• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roxie's ACL

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So Roxie just got back from her vet appointment- we wanted the vet to look at her leg (back right) because she's been a little more sensitive with it lately. We thought it might be her hip, she's had bad hips for a while despite being young.

The vet says she really thinks it's it the ACL. Roxie is going back for xrays under sedation on the 10th. If it is the ACL, we have 2 different things we can do.

1) Put her on strict bedrest for a month.

No jumping in or out of cars, no stairs, no walks. After the month, reassess and see if it helped.

2) Do surgery.

She'd have to go to an ortho vet (we have one lined up if need be). We'd be looking at a very large vet bill. We might be able to swing it, if it comes down to it.

I feel so stressed about it. When my dad broke me the news (I wasn't at the appointment) my heart sank. The vet gave her some rimadil, I hope it will help.

Good thoughts, prayers, whatever, are appreciated. I'll update when I have more.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh man :( that's so hard! Fingers crossed some bed rest will be all she needs!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that. We get a lot of those surgeries done at my clinic its fairly common to see this happen. I really hope that she will be able to recover on crate rest and not need the surgery

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We managed to get things worked out pertaining to the money for her surgery, if need be.

Today we put up a temporary fence to make the yard smaller, we put the ramp back on the front steps, and we put my bed on the floor so she won't hurt herself if she tries to get up.

Tomorrow is her xray appointment, at noon. The results will tell us definitively if it's her ACL. If it is, we'll proceed with surgery. The x-rays are gonna be under sedation, so I'm not sure if they're gonna keep her for a while or let her come home right after, I guess we'll see.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I hope she will make a good recovery if she does need the surgery. Solving the problem without it would be even better! Sending healing thoughts to Roxie:)

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
While getting a recommendation from a ortho is good, if the leg is not bothering Roxie much, i would recommend trying the rest first.

Autumn started limping on her back right when she was a year old. The vet checked for tick diseases (negative) and did a xray, said it was mostly a ccl tear. Since it wasn't really causing her pain and she was bearing weight on it, the vet just recommended taking it easy and adding joint supplements. And that really did the trick for a bit. She would be just a tad lame when first getting up and after a several mile hike.

Last year, at 5 years, she tweaked her left back ccl. So we are back at trying to take it easy. :meh:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Alright so we're back from xrays.

So she did in fact tear her ACL. The vet is recommending surgery, however the ortho vet is booked 7 weeks out so we're making an appointment ASAP.

On the xray, it also shows that she has arthritis in both knees as well as both hips, although we already knew about the hips. It also showed that she has a rock or something in her intestines. The vet says it'll probably pass, but she wanted to make us aware of it.

So Roxie is home now, coming off the sedatives. We're gonna be scheduling her surgery, then getting her records over there, and a week or two before the surgery Roxie will go back for bloodwork.

Pre-post edit: We're setting up a consultation with the ortho on the 21st. At that appointment, we'll see the ortho and if he agrees with the diagnosis, we will proceed with setting up the surgery.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We stopped at Roxie's favorite store while we were out running errands without Roxie. They were sorry to hear about Roxie but they said they've heard that this ortho guy is phenomenal, so that's good. They requested that I keep them updated, which I most certainly will. The people there are some of Roxie's favorite people in the whole world.

She's still sleepy but figured out how to hold up her head and close her mouth, so that's good lol. Hoping by the end of today she'll be ready to eat and drink some.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Roxie is in much better spirits today, she's slept off the effects of anesthesia.

Last night I had dad into my room, where Roxie is staying. She perked up a lot, drank some water, even started chewing on a toy. So I guess she needed his support lol.

Today she's active and happy, and willing to eat and drink, so that's good.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good luck!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today's the day! Leaving in about an hour, hoping things go well :fingerscrossed:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Good luck today!!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So we just left the ortho. He says Roxie has a full tear of her ACL. So we're proceeding with TPLO surgery, she's scheduled for the 28th of April. We have some bloodwork to do before then, but other than that we just have to wait.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We scheduled Roxie's bloowork for April 22nd.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Tomorrow's the day. We drop her off at 11, hopefully will get to pick her up around 5 or so. Today we took her out for a pre-surgery last hurrah, a car ride through the forest and a Starbucks pupcup. I'm very nervous for her but that's just how I am, I'm sure she's in good hands. Good thoughts/energy/prayers are much appreciated.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Hoping for the best.

A previous dog of mine had TPLO surgery and it was a bit of a recovery, but she went on to live a normal life.