• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescuing a Quaker :(

Mero64

Meeting neighbors
Oh my gosh my heart is broken! Guys.. I have a deposit on the cutest baby green cheek, I was supposed to pick him up this weekend. But I found this Quaker in desperate need of a loving home. I feel bad for the breeder I gave the deposit to but my soul is crushed for this young Quaker. He is 4 months old, parent raised and not tamed, which makes me a little nervous since I was planning on getting a handfed/tamed baby conure. Any hope he might still bond with me? Has anyone been through this type of situation? And should I get his feathers looked at by a vet? :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Four months is still very young. Yes, I think he can become tame/bond with you. And it's always a good idea to take any new bird to the vet's for a vet check.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
FYI.....Quakers are illegal to have in PA.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the info! Anywhere else? We’re in Canada but we travel a lot with our camper
Opps.....sorry.... I was looking at the wrong person. I checked & they are legal in Canada.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I always advocate adoption from a rescue. But, the truth is both these birds are young and they both will need a home somewhere.
Has either of them showed a big interest in you?
You will be together a long time, hopefully. so get the bird you really want.
Take turns pretending you brought either one home and see how you feel.

Mero64

Meeting neighbors
I always advocate adoption from a rescue. But, the truth is both these birds are young and they both will need a home somewhere.
Has either of them showed a big interest in you?
You will be together a long time, hopefully. so get the bird you really want.
Take turns pretending you brought either one home and see how you feel.
They are both 3 hours away, I’ve had a conure before so I know what they are like, I guess I find a sense of security in that. I was also looking into quakers when I was choosing the breed I wanted, the only thing that turned me off we the territorial behaviour. This Quaker is in the hands of the person who treated it this way, so I feel heavy hearted and even relieved at the thought of adopting it. Even with my deposit on the conure I still felt the urge to keep looking at other birds but since I found this one that urge is gone. I guess that answers whether I should get him or not.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have an adult female quaker that I found on the street, so I dont know anything about her background other than she seemed like she had been someone's pet (as opposed to wild). Although she didnt seem that keen on me when we first took her in, she became my velcro bird after the first year. She is pretty sassy :p when it comes to some characteristic Quaker behavior, but I love her too much to mind :heart: I have not had any experience with wild quakers, but I think any captive pet needs us humans to have patience, attention, and desire to learn how to make their life better.

And yes, I would be worried about the feathers from your photo. There may be a variety of reasons for the damage and its best to have an avian vet rule out possibilities.

Also, I agree with Debbie. Both birds are young and need loving homes :hug4:

I would love to hear more updates from you as to what you decide.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oh my gosh my heart is broken! Guys.. I have a deposit on the cutest baby green cheek, I was supposed to pick him up this weekend. But I found this Quaker in desperate need of a loving home. I feel bad for the breeder I gave the deposit to but my soul is crushed for this young Quaker. He is 4 months old, parent raised and not tamed, which makes me a little nervous since I was planning on getting a handfed/tamed baby conure. Any hope he might still bond with me? Has anyone been through this type of situation? And should I get his feathers looked at by a vet? :(
Yes, at 4 months as @sunnysmom said you have every chance of letting him adapt to humans in his/her life. You should still have him/her checked by a vet and (if possible) DNA'd by feathers. Having been given a young Quaker (maybe 8 weeks old), the biggest thing is to be gentle, provide a "safe area" for him, talk to him softly and love him enormously. Once bonded, your baby will be devoted to you. Cuddle him, offer treats and talk to him. Communication is the key - if you are not threatening your baby will behave accordingly.

If you are going to travel in the U.S. you can go online and check to see which states do not allow Quakers. Some that do not allow them to live within their state will allow them to travel through the state; there are sometimes restrictions like having them banded and/or wings clipped to avoid "escape". Be very aware that some U.S. states like Pennsylvania, may have draconian "seize & euthanize" protocols in place even if there is no evidence that the bird in question could/would be "released" within their state.

Remy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Any hope he might still bond with me?
Absolutley! If you put in the time, love and care for this baby, you will be rewarded! 4 moths is still very young and is actually a very good age to tame birds if not handraised!
<3 best of luck!!