• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rico- The fattest Mealy I have ever seen!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

On sunday I picked up Rico and Ozzie. Rico is a 15 year old semi-aggressive Mealy Amazon with 2 fatty tumors on his sides and is GROSSLY overweight.
The diet they were on is indescribable as I nor has another rescue ever seen such a "pellet".

Rico is the fattest Mealy I have EVER seen! His toes are like sausages!

The perches and cage were far too small and thanks to Emily from AA , they now live in a double Macaw cage. Due to the perches both birds have large sores on their feet that are being treated and their diet has changed completely.

Ozzie and Rico are bonded. They have a wonderful new life ahead of them.

And here is their NEW house..Thank you EmilySharp!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
They're cute! i am glad they are with you and i hope you can help the mealy.

They remind me of the bonded cockatoo and amazon i had when i was younger

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
WOWSERS...he is HUGE!!! He must be sooo uncomfortable with the pressure sores & tumors, hope the vet is able to remove them and take care to those pressure sores. :( Best wishes to them both on the road to new lives together. At least they have each other and they have you Crystal. :hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Oh the poor little guy, he will do much better with you. By the way what does he weigh ?:hug8::hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Chubby tootsies for sure. So glad they are in that new awesome cage!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I bet they are loving all that room.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
As I said on FB - thank you for taking them in! They must be loving the change in food as well as all the room and toys and comfy perches!!!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
BRAVO to both Crystal and Emily for helping this "couple" out. :highfive:

Boy those toes are huge, I love me birdie feets he would have lots to kiss but being semi-aggressive I think I wouldn't do it. lol

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Yes Rico weighed in at 828g

Last edited by a moderator:

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
wow he is a big boy , that just cant be healthy for him!

hopefully the bigger cage will get them both a bit more movement and exercise and being in your care they will only flourish even more together.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
OMG.

That is seriously so sad. I just want to cry thinking about their little sausage feet and their sores. I still can't believe that they were in the same size cage Elle was in. And I thought I felt so bad for Elle...these two are absolutely breaking my heart!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's gonna need a parrot treadmill and a good aerobics class. :)

They did have each other and that makes a big difference in their mental well being.

TITANIS

:omg:
Mealys on average are 540-700 g so he is at least 128 grams overweight unless he is a large Mealy to begin with.
Mealy Amazon Parrots: Species information and Photos
Mealies can weigh up to 1000g lean weight. Most species description list averages or more commonly bred subspecies weights. There are a few members here with Mealies over 800g and they aren't overweight. Having said that, this Mealy is obviously overweight. Time for some heavy recall training sessions. ;)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Thanks to all for posting on Rico..

He has been here now for a few days and he is getting a workout in this new cage. He doesnt care for the boing....but he likes to pace across the bottom of the cage, up and around the bars. He hasnt tried to venture out of the cage yet..but he will in time I am sure.

He has been playing with toys though, and he does like wood which is great! We are awaiting the blood work results to see if there is normal liver function. He is VERY fat!

Rico is not large for a Mealy, he is just fat! Poor baby! People at times make me sick.
He is doing well..but hates the fresh foods ..that will take some time. I caught him with some wheat toast and a strawberry today.

I am glad they have each other as John has said.
When they first came here they were dilent and scared...they are now VOCAL!!!!!! And thats putting it lightly. But I would rather have a vocal happy bird than a quiet scared bird anyday in my care!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Rico sounds like he's in for a good life. Mealy's love foot toys, and yes wood chewing into tiny bits they are definitely good at.

Mealy's are eating machines, so I hope he learns to like the things that are going to be good for him. :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.