• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rings safe?

Briggan

Meeting neighbors
I have recently found my old claddagh ring and I’ve been wanting to clean and wear it but I don’t know if it’s safe for the bird to be around. I’m not entirely sure what it’s made out of, it’s been many years since it’s been given to me, but I would assume it’s silver or sterling silver. I’m just worried about the bird chewing it or licking it without me knowing if it’s safe.

If anyone knows if rings of the silver variety are safe please let me know, thanks!!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you happen to know if the ring is pure silver or alloyed with any other metals? Gold, silver, and platinum are considered "noble metals" because they are so chemically inert. Biologically, they are pretty safe and non-toxic. They typically pass through the body unchanged and do not get absorbed. However, gold and silvers are also very soft, so when used for decoration, pure gold or silver would bend or scuff easily. For this reason, most jewelry is made from metal alloys. For example, sterling silver, is an alloy of silver and a harder metal, usually copper - 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper to be exact. If you are not sure if a ring is sterling silver, look for an engraving of 925 on the inner band. Copper poisoning in birds is rare, although it can happen if they eat enough of it. The small quantity available in sterling silver is unlikely to be enough to do harm, unless the bird eats a whole lot of it. But it is also possible for sterling silver to be made by alloying with other heavy metals, like zinc.

Zinc is QUITE toxic to birds. Even a small amount might be enough to cause harm, especially if the bird swallowed a piece of the metal or chewed on it regularly for a long time, like if a bell made from a zinc alloy was on its favorite toy. Lead is also very toxic to birds, but since it is very toxic to people too, it is less likely to be found in jewelry that is purchased from a reputable source. But even jewelry from a good source might be made by questionable methods, so just something to be aware of. Also, it is important to be aware that some rings, especially cheap ones, might be silver-plated instead of being solid silver. This means that the ring is made from a less expensive metal with a silver coating on it. The underlying metal might not be safe, so if the bird chewed through the plating, it might ingest something harmful.

Basically, if it is a very expensive ring, your parrot would probably be safe to chew it. But if it is a cheap ring, it might not be safe.

Yes, parrots have expensive tastes. But we already knew that. ;)

Briggan

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much!! I’m pretty sure it is sterling silver, as I have been told it is so by the one who gave it to me but I will be cleaning it today and I’ll look for the engraving. Is there anyway to tell if it’s made with copper rather than zinc? Honestly I could just take it off when handling the bird and her items if that ensures her safety

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does it have a mark on the inside? Something like ‘925’ or other mark?