• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Roaches

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
:grumpy: Bird safe and effective ways to get rid of roaches? The house is clean and we do our best, but I live in the tropics so they are everywhere here.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@saroj12 has had luck using a product that is bird safe. I have completely forgotten the name!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Avian insect liquidator.

If this product kills your roaches then I’d say your roaches are nothing like ours! Not even all fly/insect sprays will kill ours.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have read that diatomaceous earth can kill roaches but I don't have experience with it. Maybe you read up a bit on it and see if it might work for you. It's pretty safe as long as you don't inhale the powder into your lungs directly. If you do use it just use a paint brush or something and swipe some into the crevices of where they will cross paths with it.

Jogging around the block
I use a people butter jar (empty) , just place it somewhere and it attracts them, they fall in and then can't get out. Works like a charm here, jars full of them!
I release them over the neighbors fence usually :hehe:. You can also just leave em there and they die, that works too just without getting the neighbors grumpy

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use a people butter jar (empty) , just place it somewhere and it attracts them, they fall in and then can't get out. Works like a charm here, jars full of them!
I release them over the neighbors fence usually :hehe:. You can also just leave em there and they die, that works too just without getting the neighbors grumpy
They seriously don’t climb back out??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They seriously don’t climb back out??
Also skeptical about this.
Just last night I visited some swanky mansion and saw a huge roach climbing up the side of the garage 100% vertical.
I used to work on the beachfront and when I´d open the business in the morning they´d climb up and around everything. The place was rife with them, the little ones.
A friend recommended drops, I can´t remember the brand, but you put little drops all over the place in nooks and dark corners,and within weeks there were barely any! I wish I remembered the name of the stuff, because it was safe to use around the fish (well, that´s what I was told anyway, and didn´t have any casualties from it)

Jogging around the block
Also skeptical about this.
Just last night I visited some swanky mansion and saw a huge roach climbing up the side of the garage 100% vertical.
I used to work on the beachfront and when I´d open the business in the morning they´d climb up and around everything. The place was rife with them, the little ones.
A friend recommended drops, I can´t remember the brand, but you put little drops all over the place in nooks and dark corners,and within weeks there were barely any! I wish I remembered the name of the stuff, because it was safe to use around the fish (well, that´s what I was told anyway, and didn´t have any casualties from it)
Maybe we have lazy roaches here :shrug: :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use little baits (solid gel and a liquid too) in places that my dog and the birds can’t get to because I’m terrified of finding them in my home lol.
They’re everywhere outside in leaf litter and under anything they can hide in (I believe there are some that prefer outdoors and others that prefer indoors) and I really don’t want them moving in.
When I lived in QLD (Mount Isa was seriously the worst for them) they would steal whole cigarettes and run off with them, they were absolutely HUGE and smelled like sewage if you crushed them, they also easily climbed the walls and other vertical surfaces (such as bathroom and kitchen drain pipes).
I used to look after other people’s kids in another part of QLD and one family literally had them crawling through and over everything- the kids told me they’d drop on them from the ceiling at night:barf:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Jogging around the block
I use little baits (solid gel and a liquid too) in places that my dog and the birds can’t get to because I’m terrified of finding them in my home lol.
They’re everywhere outside in leaf litter and under anything they can hide in (I believe there are some that prefer outdoors and others that prefer indoors) and I really don’t want them moving in.
When I lived in QLD (Mount Isa was seriously the worst for them) they would steal whole cigarettes and run off with them, they were absolutely HUGE and smelled like sewage if you crushed them, they also easily climbed the walls and other vertical surfaces (such as bathroom and kitchen drain pipes).
I used to look after other people’s kids in another part of QLD and one family literally had them crawling through and over everything- the kids told me they’d drop on them from the ceiling at night:barf:
Yes, that happened to me once. It landed on my ear :grumpy:. It then ran over to my terrier, big mistake bug. He killed it and then just left it there. He's a good guard dog :rofl:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes, that happened to me once. It landed on my ear :grumpy:. It then ran over to my terrier, big mistake bug. He killed it and then just left it there. He's a good guard dog :rofl:
Ewww lmao

My dog sniffs bugs then gags! It’s seriously hilarious :laugh:

I’ll have to try to film her doing it.

Jogging around the block
Ewww lmao

My dog sniffs bugs then gags! It’s seriously hilarious :laugh:

I’ll have to try to film her doing it.
I'd love to see a video :D
Mine literally kills them and then looks at them like ''You are a disgrace'' and walks away, but apparently SOMETIMES the flies caught against the windows taste good :wtf:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd burn the house down and start over!! :scared2:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There.. are... no... words... :scared3:
Oh that was nothing.
I seriously haven’t ever seen a place as infested as their house was! Not even on a hoarders type tv show and some of them are bad. They were in and on EVERYTHING… inside the freezer and fridge, washing machine, oven, stove top burners, faucets, anything you looked at had them running around on it and if you knocked, moved or lifted anything millions would scramble out. Food packets and boxes were not fit for consumption to be honest. Just walking through the house you’d end up with them on you, in your clothes shoes and handbag, it was nightmare stuff. The kids school bags had roaches escaping from them so I used to make them leave them in the garden and I’d clean them out every morning and make the kids a fresh roach free lunch and bin theirs- it breaks my heart just thinking about the situation they were in. I’m not even sure you could recreate the scene!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh that was nothing.
I seriously haven’t ever seen a place as infested as their house was! Not even on a hoarders type tv show and some of them are bad. They were in and on EVERYTHING… inside the freezer and fridge, washing machine, oven, stove top burners, faucets, anything you looked at had them running around on it and if you knocked, moved or lifted anything millions would scramble out. Food packets and boxes were not fit for consumption to be honest. Just walking through the house you’d end up with them on you, in your clothes shoes and handbag, it was nightmare stuff. The kids school bags had roaches escaping from them so I used to make them leave them in the garden and I’d clean them out every morning and make the kids a fresh roach free lunch and bin theirs- it breaks my heart just thinking about the situation they were in. I’m not even sure you could recreate the scene!
Those poor children!!