• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued dying baby cockatiel

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi! Thank you for the friendly welcome! I've never joined a forum before. I recently (May 22nd) rescued a baby cockatiel from a bad situation. It was nearly dead. I honestly didn't believe it would live through the night. Lo and behold, here we are 12 days later!

I've never had a cocktail. Dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits - I've had them all, but no cockatiels! Only one bird, a geriatric budgie I took in when the owner passed away, many, many years ago.

Last summer I snatched up a fledgling "something" just as feral cats were closing in. It turned out to be a Band Tailed Pigeon. I raised her and did a soft release many months later! I miss her (him?) so much!

So, I've some experience with hand feeding a baby bird with a crop, thankfully.

The best I can figure is that my little tiel, whom I've named TD, is approximately 4 weeks old. I've been feeding him/her Kaytee Exact baby formula since I got him/her. Now I'm including seeds, pellets, veggies and some fruit. Is it soon for TD to be eating solids? TD also began flying two days ago!

Thanks for any and all replies! And for this very informative site!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. Thanks for taking this baby into your home.

Some of the Teil people will be along soon.

@sunnysmom @rocky'smom

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for helping the baby! 4 weeks seems a bit young for seeds, but softened pellets , oatmeal, scramble eggs, soft veggies would be great to get him started on, been many years since I had baby tiels, but sounds like you are doing great so far.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
VID_20170523_105200554_fx11.jpg Thank you all for your kind words! I thought four weeks seemed a bit young for seeds as well, but TD refused formula for one day so the next day I offered her some seeds and fruit.

TD may be anywhere from 4-8 weeks old. It's my understanding that the parents hatched two chicks. One was extremely smaller than the other. The parents didn't seem to feed the little one. They pecked at it, plucked it's feathers out, etc. The owner didn't do anything for it, so his wife began feeding it human baby food. The food got ALL OVER the chick and was allowed to dry on it. When I got TD, he/she was almost totally stuck together where he/she had any feathers left. Those were few and far between! I think TD may be stunted a bit in his/her development.

I'm going to try to upload a video of TD the morning after I brought TD home. Maybe someone can take a more educated guess?

Also, TD is back on formula along with the seeds, veggies, etc.

Thanks again!

Couldn't upload the video. The first picture is of TD on May, 23, the second was taken on May 31.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and thank you for rescuing the baby. It's wonderful that TD has found a caring home.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, have you been weighing TD? Always a good idea to weigh daily.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for taking this little bird into your home. What a cutie!:xflove:I think this little bird will love you forever.:heart:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
TD looks like he is doing so much better. I am not an expert on tiels but in generally when parrots start flying they are usually ready to start eating weaning foods. This is not to say that you should stop the handfeeding, you should not.

Weaning is a developmental stage not a particular age and it is a process not an event. Basically, when a baby bird begins picking things up with it's beak you can offer weaning foods. I feel like any normal food that you would feed an adult of the species can be offered at this point. They are learning, what items are food and figuring out how to eat them. At first they are playing not eating, but it is all part of the process. When they do start eating it is usually softer foods that they will eat first.

Your baby will play with the food for a while then slowly start eating some, you will need to keep handfeeding until the baby is no longer begging and/or has a full crop at feeding time. It's always better to offer handfeeding formula longer if you are not sure.

Also, if you are weighing the baby daily it will help you to know how much he is eating on his own. Another marker that your bird may be close to weaning is that he can maintain his normal weight without supplemental handfeeding. You have to chart the weight for a little while to figure out what is normal for an individual bird.

Babies lose a little weight at fledging so he could be losing a little right now or he may be passed that. Just start weighing him in grams everyday and you will be able to tell.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I wanted to reply to everyone individually, but didn't see how to do it... please bear with me. I am from the TCG...the Technologically Challenged Generation...it seems, from the how to forums that there are a lot of steps to doing anything!

I don't have a gram scale at the moment. My fiance just had open heart surgery. We are on a very fixed, not so high, income. We also followed a dream and put all our things in storage, gave up our apartment, bought a 30 year old RV, and are currently residing in it with our two dogs and, now, TD. Our plans for travel in the "Bye-Bye House" have been postponed due to health issues...but soon, all that will be behind us and we'll be taking to the highways and biways of America (while it's still here!).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Welcome to AA.
first thing is making sure the TD is getting enough protein. their little bodies need it to build good feathers and bones. if you can find a gram scale, maybe garage sale, Goodwill, all the better. I would try offering warm formula on a spoon from Dixie cup. my belief is that they need formula for 2 months plus possibly comfort feedings once in a while. you can also make a mash of sweet potatoes.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
RUNS TO THREAD INSTANTLY

^^^

They do need protein, especially when most of his feathers are gone he will need warmth. Is he timid towards you? (what am i saying of course he is ) Like Rock said making mash is an amazing idea to get calcium, nutrients and Vitamin A which is really important. Things like carrots will help, and they are quite tasty (to my tiel atleast) But sincerely; thank you for rescuing this cockatiel, make sure to research and give him time to get used to your care.

Welcome, I am proud to announce you a member of AA

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thanks everyone! Actually, TD isn't timid towards me at all. We've become great friends already! TD loves music. 50's rock being TD's favorite.

I'm still feeding TD about a syringe and a half of the Kaytee Exact baby formula at each of three daily feedings. TD does get seeds, Kaytee fruity pellets every day and veggies three times a week and fresh fruit twice a week.

As soon as I have time to read the directions on posting a video, I'll post one of TD performing " Rockin' Robin". TD almost has the "tweet, tweets" down perfectly.

I'm glad to say, that most of TD's feathers have grown back in. The only patch where there are still no feathers is right on his chest. That's good for me though, as it helps me to see how his crop is doing. Also, he is flying quite well. He and I are best buddies already. He's very curious and funny, he has a wonderful sense of humor.