• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 (Sad update) Stiff Body, Still Breathing

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Help! I uncovered the 1.5 month old parrotlet's cage this morning and he's still barely breathing. His foot is all curled up, and he's twitching slightly. I called an avian vet and they told me he's too far gone. They told me they'd do a necropsy on him, but I don't know what to do in the meantime.

He's still breathing! And I just feel helpless. :( I don't know what happened overnight. He was eating/drinking, chirping delightfully, and playing with his toys last night. No changes in anything at all. Where did I go wrong? :(

:crycry:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OMG! Panic. I just don't know but to take him immediately to Avian Vet. I had a similar situation three weeks ago and it was lead and zinc in the paint Bailey chewed off cage. And he would have died if I haven't acted right then on a Sunday and a 1.5 hour drive.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I brought him in 3 hours ago. We're literally just waiting now. He's been tested for everything. And it's just so painful watching his little eye open and close extremely slow. :sorrow:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
And I know what I'm saying seems scattered and confusing, it's just I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please let us know. I hope all is ok. Don't give up hope. Good luck to you!
I was a wreck and so far a drive. They put him oxygen immediately. Had a diagnosis in 20 minutes which safed his life. I mention I notice some paint missing on his new cage and she ran out and gave a shot for lead and zinc poisoning right then and the x-ray show his gizzard full of paint chips. He was dehydrated and lost a lot of weight so blood test couldn't be done in this life and death situation but thank God the x-rays showed the problem. They kept him 4 days giving subcutaneous fluids and shots every two hours to dissolve the lead or zinc or both in the paint chips.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Please let us know. I hope all is ok. Don't give up hope. Good luck to you!
I was a wreck and so far a drive. They put him oxygen immediately. Had a diagnosis in 20 minutes which safed his life. I mention I notice some paint missing on his new cage and she ran out and gave a shot for lead and zinc poisoning right then and the x-ray show his gizzard full of paint chips. He was dehydrated and lost a lot of weight so blood test couldn't be done in this life and death situation but thank God the x-rays showed the problem. They kept him 4 days giving subcutaneous fluids and shots every two hours to dissolve the lead or zinc or both in the paint chips.
He was on oxygen the moment I came in the door as they knew I was coming. They ran a blood test, and although I didn't notice any chipped paint on his cage, they gave him the shot for lad and poisoning, and we're all doing the waiting game. But he's not showing any improvement. The doctor is suggesting possible stroke which lead to over stress, and recently.. I just feel like we had such a short time together, I got him on wednesday.

Edit: Especially because he's twitching, and still able to move his eye. They're trying to get fluids in his system at the moment.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That is heart breaking. Still hoping he will be ok. So young. Please just keep posting. I know how you feel, the panic. He is in good hands now and glad you took him in. :sadhug2:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
That is heart breaking. Still hoping he will be ok. So young. Please just keep posting. I know how you feel, the panic. He is in good hands now and glad you took him in. :sadhug2:
I just keep looking at his little body and hoping he's just magically going to hop up and be ok.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feel like I am reliving this! I just felt so helpless but Bailey is fine and talking up a storm right now as I am writing this! I am wishing you the best! :hug8:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
The vet just informed me that if my baby doesn't show improvement in the next hour he's going to suggest to put him to sleep. They've tested him for everything, and he's came back negative. They said if the shot doesn't do the trick sometime soon, it may be in his best interest.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I hope you have someone with you. I was a lone and its much tougher with no support. It was a long 8 hour day before I left my Bailey for the long drive home not knowing for sure if he would make it. No changing during the long day nor the next morning but all turned out well as I am hoping with you. As you can see I am lurking on the site waiting for your updates. :hug8:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I hope you have someone with you. I was a lone and its much tougher with no support. It was a long 8 hour day before I left my Bailey for the long drive home not knowing for sure if he would make it. No changing during the long day nor the next morning but all turned out well as I am hoping with you. As you can see I am lurking on the site waiting for your updates. :hug8:
Unfortunately my boyfriend isn't answering his phone. So I'm here by myself. I was just here the other day to get this baby a regular exam, and he passed with flying colors. So they already know me and the bird. One of the nurses who took a particular interest in my parrotlet is next to me. But she's just as bad as me, we're both bawling.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
OH NO! I don't understand but wishing your baby makes it! I was surprised to hear the Dr would do a blood test in his critical condition. My Dr said absolutely could not risk drawing blood on Bailey until his conditioned improved and gain weight and was hydrated. I had to wait 3 weeks for his blood test and then right after they gave him subcutaneous fluids to be on the safe side. I am not giving up on your baby! :hug8:I do understand all conditions are different and Drs have to make the best decision for each individual baby.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
:sad2: i'm so sorry. :sorrow: sending you all the luck and hope i can. :sad14:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
OH NO! I don't understand but wishing your baby makes it! I was surprised to hear the Dr would do a blood test in his critical condition. My Dr said absolutely could not risk drawing blood on Bailey until his conditioned improved and gain weight and was hydrated. I had to wait 3 weeks for his blood test and then right after they gave him subcutaneous fluids to be on the safe side. I am not giving up on your baby! :hug8:
I was/am surprised too. But he's the doctor, and I didn't question when it came to it because my head was a blurr.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well going from great health to this? That's what happened to me. I made a fool of myself and lost it crying and carrying on. But Dr Lightfoot and her staff had tears they were fighting back so needless to say she thought the chances were slim but she assured me she would do her best and she did work wonder's. I pray the out come is the same for you. NEVER GIVE UP! :hug8: