• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Sad update) URGENT! Aspiration pneumonia???

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum.
Just on the day before I found a box of moustached parakeet babies (around 6 weeks old) and I noticed one of them had quite a hard crop, so I took him home. I've personally hand raised love birds and cockatiels before, I own a CAG, Senegal, Black head caique, Green cheek conure, Parrotlet and others so I do have experience to an extent.
After I returned home I put the baby mous in a brooder with a red heat lamp 75watt and waited for at least 24 hours to see how his crop was doing. Turns out it barely moved and in fact became slightly "doughier". I mixed some baking soda with water and force fed him the solution to help dilute the baby formula inside his crop. After hours of therapy I managed to pump out and empty his crop and fed him 2mls of baking soda solution to help the acidity in his crop and digestive system then waiting for 4 hours until I fed him around 10mls of dehydration formula with veryyyy little baby formula. I managed to empty out 2-3mls of sour formula from his crop.
This morning I checked on him and his crop was back to normal and emptied itself (yay!!!). Problem is, he still seems lethargic, he would do little "ehh" noises and would look up at me when I call him, he would walk around a bit and jump from my hand to the top of his brooder. His grip is pretty decent too. But, he still refuses to feed (loss of appetite) and is sleeping all the time.
Today evening he still seems lethargic and I was wondering if aspiration is within the equation now...since he refuses to feed I have been "force" feeding him, not down his throat but into his mouth. He would bob his head up and down, swallow for a few seconds then shake the extra out of his mouth (none coming from the nose and he does NOT open his mouth to gasp for air/choking), there is NO coughing, sneezing or clicking noise from him but when he breathes extra hard (occasionally) during his whimpering "ehh" noises I could hear a VERY quite whistle at the end, it seems to be coming from his nose more than his lungs but I'm unsure.He has pooped quite a bit now, the coloration is normal but it is runny poop. He is still weak looking, always wanting to sleep but has a very firm grip to my finger when holding him.His nose has a tiny bit of dried formula and mouth is clear and closed.
Can anyone please help??

Now i am very scared it could be aspiration pneumonia...
My question is, are there any additional things I could help him with? Is this normal that he now has a normal crop motion but still seems lethargic? I am very worried for him and hope to save his adorable little life.

p.s. This is urgent and I am worried sick! We do NOT have avian vets within this city so therefore we are on a rough patch here.
Thank you for any replies!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It is very possible he could have aspirated formula. It is also very possible he has a bacterial and fungal infection from his slow crop. You are going to need medications and that means finding a vet in your area, even if you have to drive a bit to get there. This is urgent, Where are you located?

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
I'm located in Hong Kong, that means I can't even drive out of the island other than taking a plane...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you have any regular vets in the area that could dispense you medications?

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
They might do but they would have no experience with birds what so ever. I used to work at an animal hospital for cats and dogs and trust me when they mean they know nothing, they know NOTHING. Is it just antibiotics that I would need?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry - it's really hard when you live in an area where their just isn't any help.

Perhaps in Hong Kong you can get antibiotics without a prescription at the pharmacy- that is possible in some countries. If you can get a vial of 2.7% Baytril and a gram scale. Then get back with us and we can help you calculate a dosage.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know what you have access to. Can you get something like apple cider vinegar and kayo syrup?

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
Yes I can try to get apple cider vinegars, I also have some Baytril but I know that those are not good for chicks as it can affect their bone structure. :(
I have been feeding him electrolytes (8oz. warm water, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/8tsp salt, 1/8tsp baking soda) and also ginger powder spice to help the crop work better, the crop problem is passed now, fingers crossed his lungs will be ok! Poor thing has been so weak it's scary...
But thank you so much Sarah!!

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
I have some Baytril 2.5% (around 1ml) left but I'm hoping my friends would have more (we are mainly reptile enthusiast and use Baytril at times), I weighted him before I fed him 2 hours ago and he was 73g.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope the little bird is okay!

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I don't think there are any real avian vets in Hong Kong but there is, at least, one vet that treats exotics because I correspond with a lady who lives there and has parrots and she has used him. Her name is May Ng and her husband works or manages some kind of an animal park or something like that (do you know of a place like that in there?). If you can find her, I am sure she will try to help you because she has consulted me on behalf of other people who have sick birds or, if nothing else, she can direct you to this vet.

Now, going by the history and what you describe, it could very well be aspiration pneumonia and, if it is, the treatment is antibiotics (baytril works, I always start them with a double dosage and then go on to a normal one twice a day), warmth (85 to 95 degrees), and oxygen (they put them in these little plexiglass tanks that have a tube that carries the oxygen into it). But, to tell you the truth, the symptoms could mean a million different things (could even be a congenital defect of the digestive system) so, although I would definitely start him on baytril, I would also get some bloodwork done (I know this vet does bloodwork for parrots -and XRays- because May has sent them to me). The blood work might not identify the actual pathogen but it will, at the very least, point you in the right direction (bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitical, defect?).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just sending along well wishes to you and the little 'stache. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I would be getting in contact with a vet, any vet is better than none.
By your description of the hard slow crop I would definitely be treating for a yeast/fungal infection, here in Australia we can get Nilstat over the counter at the chemist if you can get this I can help you with dosage. Fungal infections are quite often a secondary issue so you may have a bacterial/infection issue as well.
My vet is always weary of treating with antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, so a gram stain etc... Should be done first to see if there is a need.
Also if you can get some electrolytes if you can't get some designed for pets you can get something like gastrolyte at the chemist, probiotics are another that is important you may be able to pick some up at a vets office. Sometime when a baby is very ill enzymes are needed too and a vet should be able to supply you with some to add to your formula.

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
I'm on the edge of insanity here, i've been calling a few vets and they just have no clue about birds...it's the morning for me at 7am right now, the baby's crop is empty and I just fed him a slightly thicker formula, immediately after swallowing it into the crop he vomits it all back out...he is very weak and owns poor nutrition, as for the past day or so I have been feeding very little baby formula and more diluted solutions.
Would apple cider vinegar do any good right now?....that's something I could do right away and get.
I have a very bad feeling I might be loosing this one...

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
I don't think there are any real avian vets in Hong Kong but there is, at least, one vet that treats exotics because I correspond with a lady who lives there and has parrots and she has used him. Her name is May Ng and her husband works or manages some kind of an animal park or something like that (do you know of a place like that in there?). If you can find her, I am sure she will try to help you because she has consulted me on behalf of other people who have sick birds or, if nothing else, she can direct you to this vet.

Now, going by the history and what you describe, it could very well be aspiration pneumonia and, if it is, the treatment is antibiotics (baytril works, I always start them with a double dosage and then go on to a normal one twice a day), warmth (85 to 95 degrees), and oxygen (they put them in these little plexiglass tanks that have a tube that carries the oxygen into it). But, to tell you the truth, the symptoms could mean a million different things (could even be a congenital defect of the digestive system) so, although I would definitely start him on baytril, I would also get some bloodwork done (I know this vet does bloodwork for parrots -and XRays- because May has sent them to me). The blood work might not identify the actual pathogen but it will, at the very least, point you in the right direction (bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitical, defect?).
Thank you Bibi for your information but there are many May Ngs in Hong kong :eek: If she is a manager of an animal park I definitely do not have any connections to contact her directly...I hate to be so helpless for this little parakeet

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A few drops of ACV in the formula would help keep the yeast down, it's not going to much for a bacterial infection. Your best bet without confirmation from a vet is the baytril. Probiotics if you can get them too. Keep her warm and hydrated. Can you purchase any critical care formula?

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
Yes we have CCF sold at the reptile shop I work at. Thank again to all of you!

Pinknikki

Moving in
Real Name
Nikki Pringle
If the chick is around 70g before feeding how much Baytril should I be giving him? Should I mix it with the formula?

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
When I had a baby with a yeast infection he would vomit after feeding too, I would keep topping up a little while after vomiting and I was getting some into him, I also had to feed him every 2-3 hours and I was feeding a weaker formula, at this stage your baby's system can't handle food that is too thick so I would be feeding consistency that you would feed a week old baby to keep him hydrated and get some nutrition in when you see an improvement then gradually thicken the formula until correct consistency for his age.
I found thaT the ACV didn't do too much when it takes hold like this it works best as a preventative or in the early stages.
Can you get to a pharmacy/chemist to see if you can get some oral Nilstatin for fungal infections over the counter? If you can ask for some gastrolyte or other electrolyte solution too.