• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reverse Psychology - Parrot Training/Taming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
No, it's okay, it's important information to get out there. Like I said, I just get frustrated with the attitude that animals (human and non-human) with phobias or even fears just need to deal with it, get over it, or are behaving inappropriately. It is like saying that someone with Post Traumatic Stress is being a wuss. It is incredibly insensitive.

Vicki, I think you are probably one of the ones who understands this the most! And I'm sorry if the thread might have upset you a bit.

I'm hoping though that maybe it'll make someone think just that much more into the type of situations they are putting their birds in... and maybe, just maybe, they will learn how to better understand their birds and what they are trying to tell us.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think the video is pathetic and it really makes me upset. How can someone scream like that to finches and flighted birds. Does she avoid wild crows, seagulls, finches, etc? Or does she scream her mouth off every second of her life when she sees a flying bird? She must live in her closet..sorry..just my opinion, I think the birds were being subjected to cruel and unusual treatment. Poor finches and other fiddos had to endure that :mad: Ok with that said Im agreeing with the flow of the conversations:)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If she had first been exposed to videos and photos of birds and then perhaps one bird in a cage far away from her and was slowly and her pace allowed to move closer there would have been less of a reaction. This is over exposure way before she was ready, I am not at all surprised by the reaction.

I think the video is pathetic and it really makes me upset. How can someone scream like that to finches and flighted birds. Does she avoid wild crows, seagulls, finches, etc? Or does she scream her mouth off every second of her life when she sees a flying bird? She must live in her closet..sorry..just my opinion, I think the birds were being subjected to cruel and unusual treatment. Poor finches and other fiddos had to endure that :mad: Ok with that said Im agreeing with the flow of the conversations:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't think so. I think it was staged, which is why it upsets me. She is exposed to wild birds, no doubt. Unless she lives inside a building with no exposure to the outdoors and wildlife... I feel this was staged. Just her little comments made had me thinking "staged". And its the animals that are hurt/unsettled by it.

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I used to have a friend who was deathly afraid of birds. Once we were at a store and came out to find a flock of seagulls around her car - she starting crying hysterically. Each time we'd try to take a step towards her car she'd start becoming more and more upset. It was hard for me to relate a bit because I love birds, but I felt so, so bad for her. Even though she wanted to go over to her car and ignore the birds she couldn't do it for anything.

My mother is the same with snakes. She used to come visit me at work and I would always have to be sure not to have any snakes out if she was coming because she would refuse to come near me. She knows it's irrational of her, that the snake isn't going to hurt her, but she's still afraid.

Like others said before though, I think the ability of a human to understand that fears like this are irrational - that the bird or snake isn't really going to hurt you - makes it different than the fear an animal would feel from the same situation. Not that I don't think both situations require understanding and effort to overcome such fears, but I certainly think humans have the upper hand in doing so being able to reason with others and themselves. Overcoming fear in any species is a sensitive undertaking in my opinion, but I don't think it's quite the same with humans as in other species.

Lauren and Jack

Real Name
Lauren Watson
Here is the thing. Vicki, I am sorry dear... but you can never see someone else opinion as there own. You are not always right. I know several degreed behaviorist that would disagree with you completely. we are all enititled to our practices... as you also are. Nothing personal from me.... but you seem to make it personal for you... so please "don't let your head explode" If you can't contribute and except everyone comments... you prob shouldn't read them.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I cant comment on phobias as I am not a professional but all I can say is : those poor birds, being exposed to the shrieking and screaming, (it must have caused them some upset) and all in the name of tv reality. I really feel for people with phobias but in this instance I felt for the birds (I maybe a little displaced, they would probably be used to screaming with so many birds in there - but the are exposed to bird screams, not people screams)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
This is kinda funny...... oh I have to comment

Okay the lady is well, lets say "off". Many people have things that they can not control. ? Look at hoarders? they would love to control themselves and can't. It's behavorial ??? I have a friend that is afriad of roots. Like tree roots, plant roots ect. She does not scream like a toddler but still strange. The look on her face was priceless when I had her help with my bamboo centerpieces for my wedding but she lived.

Here is what I find funny. (my opinion only) first post.... we are comparing this lady (in reverse) too.

My bird is afriad of me = Lets towel and hold it until it calms down
My bird won't step up = Lets chase it around until it stays by me.

Too me, you would get the same results with My bird is afriad of me = Lets flick him in the head. or My bird is afraid of me = Lets throw rocks at it.

In my opinion if you have a scared bird, you don't want to tackle them with a towel and hold him until he calms down. What happens next time? I would not think next time he will remember that as "oh, that was alright."

I will probably get lots of comments for this statement ( not my goal, everyone can say what they feel, and everyone has a way ) Comparing the two situations........... screaming lady VS bird training = The screaming lady is getting more accomplished. :lol:

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa

Okay the lady is well, lets say "off". Many people have things that they can not control. ? Look at hoarders? they would love to control themselves and can't. It's behavorial ??? I have a friend that is afriad of roots. Like tree roots, plant roots ect. She does not scream like a toddler but still strange. The look on her face was priceless when I had her help with my bamboo centerpieces for my wedding but she lived.

Here is what I find funny. (my opinion only) first post.... we are comparing this lady (in reverse) too.

Too me, you would get the same results with My bird is afriad of me = Lets flick him in the head. or My bird is afraid of me = Lets throw rocks at it.

In my opinion if you have a scared bird, you don't want to tackle them with a towel and hold him until he calms down. What happens next time? I would not think next time he will remember that as "oh, that was alright."

I will probably get lots of comments for this statement ( not my goal, everyone can say what they feel, and everyone has a way ) Comparing the two situations........... screaming lady VS bird training = The screaming lady is getting more accomplished. :lol:

roots?! :eek: wow ... that can't be fun for her. i've never heard of that before

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Actually, I can and do see and accept others opinions all the time. Opinions are one thing and of course we are all entitled to them. However, when your opinion repeatedly conflicts with factual information that is backed by science or documented research and you present it your opinion as factual, that is what I have an issue with and I will present the accurate information in these cases. I don't know what a "degreed" behaviorist is but the psychologists that I know and have discussed phobias with would strongly disagree that if you are just brought up right you won't develop phobias. I will continue to contribute as I have been on this forum since it started and I will continue to put factual information out there and let people know when inaccurate information is stated. And yes, it is hard not to take it personally when I see sensitive subjects treated insensitively.

Here is the thing. Vicki, I am sorry dear... but you can never see someone else opinion as there own. You are not always right. I know several degreed behaviorist that would disagree with you completely. we are all enititled to our practices... as you also are. Nothing personal from me.... but you seem to make it personal for you... so please "don't let your head explode" If you can't contribute and except everyone comments... you prob shouldn't read them.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I think what Monica was presenting was the methods used to treat fear/phobias in general. Flooding vs. more humane methods and when we can see and discuss with a human how they feel and how aversive it is, should people be doing it with birds. I have a friend who was treated with phobias and PTS with flooding and it was horrendous for her. It shut her down. I think that was the purpose of the comparison.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I agree. It was not a well planned treatment protocol at all. Not good for the birds or the woman. It could have been done so much better and without causing distress to all.

I cant comment on phobias as I am not a professional but all I can say is : those poor birds, being exposed to the shrieking and screaming, (it must have caused them some upset) and all in the name of tv reality. I really feel for people with phobias but in this instance I felt for the birds (I maybe a little displaced, they would probably be used to screaming with so many birds in there - but the are exposed to bird screams, not people screams)

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Vicky, not to reopen a can of warms. As Im just speaking a thought that just came into my head as I read todays posts, so please correct it if its wrong. But if you(a person, dog, cat, horse, bird) is brought up experiencing birds, roots, spiders, snakes, etc, theoretically, it shouldn't develope a phobia to them. Especially if it was introduced to them early on and learned to touch/play, etc, with it. So the phobia/fear should never develope if you are raised around them (unless an incident happened). Right? I'm just curious, its just a thought :) I have seen birds who are raised secluded, by themselves, barely any toys or new foods given to them, and then one day when something new is introduced, its fearful. But when raised in a well rounded home, where its introduced to many common daily things (broom, new food, new toys,.furniture moving) its not fearful or phobic.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mercedez. A phobia can be created by one single event and if the subject is very young and still in the formative stage of its life the likely hood is even higher.

Not to mention the "new" things that happen to also cause the phobia.

Example. You swim in the lake all the time. One day you almost drown. Suddenly that familiar thing has caused a traumatic event.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes and no. My area of expertise is dogs so I speak definitively about socialization preiods etc. But yes if you expose to things early on you would think the individual would be okay with that stimulus but the animals genetics can affect that has well as other life experiences. Like the person I talked about who was phobic of rats and it turned out to be an association with a traumatic event. Would she have developed the phobia if she had been raised around rats? I dont know. I do think we have to be careful about saying "well rounded". Is a person not well tounded because they were not raised around birds or rats or whatever? No not necessarily. Also if a person is attacked by a dog then they could develop a phobia of dogs regardless of their past e perience. I was bitten badly as a kid had the rabies shots series etc but it never even remotely affected my comfort level with dogs.
Vicky, not to reopen a can of warms. As Im just speaking a thought that just came into my head as I read todays posts, so please correct it if its wrong. But if you(a person, dog, cat, horse, bird) is brought up experiencing birds, roots, spiders, snakes, etc, theoretically, it shouldn't develope a phobia to them. Especially if it was introduced to them early on and learned to touch/play, etc, with it. So the phobia/fear should never develope if you are raised around them (unless an incident happened). Right? I'm just curious, its just a thought :) I have seen birds who are raised secluded, by themselves, barely any toys or new foods given to them, and then one day when something new is introduced, its fearful. But when raised in a well rounded home, where its introduced to many common daily things (broom, new food, new toys,.furniture moving) its not fearful or phobic.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
John, you may have missed my bit in my post that said "unless an incident occured". I'm well aware that things happen and what was once a comfort can be a fear. When I say "well rounded", I mean raised/introduced to everything possible. Different foods, animals, bugs, mud, what have you. I mean no offense by the wording.:) Let's say NO incidents happened and you raised around everything, you shouldn't become fearful of it out of nowhere without something causing you to. There are people in this world that live near war, gun fire, etc, and kids there grow up use to it. I'm scared to touch grenades and loaded weapons. But some children, knowing their companions have gotten hurt by it, still touch and play with these things in other countries (children of Columbia come to mind) If I had constant bombings and gunfire where I live, I'd be scared. Id become phobic of it Im sure. But Im just not conditioned noor was I raised around such situations to be use to it. So theoretically, if you are raised around it, and if no "incidents" happen to cause a phobia/fear, you shouldnt be afraid/phobic of things because your already conditioned to it.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I couldn't watch the video, but my SIL is deathly afraid of birds. I had to cover her head with a towel and walk her off the beach once because we had some food and the seagulls started flocking and swooping down to get some. She was completely hysterical and had absolutely no control over her reaction. I was shocked at first and thought she had physically hurt herself, then I realized what was happening and got her out of there. She cried all the way home.

Ginger

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Your wording wasn't offensive:) I just know that there are many things you couldn't or wouldn't even think to expose an individual to. I would be hesitant to say that you "shouldn't be afraid/phobic" because so many behavioral/mental issues can happen and we can't always find out why or where it started. Let's say you have a dog that is sound sensitive, you could expose him to a lot of different types of auditory stimuli and he may habituate to loud sounds, but he could be phobic of say loud trucks partly because of his genetic make up. No incident happened, and he was exposed but noise is aversive and could create a phobia. Does that make sense? And, with birds for instance who are genetically hardwired to be cautious of new things because this is necessary for them as a species to survive and protect themselves, you could expose them to things and not have a specific "incident" but there could still be phobias. I think your question is could a person have a phobia to something that they were conditioned or habituated to? My answer is, I don't know for sure, but I would guess that they could but it would be less likely as long as they were exposed before there was a fear or aversion to the trigger. Also, you can sometimes just habituate an individual to something with repeated contact as long as they aren't fearful or afraid and have success.

John, you may have missed my bit in my post that said "unless an incident occured". I'm well aware that things happen and what was once a comfort can be a fear. When I say "well rounded", I mean raised/introduced to everything possible. Different foods, animals, bugs, mud, what have you. I mean no offense by the wording.:) Let's say NO incidents happened and you raised around everything, you shouldn't become fearful of it out of nowhere without something causing you to. There are people in this world that live near war, gun fire, etc, and kids there grow up use to it. I'm scared to touch grenades and loaded weapons. But some children, knowing their companions have gotten hurt by it, still touch and play with these things in other countries (children of Columbia come to mind) If I had constant bombings and gunfire where I live, I'd be scared. Id become phobic of it Im sure. But Im just not conditioned noor was I raised around such situations to be use to it. So theoretically, if you are raised around it, and if no "incidents" happen to cause a phobia/fear, you shouldnt be afraid/phobic of things because your already conditioned to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.