• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Sad Update>Very weak Claybirdie, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
re: <Sad Update>Very weak Claybirdie, help

I will be praying for Claybird.

Matt

Kimba

Sprinting down the street

Still perching and staying awake now!!!!! And when she does nap she is standing one foot now!!! Her strength is up! Not great but getting better and better! she just stretched her wings too! AND she walked to the other end of the perch to give me kissy noises!!!!!!!! Her poos are great looking also. Lets hope she keeps this up. Lets just pray she keeps progressing!

BTW I know what happened....

The person watching her, who lives with me forgot that claybirdie only eats certain colored pellets, when claybirdie ran out of those colors she stopped eating. I don't think she got much in the way of fruits and veggies when I was gone either. She didn't eat her fruits and veggies for me either, but she will stop eating fruits and veggies when she gets sick of them, and looks for other things to eat. I always have a lot of variety in her diet because of this, and because she does have a chronic weight issue. That's why I have formula on hand too.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Thats good Kimba, I hope she continues to improve. I would leave explicit instructions in the future for anyone watching your birds..poor sweety. We have a prayer thread for Claybird to empower her healing. :hug8:

Kimba

We just flapped our wings and danced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has eaten another 30cc of formula, ate some more seed stick and aside from her weight is acting almost like herself! We are not out of the woods, but I think that if she continues to eat formula for me she will be ok. I'll update later!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Very good Kimba. Just take it slow though ok? Dont stop the supportive care, she still needs to rest, keep her warm and make sure she stays hydrated. Keep us updated please. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I fear the problems she is having are not just from this one episode of not eating. It appears to me they are chronic from her troubled past that are now showing up and coming back to haunt her. She may and will show some improvement but don't count on her just miraculously getting better. She still needs to see a vet as soon as you can possibly make that happen. Sooner better than later. Just my suspicions.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Kimba,You are doing Great:hug8:I would continue to Give Her the hand formula at least 3 times a day-even after She has resumed eating on her own.The extra nutrition will be very good for Her and will help increase Her weight:hug8:You and She(did I Miss Her Name) are in My thoughts and Prayers:hug8:

Kimba

I fear the problems she is having are not just from this one episode of not eating. It appears to me they are chronic from her troubled past that are now showing up and coming back to haunt her. She may and will show some improvement but don't count on her just miraculously getting better. She still needs to see a vet as soon as you can possibly make that happen. Sooner better than later. Just my suspicions.
She has a chronic weight problem that we have been working on for the past year. So when she stopped eating, because she only eats certain colored pellets and ran out of that color, it was devastating to her system. The person who was caring for her did not remember that she only ate certain colored pellets. We also battle severe physiological changes to her nasal passages due to years of nutritional neglect. My vet knows all of this and she had blood work done 3 months ago and she was fine except her weight. I know things can change, and I know that right now I do not have the money. As soon as I can figure something out I will.

As for a general update, claybirdie is wing flapping, perching, and picking at food, and pooing well. She is seeking out my attention and chirping as well. I plan on keeping up the handfeeding for a while....until she gains some weight.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Sounds like some good improvement is being made. Keep us updated on how she is doing :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

You are doing good Kimba.When you can afford it Avitech also has some products that may help Claybird. One is Avigain Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds! and the other is AviImmune Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds! the smallest container actually is quite a bit and lasts quite awhile. Do you have an air purifier? That will help Claybird breathe better and also keep an eye on the humidity level, which isnt as much of a concern in the summer.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Hugs and prayers for you and Claybirdie.......I hope she gets better really soon....

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

I hope she continues to improve. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Sending positive thoughts for Claybirdie!:hug8:You are doing great, keep up the good work.:highfive:

Kimba

Claybirdie passed away this morning on the way to the vets, I had managed to borrow money to take her in. I am awaiting a necropsy, but the vet is fairly sure Claybirdie had lung cancer due to her 20 years of heavy cigar smoke and the fact that she could never maintain her weight. I will miss her greatly here is her story.....

For the fist 20 years of her life she lived with a man named Clayton, he was a very heavy cigar smoker, so heavy that his house was nothing but a cloud of smoke, when Clayton died (of lung cancer), his bird (claybirdie) went to my friend,(she was covered in so much tar it took 3 month to remove it all from her feathers) she there stayed until a year ago (again eating nothing but seeds), and then to me. Yesterday claybirdie had stopped eating, her poo was normal, no signs of a cold or infection, she was not puffed up, nor did she has any nasal discharge. She then became very weak. The only outward sign was her breathing which has always been a major battle for her, and it was not that much different than before just more consistently labored. In the past she would pant if she flapped her wings and wheeze from the years of cigar smoke and vitamin A deficiency. Her nasal passages were destroyed so you would hear clicks in her beak when she breathed. When she had stopped eating, I started hand feeding her every 3 hours and by the end of the day she had made a real turn around and things look very promising, then this morning as I was able to borrow the money to see the vet, Claybirdie passed away during the trip. Her breathing had become more and more difficult, it was obvious that she only had partial use of her lungs as you could see only the top of her body expanding to breath, only right below her crop. While I am happy that she got to have a good year in my home where she was out all day everyday and got to eat like a pig and learn how to play again and to be part of a flock with Eve and Poe......it saddens me that her life was cut short because of neglect and ignorance. She was the sweetest bird, never bite, always in a good mood, never loud, never picked her feathers......and she lived the majority of her years locked in a cage with no physical interaction from her owners. I find that amazing and I am grateful I got to share my life with her. Rest in Peace little Claybirdie.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

I am so sorry Kimba that Claybirdie didnt make it. At least you were able to provide him with some love and enrichment for the last year of his life :hug8: Fly free sweet birdie

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Oh Kimba, I am so sorry to read this!
Thank you for making the last few years of her life filled with love by you....I too, have birds that have been "damaged" by heavy smokers and know they won't have long lives but am doing my best with them...
Many hugs to you!!!!
Fly Free Claybird!:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I am so very sorry.Fly free Claybirdie!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

I am so very very sorry to hear this..so sorry for your loss...yes, you were able to show Claybirdie love and what it is like to be loved..fly free Claybirdie fly free

happybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jan

Kimba - my heart to your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.