• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Sad Update"" Beckie hurt her leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I noticed yesterday that Beckie the budgie has been perching on one leg most of the time. Her other leg looks swollen at the ankle. I made a vet appt for Thursday, as that was the first available non emergency, and they said that was ok, as she is eating and drinking and flying. I took some grainy phone pics, will go upstairs to add them once I feed the flock (she fell off her perch in the night and caused a flock night fright so I let them sleep in). This morning she is perching on both feet but uses her beak as a stabilizer more than I've seen her do. Is it ok to wait a few days to have her seen? I really hope she'll be ok.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
re: ** Sad Update"" Beckie hurt her leg

Hope Beckie will be ok..............:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

If she will let you touch her, can you examine the leg up close? If it looks sprained, I would maybe let her stand in some cool water to get the swelling down. Keep an eye on her to make sure she's not picked on by the others and that she can get to the food and water okay.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

It should be ok but do keep an eye on her to ensure she is not being ganged up on etc. Budgies have a tendency to not be very nice when one is sick...maybe you should separate her until she feels better...and if she is picking at it, hopefully there is n ot a sore etc.

penguin

Avenue Veteran

She's not too keen on touching really, I toweled her for the pictures. I don't think she'll stay in the water, she bites pretty hard if she wants me to let go. She recently just started to let us pet her a little bit (after 5.5 years of taking care of her) I don't want to break her trust by manhandling her too much. She's not picking at it, Chester isn't picking on her but I may move her in with the tiels if I see any of that type of behavior. Beckie & Chester are pretty bonded though, when we had to separate them in the past neither would eat. Thanks for all of the healing thoughts, it means much to me.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

If this were one of my birds and I did not have Metacam or Celebrex on hand, I would add 1/2 cap full of children's Motrin to their water bowl, (pint). I suggest you call your avian vet and ask if it would be alright to use this ratio of Children's pink liquid Motrin to your birds water for pain and inflammation. I have used this many times but I still want you to run it by your vet.

Gary

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Do you have a small carrier or something to put her in for a day, just so she dosent try to perch and fall again. Please let us know,,,,:hug8:

penguin

Avenue Veteran

Thanks, everyone. She is staying on a perch close to the floor of the cage by the food & water. Chester is obscessed with a bead toy towards the top, away from her. She was putting some weight on the leg, but not all of the time. I have no pain meds for her, poor thing, and really would rather the vet set that up. If she seems like she is in lots of pain, they said to just drop her off.

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen

I would try to get her in as soon as possible. There is a reason she is not wanting to use it. She might be painful or she might not physically be able to move the leg where she wants to move it. Either way, she needs to be seen soon. Birds are so good at hiding illness. I think it's better to spend a few extra dollars on an emergency visit to find a minor problem rather than waiting a few days and finding a major problem that might have been helped by going in sooner.

penguin

Avenue Veteran

I keep beating myself up over this, I put her in the travel cage, she was eating and drinking right up til bedtime, but she passed in the night. I woke up with a start a little before 6 with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, went to check on her, and she was gone. Just yesterday she was flying and eating and doing her thing, somewhat restricted by her leg, and today, she's flying free. I miss her so much. I feel like a moron for not taking her on Tuesday. The others will be seen as soon as I can make an appointment for them, in case it wasn't injury related.

Last edited:

Aepyornis

Meeting neighbors

I am sending Beckie a healing light energy! :hug8:

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Oh I'm so sorry to hear she passes
Fly free little Beckie