• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent runny poo

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just keep at it. Your baby will need time to heal. I've been nursing and the vet has been seeing my Jasper for over a year now and she is just starting to get better. She has underlying circulatory/heart issues and chronic infection in an airsac. I personally would stop the detox stuff and give him pure milk thistle to support his liver.

Just stay with it and don't hesitate to take him to the vet if he slips backwards.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I have always heard that while generally 'safe' in small quantities fed infrequently but garlic fed frequently in larger amounts can irritate their digestive systems. Seeing as he's having digestive issues and is on an antibiotic (which can also cause some mild digestive upset), I'd say nix the garlic, continue and finish the full course of antibiotics and then see how his poops are. Also, any particular reason no fruit? It is moisture rich (dehydration is of concern when a bird has loose droppings) and has natural sugars that could give him a little energy boost. Perhaps offering a half a grape or bit of apple or a couple berries in the morning would help him have a little more energy and hydration for the day:)

Have you consulted with the vet on all the supplementation you're giving him BTW? Just to be sure it's all in the right amounts and being offered in the most effective way.

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Thanks everyone. I know he likes Apple's so I'll give him some tonight when he hopefully comes out. Atm I'm just giving him antibiotics in water. I'll also cut out the detox solution stuff. Hopefully these changes make a difference. I'll also keep the guardian angel in his food. Thanks again. I'll bring an update later :)

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Yes I did also consult vet about his runny poo which he said to try a different diet and recommended Harrison's pellets

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Antibiotics are diluted in water and the bird never will drink all of the water. Do you have a small syringe? Vet should have given you one to give the antibiotic by beak.
Don't forget to get pro-biotic of you can.

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Update: Bobby has been out this morning from 8.30 till 10.30. He whistled a little bit into his mirror before he came out. I noticed he had 8 gulps of water beforehand. He had a bit of a fruit stick and some Harrison's pellets mixed with seeds and chopped up Apple along with guardian angel. He's been flying about quit allot this morning and sitting on my shoulder. I've noticed sometimes after he flys he squintes his eyes almost as if he may be in a little discomfort. His poo is tubular mostly but with mostly clear Urine. Sometimes a little white or stringy white. Sometimes he urinates with no poo part to it. I've noticed his left wing droops and he keeps pulling it back up. It's been like this for weeks now also but it doesn't affect his flying but I'd say he doesn't fly as far as he used to. He still chirps and I've noticed no changes in his voice nor are his wings spread away from the body to indicate breathing difficulty even after flying. He went back in his cage at 10.30 as I could tell he was tired. He then went and had 14 gulps of water which is a real concern to me. When he gets settled to have a Knapp he still grinds his beak as if he's content but he still has a pumping throbbing around the vent area but this only happens when he's settling down to go to sleep. Otherwise when he's out he doesn't do it. Im frightened to have to restrain him to give him antibiotics from syringe but he is drinking allot of water so I'm sure he must be getting plenty of antibiotics into his system. I gave him antibiotics from Sunday to Wednesday then I continued from Friday till now so far. I'm not sure If he maby looks a bit on the fat side also. Could this be affecting his digestive system also? I've came out for a few hours to let him sleep. I'll put up another update later.
Kind regards
David

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like he is getting better. If he had internal damage it could take quite some time for him to be completely recovered. Perhaps his intestines were bruised and they are healing. Baytril makes many birds nauseous so watch for regurgitating.

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I'm worried incase it's his kidney or liver. He's only gone 3 years old. He's a usual Gray teil with yellow head and white parts on his wings. Would he be worse now after 6 months if it was kidney or liver disease? I do remember after the accident his poo had bubbles in it but only one I noticed and never had bubbles since. He didn't have runny poo straight away. It was after a few days. I'm home now and he does sleep allot during the day but tends to come to life around teatime. When i returned from being out a few hours there is allot of water urine on his sandpaper which is usually soaked daily. There is not much poo but it is tube like but not like a snake. His poo does improve on a night as this is when he eats mostly when I get him out I take his food tub out he will sit and eat for a spell of at least an hour on and off. I've noticed his poo looks more normal from when he goes to sleep on a night till morning. It isn't runny. Just during the day. I don't know his weight but Hes clearly not losing any. How much longer shall I keep him on antibiotics for? Is there anything I can give him to make his stool more solid and stop the excessive urination and water drinking?
Kind regards
David

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pumpkin is good for digestive issues - that's the plain canned pumpkin and usually birds love it. If he is having polyuria you should be grateful that he is drinking a lot. If his kidneys are damaged lots of fluids are the best support for them.

I think some of us posted before that Baytril is generally given 7, 10 and 14 days. Since it hasn't been prescribed by a vet, you will need to make your own decisions as to how long to give it to him. Milk thistle is the go to support for liver issues.

You really and truly need to get Bobby to a vet. He needs a CBC and Chem Panel and an xray. Don't be afraid of anesthesia if your vet is a certified avian vet.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
here is some info on garlic from a vet. I've also located it on toxic list for birds. I would discontinue that immediately if you haven't already. T
Onions, Garlic & Birds

lettuce has little nutritional value and is mostly water. that could be causing watery poops also

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Thanks again everyone help is really appreciated :). He's been out tonight and seemed quite bright. If I don't think he's getting any better in the next few days I'm going to have to go for the anaesthesia as I can't go on worrying like this all of the time. I will try plain canned pumpkin and certainly no more garlic. Also give him fruit more often. I'll keep an update of how he's doing in the next few days.
Thanks again :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've had blood drawn and x-rays taken without anesthesia, however my a-vet does prefer anesthetizing birds for x-rays because you need the bird to keep still for the pictures to be taken. It usually requires putting birds on their backs and sides for x-rays, and this freaks out most birds, hence anesthesia.

As far as blood goes... well, my a-vet takes from the jugular vein.... she typically bends the needle before inserting into the vein, as she finds it easier to draw blood. Once the blood is taken, they release the neck of the bird, and the way that birds normally sit, it stops the blood from flowing. Here are some videos as examples.

Some avian vets feel more comfortable going the anesthesia route because it is less stressful on the bird when they are out cold to take blood and do other routine examinations. If the vet doesn't feel confident in using anesthesia or not using it (considering his current health and their comfortability with those procedures), you may need to drive further to find another avian vet.

There is Ian D Hunter at Galemire Veterinary Hospital about 1 1/2 hours away from you.....
Welcome to Galemire Veterinary Hospital

Or Andrew Greenwood at International Zoo Veterinary Group just slightly further away....
International Zoo Veterinary Group, Avian and Exotic Pet Clinic Facilities

Found those two via this link.... ---> Member Search Results - Association of Avian Veterinarians

Found some other links that may be helpful in finding an avian vet?

Avian Vets | Parrot Veterinary Services

Birdline UK Parrot Rescue - Vet Listings

Avian & Exotic Referrals | Services | VetIndex

Avian Vets in Yorkshire & North East England

Although I would recommend calling these places first to confirm there are avian vets at these locations, then seeing if you could speak with an avian vet about your situation before making an appointment. Many vets over in the USA don't always like talking to customers over the phone as they may be able to get more information in person, so you might have some trouble there....

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Thanks so much for your help :). My wife had been off work the past 2 weeks looking after my 17 month old son which does cause allot of noise in the house. Bobby will be left alone today from 8am till 5pm so hopefully it's less stressful for him and he has time to recuperate. The anethetising is a last resort but if he goes back over its my only option to know exactly what is wrong with him.
Kind regards
David :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better! If you're worried about possible liver issues, milk thistle is good for that.

Z-AVI-HBMT-1 Milk Thistle/Dandelion Herbal Extract 1 oz - AVITECH

Also, I saw in one of your posts you mentioned sand paper? Are you using that for cage liner? I would suggest not using it. Birds can ingest it, etc and it can cause issues.

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Update: Bobby is still the same. No better no worse. Poo is still very watery and a foul smell to the urine. I made the decision to ring my local avian vet last night to discuss the anaesthesia blood tests and x Ray. He said the tests may still come back inconclusive on his bloods and if they did come back liver kidney or bacterial he said there's nothing more he could do than what I'm doing now buy giving him milk thistle or antibiotics etc. I'm still very unhappy and upset and really want the best for Bobby. I can't get on with my life not knowing exactly whats wrong with Bobby and having to try and accept him how he is now. Is this right what he says or can proper tests tell Me exactly what's going on with him? I'm going to go further a field to find another avian vet to see what they say also.
Kind regards
David

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you should definitely try to get a second vet opinion. The foul smell is concerning, although maybe he just needs more time on the antibiotics?

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I'm going to give him the full 14 days on antibiotics. Since I stopped the garlic on Saturday he's definitely improved. I haven't noticed his eyes squinting. He is in house all day now my wife is back at work from 8am till 5pm so he's getting more rest. I've noticed his left wing isn't as droopy and he seems to be lifting it up more. His Urine still smells but I don't think as bad. I'm sure he's going to be ok. The excessive water drinking and urine is a still a concern along with his throbbing vent but his stomach doesn't sink in as much now. I rang another avian vet today. She wasn't at work today said the receptionist so I've got to ring back tomorrow. Will update again then. Thanks again :)

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Bobby has been booked in on Saturday for 12.10 noon. It's a 2.5 hours drive from me but my parents have a caravan 30 mins away. The vet said she would be prepared to do the anethatisation providing he looks in decent health. I hope everything runs smoothly. I'm really worried but I'm sure it's the best option to find out why he has the polyuria. Fingers crossed everything is ok

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
try not to be too worried. sometimes things go wrong, but I will say that in the 3 years I worked at an avian clinic we only had one not wake up out of countless. my moms bird had to be put under several times and she had some serious issues going on and she did fine. I wouldn't hesitate if it was mine as long as they are stable and not in critical condition. :hug8:

kinetic

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Can't thank the kind hearted people on this forum enough. Thanks for the info and support. I'll let you all know how he gets on this Saturday.
Thanks again
David :)