• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Respiratory allergies in caique?

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Mickey has always been a sneezy bird with clear discharge. Over the past few days, I've noticed that one of her nostrils is sealing up....not discolored though (clear discharge). But it is quite smaller than the other...like a mucus blockage. Her behavior hasn't changed. She is a little more bitey lately, but she's a 9 year old female in the spring/summer. Her buddy, also 9 year old female, behavior is normal (they share a cage...constant contact). I'll observe her over the weekend (she doesn't stay still long enough, due to constant play and curiosity [you know caiques!], for me to tell if there's tail bobbing) and maybe give the vet office a call Monday (her doctor retired a year ago....not sure if they have anyone who will see birds now). If this is something, I'll probably need to take her to the Seattle area (150 miles away).
I'd imagine that parrots can have respiratory allergies. Has anyone experienced this??

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I should add that I have no powder down birds in my flock. She is housed with her buddy (another caique) and I have 2 gccs in the room also.