• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad update #17)Keep Dovey in your thoughts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Jim -- oh gosh, don't I wish! I think I would be out of my element with a Pi though....I love them, they're gorgeous, but I might be a tad intimidated at first. Plus I know that 'tiel noise does NOT bother my neighbors (and in general is not "annoying" to people I know or have known) so I can be safe in my apartment situation.

I've heard Pi's are super quiet, but "super quiet" in bird-speak means, "not ear-shatteringly, decible-crushingly, sound-barrier-breakingly obnoxious". :hehe:
Well not mine thank god just a few Squeaks when I come home;);)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh gosh Erin, I am soo very sorry.. :hug8: I was away for the week and only came back last night.. I am crying with you.. :sadhug: Fly free sweet little Dovey.. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Just wanted to update everyone further on this.

Dr. Wyer called this morning. The preliminary results from the necropsy are showing that Dovey had a VERY severe inflammation of his esophagus. Dr. Wyer feels strongly that this could only have two real causes: giardiasis, or trichomoniasis (canker).

Cockatiels (as some of you know, I'm sure) can be "silent" carriers of giardia -- basically asymptomatic -- so there's a chance that CC had it and somehow it got transferred to Dovey. Usually it is passed via feces, however, especially in shared water dishes (which they never had). Still, it's possible, so I am hoping that's not what happened. Aside from that, Dovey notoriously pooped in his own water (No matter how much I changed it, he pooped in it) and he did get a weird "slime" in the dishes. I had mentioned this before, and to Dr. Wyer, so obviously again there is a chance that it came from that. CC's been given a water bottle (I'm working on teaching her to drink from it) but she's not using it yet. I've been making sure I change her water and ACV-and-boiling-water (and sometimes Dawn-soap, probably every three days) her dish. I'm going to be paranoid about that now.

On the other hand, birds with Giardiasis usually present with smelly poops, poor body condition, etc. Dovey, however, presented with great body condition, perfect poops, etc. If the Giardiasis was advanced enough that we lost him, it seems unlikely that he would have NO signs in his poop, etc. Also on the upside, it is frequently treated just as we were treating him -- with Flagyl.

The other possibility is that it was trichomoniasis, or "canker" -- it's common in pigeons and doves but is almost never seen in psittacines other than budgies. That would explain the swelling and saliva. Again, that's what we were treating him for....but maybe we were just too late. If that's the case, Dr. Wyer isn't worried about CC contracting it; it's very fragile in the environment, isn't passed by poop aerosolizing, etc. Pretty much, she said doves get it by sharing water, but MAINLY by feeding one another. It's usually passed by direct contact.

One way or another, if it's giardiasis and CC is a carrier (but shows no symptoms), or if it was canker, CC is safe and okay. Obviously we want complete results, but those should not be back for another few weeks. She said a "couple", and implied more like 2-3 instead of mid-July, which is good. We were just thinking about this....I'm glad she's kept me updated.

Right now I just am trying not to hate myself. I had this funny gut feeling when I first noticed his voice was scratchy, but no one else who heard him thought it was odd. And doves have vocal changes throughout their lives, so....I didn't trust my gut and I should have. We gave him the right meds, but in the end, it was just too late.

I should have noticed. :sad5: I should have tried harder, earlier, I shouldn't have waited to take him, I should have gone two months ago...:sad2:

I'm sorry, Dovey....he was just so little....I promised him I would never let anything happen to him...:cry::cry::cry::cry:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Erin,do not blame Yourself-You were a wonderful Mommy for Dovey.:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8: I've never lost one, at any age, where I didn't second guess myself one way or another. :hug8: It does no good, though, and just saps energy that is put to better use loving and caring for the ones left. :hug8:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Bonnie, I hope so. I really do. I'm so upset about the water. I should have realized. If he got something from that I will seriously never forgive myself. I didn't just "let it sit" when it was nasty, but there were days when I was gone all day, or something, and who knows how long it sat there...

*shudder*

I guess I figured I offered him like four bowls, and one was always clean, and he'd drink from that....but I could have been so wrong. I just hope that I didn't somehow inadvertently create a condition that either caused this or made it worse.

I thought that giardiasis was PASSED from one bird to another in soiled water, and only Dovey pooped in that water (and only he had access to it)....but of course now I'm going to sit around thinking, "geez, I let him drink from that, and he got sick and died!"

:kickcan:

*sigh* Sorry. I've just been sort of....extra upset about it lately. I got his little foot-print cast and his feathers from Dr. Wyer, they're beautiful. She got some lovely little ones, I'm thinking of asking Jacqui to do one of those gorgeous bracelets from them. That way I'll have him with me...

Ugh seriously, I've lost little guys before, but this one is killing me.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Stop beating yourself up over it hey we all feel the same way and have made promises to our birds we would not let harm come to them but truthfully god is only one who can priomise that we can only do our best to protect them and you my friend by posting here everything you are feeling shows me you are a great bird mommy. just keep sharing your heart with your little ones

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fly Free Dovey:hug8:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Thanks, Sal.

Your avatar just made me tear up. I miss having a dove here, but I knew adding another wouldn't be wise. I'd prefer to keep two doves together as a pair. Part of me still thinks that maybe Dovey's illness was in part brought on by his loneliness. I don't know why I think that, but...I do.

Thanks for the thoughts. We miss him so much. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.