• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rex strikes again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Se he tagged my face last week. Last night, I was walking past his cage, he jumped on the back of my head, and started viciously attacking the back of my head. Thank god he landed on my ponytail, as he couldnt bite through it. But he was biting harder and harder, and getting close to my neck, so I reached back to get him, as Id rather suffer a bite to the hand than the back of my neck. sure enough, he bit the heck out of the top of my wrist. Now looks like snakebite:)
unfortunately, he was not facing me as I walked by, and I was unable to see his body language. Will be paying more attention to this.
I still have not figured out why he bit the first time, and now this. Perhaps he is just hormonal.
Maybe next time he will be kind enough to make a display before the bite, or I might pay better attention to see it before it comes.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
yup, he lept all right. He is a Mealy Amazon. He is so very gentle, and super sweet. But something has gotten under his saddle, so to speak. Sure hope I can find it....
am hoping hormones...dunno sex of Rexie...and have read they do not typically have hormone problems...but if there is anything my parrots have taught me, typical does not seem to apply to them. typically:D

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Awwe noo, not again! I'm so sorry hun...ouchie:heart:. It's very possible it's just hormones, it is the time unfortunately:( Maybe he was excited by your ponytail lol!
My babies are def not typical either, the weirder the better I say;)! This bite probably felt like nothing compared to the first one right?!
:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I do believe it's hormonal time. There have been many threads recently about crazy Amazons.

Ginger

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Awwe noo, not again! I'm so sorry hun...ouchie:heart:. It's very possible it's just hormones, it is the time unfortunately:( Maybe he was excited by your ponytail lol!
My babies are def not typical either, the weirder the better I say;)! This bite probably felt like nothing compared to the first one right?!
:hug8:

actually, neither one hurt too bad. the face hurt after the fact, and it got swollen. but while he was doing it, it didnt hurt.
at first I thought he jumped on my head for a ride, like Lacy Tiel. but after he struck me a few times, I figured out what was going on.
cant tell you how badly i hope this is hormonal...
is your zon going crazy?

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
I'm so sorry :( I know how how frustrating it can be when you can't see it coming. Chewie would leap off and fly at me. He's gotten my face, and back. Usually only during breeding season did he do that. This is the first breeding season he has not done it.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh I am so sorry that he got you again. Its not any fun when our big green guys start acting like this. Glad you are okay. My nape is being a lot less aggressive this hormonal season than season's past, though I have still gotten my fair share of good bites. His 'craziness' episodes seem to be subsiding and he is usually back to his loving self by the end of March or early April. Good luck.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Even for "gentle giants", they get bad case of hormones too.:hug8:You gotta watch the body language...

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Even for "gentle giants", they get bad case of hormones too.:hug8:You gotta watch the body language...
I understand, and am really trying. i wish I had been facing him when he jumped. ive really never been around a zon before, so its all new. we are taking extra precaution, like not turning our back, never leaving him unsupervised, and things like that. though I didnt really enjoy it, I kinda hope he does it again so I can see his posture and all that.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
How are things between you an Rexy today?:)
Charlie isn't being crazy so far, I don't know what to expect really. I think maybe with his age though that his hormones have possibly calmed down a bit now. The only change I've seen lately is that he's a little more curious lol, which is fine by be because he needs the exercise lol.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I do believe it's hormonal time. There have been many threads recently about crazy Amazons.

Ginger
I haven't read that many stories aside from Rex but mine are sweet as can be. :confused: Amazons are not crazy, honestly. I am not sure where you've read this but not all Amazons are nutso. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I understand, and am really trying. i wish I had been facing him when he jumped. ive really never been around a zon before, so its all new. we are taking extra precaution, like not turning our back, never leaving him unsupervised, and things like that. though I didnt really enjoy it, I kinda hope he does it again so I can see his posture and all that.

Always pay attention to him, even if you are not directly looking at him. While you walk by, clean the cage, etc, always be aware of how he is sitting, standing, walking, strutting, etc.

Can you get a video of him while you walk near him or handle him? That may help :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I haven't read that many stories aside from Rex but mine are sweet as can be. :confused: Amazons are not crazy, honestly. I am not sure where you've read this but not all Amazons are nutso. :)

:hehe::hehe::hehe: Wait until your amazons are sexually mature:) Adult amazons with hormones are indeed nutsos:cool1: I have never met an amazon who doesnt have some sort of "attitude problem" when they reach hormones.

Pua my RLA is perfect..towards me. I couldn't ask for more! But to everyone else.. she yells, shrieks, lunges, flies at, everything..typical..

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
i will try for a video, but like i said, besides these two incidents, he has shown absolutely no aggression, at least as i can tell. he will step up nice, will ask to be picked up.hes not so sure on touching, but getting better. maybe he is territorial about his cage, or getting teritorial. so far, we can reach in to play with toys, or him, and there is plenty of room for him to leap on us, but he doesnt.
guess i was hoping he had adjusted to hormones, as his approximate age is over 20 years. but its ok:) we love rexy anyways:heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Maybe it was a ponytail thing?

I know my Mom's female M2 can be weird like that. Any sudden appearance change(like waking up in the morning, typically wearing your hair down and then one day wearing it up) can upset a bird.

If our hair is wet when Beeba's feathers are not, she'll be unhappy and you'll get hissed at, swayed at, and nipped.

If you wear your hair 3 days in a row, DOWN, and then have it up.. you'll have her hissing, swaying and nipping at you.

Same with clothes... same color or variation of styles for a few days in a row.. and then change.. beware! LOL

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
With mine I know that Sunni does not Like the color red. Many years ago she flew across the room and attacked DH when he walked into the room in his red night shirt. :(

I am getting much more eye pinning with the guys the last month. This is the first hormonal season they have been with me and you can bet I'm not trying to encourage step up right now :)

You know the thing to do. Watch for his trigger and always know where he is when you walk thru. Hope you heal quick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.