• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rope Perches vs. Other Perches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
I've been using rope perches as my main perches for Tori because I've read that these are the "softest" for zon feet which are prone to "problems." However, I've noticed that some rope perches are really firm, almost as firm as wood perches. They also are not as easy to keep clean and I've found the softest rope perches have shrunk, so they are not usable. The advantage to wood perches are that they are easier to clean and do dull their claws. I've also placed the plastic sandy perches with the smooth tops to dull her claws, but these are so short and my zon's cage is 4 x 4.' Anyone else have mixed feelings about rope perches? What do you use for your son's main perch?

Liz

GreenParrot

Sprinting down the street
I have wooden and rope perches in her cage and she uses them fine, both kinds. Her favorite perch is a wooden perch closer to the ceiling of her cage but she plays a lot on her rope perches as I've made it interesting enough for her to perch on them. She is scared stiff just seeing the sand perch I've bought for her so I didnt put it in her cage as thats her home and I want it to be a relaxing and pleasant place and not stressful by any means. :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Max has assorted perches in his cage. He has rope perches, dowels (used to stabilize his cage more than for his perching), manzanita perches, grooming perches, etc, all in different width sizes to exercise his feet. I don't have any platform perches (yet) but I want to ad those to his cage as well. He seems to prefer his manzanita perches to sleep on, placed way up high in his cage. I clean my rope perches (yes, they are a real PITA to clean) with a damp cloth, a tooth brush and use a steam cleaner on them as well. I think as long as you provide a variety of perches for your zon, his feet will remain healthy.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Having a good variety of all sorts of perches of various sizes (like amazon size and macaw size) will help keep your amazon's feet in good order!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
I have a variety too (cholla wood, rope, manzanita, and a very soft wood perch...don't know what type but it's very light in weight and a little softer to the touch than harder woods). My zons hang out on the rope perches the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.