• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 S.O.S. vomiting whole seeds on antibiotics, can't contact vet

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Guys sorry for spamming but my cockatiel's situation is changing (usually for the worst..) literally everyday and I can't contact my vet in the midnight but here's the deal: we started him on antibiotics for bumblefoot yesterday. His legs are getting better but this is not the problem ofc. We give him antibiotics 6am and 6pm. First dose, 6pm. His poop got watery. He ate A LOT. Idk what happened and why did he eat so much food. But then in the morning... he threw up whole seeds. 4 times. Called the vet, we agreed it's probably overeating, and I know antibiotics don't help with nausea, I too get extremely nauseous from them. But throwing up and watery poop, not good combination. After the throwing up he was completely fine, had full apetite, was active, drinks a lot of water (with probiotic btw), which makes sense. Now after the next 6pm dose, at 22pm. He is nauseous but still hasn't threw up, but he was "gagging", aka doing the same move as throwing up, just not throwing up. We didn't give him much food so it's not overeating. I know this isn't our decision to make, but I can't contact my vet now because it's late, and also can't contact her before the 6am dose because it's too early. But I am scared because it seems like a reaction to the antibiotic. Maybe it helps with his feet but the little guy is sick from them, idk at what point is it doing more harm then good. I am literally scared of giving him the 6am dose before I ask the vet. Should I skip it or give him the dose? I am literally scared of killing him with it. I am calling the vet tommorow but can't before the dose. Also he already used this antibiotic so he shouldn't be allergic. Idk why the extreme reaction to it now, we had no problems with it before.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
What is the antibiotic?

I had one who vomited with meds. My vet had me feed her first. Then mix her meds in a little baby bird formula ( made as directed ) it helped her.

maybug

Meeting neighbors
What is the antibiotic?

I had one who vomited with meds. My vet had me feed her first. Then mix her meds in a little baby bird formula ( made as directed ) it helped her.
sorry i don't know the name rn, i will ask the vet tommorow,
it's a clear liquid, i give him a drop for a dose, on soft food,
ty so much for the response, it helps knowing i'm not alone ❤

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Well it's probably ok to hold off sn hour or 2 to talk to vet first.

Probably ok to give too , up to you. But I'd try to get him to eat something before you gives meds.

Let us know.

Hope your baby feels better

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Well it's probably ok to hold off sn hour or 2 to talk to vet first.

Probably ok to give too , up to you. But I'd try to get him to eat something before you gives meds.

Let us know.

Hope your baby feels better
He always eats a little bit before , during (he takes it by food) and after meds ! But as I said, I relate to the poor guy, when I drink antibiotics I sleep in order not to throw up
Ty so much ❤ Will update!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Me t
He always eats a little bit before , during (he takes it by food) and after meds ! But as I said, I relate to the poor guy, when I drink antibiotics I sleep in order not to throw up
Ty so much ❤ Will update!
Me too......oh man most make me so sick...
I kinda think your is on baytril..is tends to make some sick....
If you find out it's baytril...then you most likely need to add an antifungal..like Nystatin as most develop secondary yeast overgrowth after a few days if baytril

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Ty guys. He stopped throwing up for a day so we continued the antibiotics. And then he started throwing up again and loosing appetite so we had to stop. Ofc all discussed with vet. I already know the bumblefoot and inflammation is going to come back but we have to stop giving him any medicine untill he recovers from all the medicine he is taking these past weeks. He is taking probiotics but yeah. I don't know how much he is going to need to recover and when we start the antibiotics can his body handle it. My vet I think suspects of him having some other internal problems but I really think it's just the medicine. Please send my buddy love and good luck, he really needs it. I think we are loosing this battle If you have any tips for recovering after medicine and being able to handle antibiotics please let us know, because maybe he will need to take injections which is I suppose literally the last resort which I can't imagine how stressful it is for a little cockatiel.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor little guy. I hope he feels better soon. Can the vet give him a different antibiotic? My cockatiel would throw up on Baytril too.

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Poor little guy. I hope he feels better soon. Can the vet give him a different antibiotic? My cockatiel would throw up on Baytril too.
We will see. It seems that out of all medicine, only this certain antibiotic helped. We tried another one before, didn't work. There's supposed to be one more. The thing is his tummy is probably pretty disturbed from all the medicine (his poop is back to normal but we will see about the appetite still, after a day it's not fully back). So we don't know what's more dangerous right now, the infection or the tummy. If we start him on medicine again it may again aggravate his tummy and he starts throwing up again etc. Because he was on this antibiotic before and didn't throw up, so either the mix from medicine (he took some for inflammation now too), or just simply any medicine is doing this. If it's the later it's a really difficult situation you can imagine. :/

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys just to update, his infection came back so fast that we will have to try antibiotic again atleast over the weekend, and yes it is Baytril, so the vet will probably give me new antibiotic as soon as Monday comes.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Aww sorry to hear wishing you the best.
Talk to vet about Nystatin ( antifungal) as often can get secondary yeast overgrowth.

When one of mine got yeast overgrowth it caused regurgitation and reluctance to eat..

Are you doing betadine soaks?

maybug

Meeting neighbors
Talk to vet about Nystatin ( antifungal) as often can get secondary yeast overgrowth.

When one of mine got yeast overgrowth it caused regurgitation and reluctance to eat..

Okay, I'm just scared of upsetting his tummy with yet another medicine even if it's supposed to help if he got the yeast overgrowth. No, we put antibacterial/antiinflammation creams, and give him a small shower every day. Any tips how to soak his feet ? He doesn't bathe in a bowl (we tried manyy times before), just misting and showers. Also holding him down really stresses him out and I feel like right now, him having trust in whatever we are doing, is pretty important, because a few days he didn't want to eat from our hands because he realised we were giving him medicine . Will talk to the vet about the soaks ofc. She recommended them but as I said we give him showers (of course focusing on the feet) and the creams.

maybug

Meeting neighbors

Was yours on probiotics while taking Baytril? I am not sure is it precisely Baytril btw, but the active supstance is Enrofloxacin . Thank you very much for your responses btw ❤

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
No I've not put any of mine on baytril. We had other choices.
mine took the antifungal well .

Definitely agree not to stress and hold him for soaks. Some birds arent stressed.
You soak some guaze it paper towels in the solution and hold on foot fit as long as tolerated or a few minutes.

How's your bird doing,?

maybug

Meeting neighbors
No I've not put any of mine on baytril. We had other choices.
mine took the antifungal well .

Definitely agree not to stress and hold him for soaks. Some birds arent stressed.
You soak some guaze it paper towels in the solution and hold on foot fit as long as tolerated or a few minutes.

How's your bird doing,?
Not good unfortunately. His upper part of leg also started swelling. It may have infected the bone, but we will see. It is very strange to see how quickly it changes.. it pains me to see him like this but we are doing everything we can. Ty for info❤

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Awww. Rooting for you guys . You see vet again this week?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes. Tommorow going to the vet to try another antibiotic.
If you get the chance can you ask them their thoughts in soaks? It was helpful with ones I've seen