• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosella Parrot?

pubbykid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
vincent
im thinking about getting an eastern rosella in the future, i currently have a female eclectus so they wouldnt be interacting outside of their cages or anything like that (most interaction would be them having cages in the same room). If anyone has or has ever had a rosella whats anything specific i should know about ? I know how to tame skittish and bitey birds pretty well and do training routines with my eclectus frequently and have a prevue flight cage that would most likely go to the rosella already. are there any reasons I shouldnt get one ?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I have never owned one, but I do have an interest in them. I hear that they make good pets. They are fairly quiet and independent birds. The one problem you may run into is finding a rosella that is tame and used to a pet lifestyle, as they mostly seem to be kept in aviaries rather than kept as companions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve never heard of them making good pets, everyone I know of who has had them keeps them in aviaries as they’re generally less comfortable and interested in making friends with humans than many other parrots. I’ve only come across a few in my whole life who seem truely comfortable landing on and interacting with people. Not saying theres not tame and friendlier ones out there but in my experience it’s rather rare.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’ve never heard of them making good pets, everyone I know of who has had them keeps them in aviaries as they’re generally less comfortable and interested in making friends with humans than many other parrots. I’ve only come across a few in my whole life who seem truely comfortable landing on and interacting with people. Not saying theres not tame and friendlier ones out there but in my experience it’s rather rare.
I agree, I’ve seen quite a bit of website that say they aren’t the friendliest as pets :shrug:

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I agree, I’ve seen quite a bit of website that say they aren’t the friendliest as pets :shrug:
I think that they can be pets but that they just might not necessarily be your best buddy who wants to snuggle and be with you all the time I guess. :laughing2: 2/3 of my birds are not super friendly but they are still my pets!