• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rooster spurs, not like nails???

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Before I book an appointment with my vet, I think this vet, does anyone know anything about spur trimming? I looked on YouTube and google and got a little green about some of the methods I saw used. I mean, one of my rooster is growing some long spurs.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Destiny has chickens, I am not sure about roosters, and may be able to help you.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Do not cut spurs like nails. They aren't nails. Spurs are a bony growth. You can file them blunt but I wouldn't remove them without a veterinarian. Spurs are important to roosters who work as sentries. If you have roosters fighting or being overly aggressive I would consider increasing their space. If you have a rooster who is overmounting or aggressively mounting hens I do understand how this can be scary and dangerous, but please get a vet to do the procedure.

This link has an xray of a spur which will help you understand how why you shouldn't treat it like a nail. If you want to remove the spur from an adult bird it is an amputation, not a trimming.

I hope that helps answer your question :)