for my sunnie

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
Hello!
I’m looking into getting a heater for my room which my GCC is also in. it’s getting pretty chilly in my house so I would like to get a safe heater. I was looking at getting a De’Longhi oil filled radiator heater but want to make sure it’s going to be safe for my sunnie to be around. Would this heater be okay?

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I have a few and have used them around my birds. They are little radiators I have never had any bad fumes or off gases from using mine. I also feel comfortable leaving them without constant supervision.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
This post might be better in Healthy Highway, FYI :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have a DeLonghi oil heater. I've had it for a number of years. Do be sure to do a burn off outside for the first time you use it. I think I ran it outside for 6 hours? Basically until it no longer smelled. It's been wonderful.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I have a DeLonghi oil heater. I've had it for a number of years. Do be sure to do a burn off outside for the first time you use it. I think I ran it outside for 6 hours? Basically until it no longer smelled. It's been wonderful.
I have several and mine have never had any smell, maybe because they are several years old.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have several and mine have never had any smell, maybe because they are several years old.
This was back when I first got it in 2016. After the initial time, it was fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We have two cheaper brand (cant even think of the brand name) oil heaters and they are awesome, we did burn ours off outside as they did have a slight stink to them till they had been running for a while.

AviFriend

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I've been using a De’Longhi oil-filled radiator heater in my Quaker's room for about the past 5 years. It works beautifully! I did need to "out-gas" it in a garage for almost a full week (running on the High setting) before the strong odor burned-off. (I was told that the smell is made up of the oils they use in the manufacturing process and to protect it from corrosion during shipping/storage.) It seemed that the smell never completely went away when the heater runs on the High setting, but I typically just run it on Low, or only occasionally on Medium. (I don't ever need to use the High setting.) Low typically keeps the room in the low 80's (with the room door closed) while our furnace is maintaining the rest of the house at around 69-70F. I've read that other people find that their unit did not smell, or that the burn-off time only took a few hours; so it might vary between individual units or models. I called De'Longhi tech support, before the purchase, and was assured there were no ptfe coatings (or similar coatings) on any of the parts. They seemed quite familiar with this question from other bird folks. Their heaters do seem to little pricier than some other brands, but at least there is some peace of mind from knowing that the company is willing to verify if their products are are bird-safe. I have found it very difficult to get this type of information or verification from other manufacturers. It seems that the specific model that I own is no longer available, but I would recommend De'Longhi oil-filled radiator style heaters just based on my own experience with how well this one has worked for my parrot. Even if you do end up going with a De'Longhi, you might still want to call and talk with tech-support (not customer service) to check with them about the specific model you are looking at. I plan to get another one to have as a back up. Shopping for a bird-safe heating solution can be so stressful. I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Hi! I've been using a De’Longhi oil-filled radiator heater in my Quaker's room for about the past 5 years. It works beautifully! I did need to "out-gas" it in a garage for almost a full week (running on the High setting) before the strong odor burned-off. (I was told that the smell is made up of the oils they use in the manufacturing process and to protect it from corrosion during shipping/storage.) It seemed that the smell never completely went away when the heater runs on the High setting, but I typically just run it on Low, or only occasionally on Medium. (I don't ever need to use the High setting.) Low typically keeps the room in the low 80's (with the room door closed) while our furnace is maintaining the rest of the house at around 69-70F. I've read that other people find that their unit did not smell, or that the burn-off time only took a few hours; so it might vary between individual units or models. I called De'Longhi tech support, before the purchase, and was assured there were no ptfe coatings (or similar coatings) on any of the parts. They seemed quite familiar with this question from other bird folks. Their heaters do seem to little pricier than some other brands, but at least there is some peace of mind from knowing that the company is willing to verify if their products are are bird-safe. I have found it very difficult to get this type of information or verification from other manufacturers. It seems that the specific model that I own is no longer available, but I would recommend De'Longhi oil-filled radiator style heaters just based on my own experience with how well this one has worked for my parrot. Even if you do end up going with a De'Longhi, you might still want to call and talk with tech-support (not customer service) to check with them about the specific model you are looking at. I plan to get another one to have as a back up. Shopping for a bird-safe heating solution can be so stressful. I hope this helps! :)
Maybe that is the difference, mine never had a smell but then I never put it on high in the house. I just use it as a little extra heat source when I needed we have central heat and air in our house. I have used them off and on now for almost 20 years now around the house, out in the garage, in the green house and the shop. I never noticed a smell in places other than the house but maybe I just didn't notice or it wasn't as noticeable since those are bigger areas and not as air tight sealed as the house.