• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<Sad Update> Sick Cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman

Moving in
Re: Sick Cockatiel

I'm on the phone withe ER & Specialty clinic here in Birmingham. Credit is not an option for us.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Birmingham means you're in the U.K. - can someone check if ChipIn would work for the U.K.? tinman, if there's a will there's a way and hopefully AA can help you get the help that your tiel needs. Care Credit is very literally a pet creature credit card but I do understand about the credit part cause I'm right there with you. Please let us know what they say.:hug8::hug8:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

tinman

Moving in

Actually I'm in Birmingham, Alabama. We are looking at taking her to a vet in Riverview tomorrow. Fingers crossed she makes it through the night.
Thanks again and if I appeared terse with some of my responses earlier I apologize. I'll keep you updated

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

I am SORRY, then ChipIn wouls probably work for you. No apologies needed, when a pet is in trouble I believe we all get more than a tad testy. Prayers & thoughts for your girl to make it through the night so you can get her to the vet. Give your fiane a hug also and let her know there are a bunch of people rooting for all of you.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

DON'T WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW. You need to get her there now. Put it on a credit card or open a credit care card there but she needs to go right now.

Ginger

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Sadly, members can only help so much in an emergency such as how to keep them warm, how to find an avian vet near you, etc... From your photos, your bird does not have time to wait. CareCredit is something you can get instant approval online. If approved, you will be able to print off a sheet of info that you can take to the vet to charge the bill until the card arrives in the mail. It only takes approx 5 minutes to find out if you qualify.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

I am sorry this is happening..in the meantime can you get her in the shower room....turn the shower on hot whileyou hold her gently (in a towel ifyou have to) outside of the shower of course..stand well away from the shower but leave the hot shower running for about 10 minutes so she gets some steam from the shower..this sometimes helps loosen the egg... and put a nice paper towel folded down on that grate...put newsppaer on top of the grate if you have to..give her a place to lay the egg please...there is no place for her to lay the egg safely there that I can see...you need to get h er to a vet though..try to keep her warm in the meantime and try what I said.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

From looking at her feathers and due to the stumbling, poisoning (possibly from metal) comes to mind. Her belly makes me think she's egg bound though.

Keep us updated and I'm sending good vibes that she'll be ok.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

Please let us know how things go at the vet. We are all rooting for her. :hug8:

tinman

Moving in

Thank you again for all of your concerns and well wishes but Freckles passed this evening. Sad evening :-(

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele

I'm so sorry for your loss, fly free little one :(.....I wish you would not have waited 2 weeks to seek advice or care for her, she may have made it if she saw a vet earlier..... :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

:( Fly free Freckles.

glittersparkles

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Layla

I wont chastise you as this is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. I am sorry for your loss but pleased she's not suffering anymore. I wish you all the best and hope you get past this sad time as easily as possible :(

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

May I suggest that you start a emergency vet fund in her honor and memory. Get a big jar and tape a photo of her on it and start throwing all your change at the end of the day in it so that you have the funds you need when another medical problem arises.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

I am so very very sorry for your loss...fly free and high Freckles, free and high. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

I'm so sorry for Your loss:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award

No words here other than I'm glad she's no longer suffering. Fly free little one. :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Please do a few things though if you have other birds. Is there any rust or missing powder coat on the cage? Are all the parts on toys and perches either stainless steel or at least nickel plated? Birds chew things all the time, and her feathers did look like a bird I saw that had been poisoned. The stumbling and inability to perch are classic signs of heavy metal toxicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.