• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Ripping out feathers, blood

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
Hi! For background, I recently posted about not spending enough time with my cockatiel Pepe and some suggested getting a second. I got waaay to excited and went and bought a Parakeet named Peet. It has been three days since i bought Peet.
Tonight Pepa was freaking out in her cage, kinda like a night terror reaction, so i went and grabbed her to calm her down because i always do when she has them. However this time when i was calming her down she went to fly and immediately hit the ground. I then looked at her and realized that one of her wings was missing big feathers! (see pictures) I then also realized i had blood on my hand, and she had blood all over her beak. I tried to check to make sure she wasn’t bleeding , and am pretty sure she no longer is. I called the emergency vet and they really didn’t help, said that as long as she wasn’t bleeding she didn’t need to come in. I just want to know how to prevent her from ripping out more feathers and bleeding because she seems super tired and i am too but i don’t want to go to bed and wake up to a bloody bird. She is shaking pretty bad and sometimes tries to mess with we’re in assuming she ripped the other feathers from. I have set her up a place to stay until i can find a new good home for the other bird as i can’t with a good conscious keep him knowing it scares my baby. We tried lightly wrapping her but obviously she escaped because i didn’t want to go to tight. Do i just put her in her temporary cage and leave her for the night once i see she falls asleep or should i wrap it? Also, considering she now can’t fly because she’s unbalanced, do i get her other wing cut? I’m pretty sure letting birds fly unbalanced isn’t good for the long run cause they’ll only learn how to fly that way and then when the wings grow back she won’t fly normally? I don’t know what to do about it so any advice would be really helpful right now. Thanks.Sorry for the rambling there is just so much going on in my head

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is your bird doing now?
Did you already introduce the new bird without quarantine time?
Was your cockatiel asleep when this freaking out all happened or did you actually see it plucking the feathers out? Bashing about in a cage sometimes can cause many feathers to get caught or broken- it happened to my budgie a few weeks ago, he got his wing stuck trough the bars somehow for a minute and freaked out and lost all the long flights on one wing and was flying weird ad not very well but he is just fine now and is no longer flying a bit wonky.
Sounds like if she is not bleeding or injured she needs a warm quiet place to rest and recover.

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
Hi! My bird seems calmer this morning after sleeping. I am pretty sure she ripped them out because of the blood on her beak and the fact only those two were removed. I guess it is possible that she happened to knock those two out during the night terror, i just believe that because of the stress of having the bird she may have ripped them out? Either way, I found the budgie a really good home with somebody who has had birds before that i know well just in case it was what was causing my baby stress.
If she is still flying weird today, do i take her to the vet? I want her to be okay of course and I get that because she’s not bleeding it’s not an emergency but i still worry that she’s just hiding the pain of something

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
also i forgot to mention that i did not introduce the new bird without quarantine! however their cages were in the same room, i’m not sure if that was a no-no?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am guessing that your tiel had a night fright and got her wing feathers caught in the cage bars and ripped them out. That's my guess. I don't think a a tiel would pull its wing feathers. You can try to see if there's a way to better arrange her cage. I try to make sure my tiels main sleep perch doesn't really have things around it, etc in case of a night fright they don't get tangled in things. (I had that happen once.) Also I always have a night light for my tiels because of night frights. (And you actually should have kept them birds in separate rooms for quarantine.) Did you rehome the budige?

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
Hi, sorry for the late response, my boyfriend parents who live on the other side of the house wanted the budgie, so he has a good home over there for now. I did look into it and realized that it was completely my fault for not keeping them in separate rooms. I did not do enough research and in turn hurt my baby and I will feel forever guilty about it. I have a nightlight currently on the way, and have been watching my baby close. She goes to the vet tomorrow. I think you might be right that it was a night fright, I hope at least that it was something I can hopefully prevent in the future. I haven't thought about moving around her toys so that they are not near where she sleeps, and will do that tomorrow. Thanks

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @sunnysmom completely. It's good that you're getting a vet check to be proactive.

Nicole Bred

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole Renee Bredeson
Hi Guys! Just thought i’d update this thread, Pepes wing feathers have almost completely grown back! He’s flying just like he used to and no more issues! :) Thanks for all the comforting and advice the few days after this all happened! I just want the best for my baby and i was so scared! You’re all wonderful :)