• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SAFE? Gerber smart nourish organic apples & summer peaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
My thoughtful hubby picked this up for Turk. He loves organic applesauce but it goes bad so quick. So my hubby thought these small packs would last longer.

Are peaches bird safe?

Thanks so much,

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
My birds like peaches but don't feed the pits...:hug8:

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
It's baby food. So I am sure they wouldn't include the pits. It does have added vitamin E as the last ingredient.

Omsk: no added sugar. I mix with the pellets he doesn't like and mush it up so he eats them and likes it. He won't eat the round pellets for some reason. But he will eat them if they are mushy with applesauce.

This is the first time we tried baby food.

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Beth I feed my birds organic baby food on occasion as a comfort feeding and to keep them used to taking food from me. As long as the ingredients are all natural it should be fine in moderation. I buy Earths Best organic baby food and always buy the most nutritious varieties such as sweet potatoes, butternut squash. If you read the labels it is usually just the fruit or vegetable, water and that is about it. :) This is an example
1st Squash | EarthsBest

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
I buy baby food for my lorie, and occassionally the bigger guys like some, but I don't buy the organic kind. I just use the regular Gerbers.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Cindy, I would be checking out the amount of salt in the reg baby food also...
I find it so much easy and know what I'm getting if you just puree the veggie you want to feed to your birds...that way NOTHING is added except what you put in...ANY veggie/fruit can be pureed..and the cost is so much less and you can eat it also.:hug8:

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
Thanks so much everyone.

I hope Turk likes the babyhood as much as the applesauce. :D He is really getting better with us and showing more personality.

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
I'm with BF on this one. :) Kai likes his mush, so I puree him whatever I'd like him to eat. It usually comes out applesauce consistency (and can be frozen to keep longer) and I know what's in it!

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
Yeah, that would be cool. Unfortunately we are not in an area where fresh organic fruits and veggies are easy to find. I don't believe most fresh apples here are safe from chemicals to give to him. The organic veggies I get are frozen.

The mush was a hit! :dancing: He made quite a mess at first getting used to the taste.

Bessamy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Beth
The other flavor he got was pear / raspberry. Sounds yummy to me.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yeah, that would be cool. Unfortunately we are not in an area where fresh organic fruits and veggies are easy to find. I don't believe most fresh apples here are safe from chemicals to give to him. The organic veggies I get are frozen.

The mush was a hit! :dancing: He made quite a mess at first getting used to the taste.
You can always make mush out of the frozen veggies...Look, can you do a research for your area for Organic farms..Each state usually has something like this on their state site...Your county extension service could help you also....you will be surprised to find a lot of people are now going this way...and what about people in your area that have gardens?....Make new friends..explain about your bird and why you want some veggies/fruits....People will want to help you I have found out!:hug8:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Cindy, I would be checking out the amount of salt in the reg baby food also...
I find it so much easy and know what I'm getting if you just puree the veggie you want to feed to your birds...that way NOTHING is added except what you put in...ANY veggie/fruit can be pureed..and the cost is so much less and you can eat it also.:hug8:
They are not getting enough to make a difference. Besides, they eat people food too and there is some salt in that. I draw blood from them occasionally and they are perfectly healthy with what they eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.