• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescue wants me only to work with them

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

I've been posting around as I am in my search for a second parrot. I'm working with a local rescue who I really admire and like. One thing that I've struggled with slightly is that it seems like the woman who runs the rescue wants me commit to getting a bird through her/the rescue only. I'm also on a fb group that facilitates rehoming of local birds. These are birds who are genuinely needing new homes, not being sold for profit. I've been replying to some posts there too, but I feel sort of guilty about it. Is it typical to make a commitment to a rescue? Or is it okay for me to also be pursuing other birds from private owners that need new homes?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think that as long as the birds (current and future) best interests are at heart, that is the most important thing.

Synth

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hope
That is very strange they want you to commit to only them. Rescues out of anyone should know parrots are a long haul commitment and some of them are our lifetime commitments. Their focus should be that birds who need homes find wonderful hopeful forever homes, even if that means someone finds their new feathered friend outside of their rescue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only possible valid reason I can think of, is for biosecurity reasons. If you get a bird from Craigslist that is an unknown carrier for a disease, and then you come to volunteer there, you potentially could be bringing in an illness to her rescue.

Depending on how comfortable you feel doing so, you could always just ask her the reasoning and then make a decision from there.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've seen applications to rescues that asked if you were looking into birds at other rescues. I never got the impression they were against it, just curious. I'm not sure why they would want exclusivity unless they treat it as a matchmaking service of sorts. Otherwise, they may be worried about wasting time vetting birds for you?

That said, you don't have to feel comfortable with it just because it is a rescue. They are free to set their policies as much as you are free to work with who makes you feel comfortable.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Choose your bird how you want to! Be comfortable in how you acquire your new bird.

I would have a chat with the rescue lady and ask her reasons for wanting you to only work with her- maybe she does not want to be looking out for someone who is looking any and everywhere for a bird and is likely to be wasting her time, maybe she does not want to take chances you may be going straight from one rescue place to another spreading possible diseases, maybe she has seen many who have their feelers out all over the place and then she discovers they are flippers or breeders- could be so many reasons that may or may not be valid for her wishes of you only using her services and until you know it is likely to feel a bit wrong that those limitations are put on you.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everybody! I think it is probably that she doesn't want to waste time trying to help me find a bird if I turn around and get a bird somewhere else. Her personality is pretty particular so I'm not sure how she'd take me asking her about it, but it's reassuring to hear that I'm not committing a grave sin in looking at other options as well :) I know she is strongly opposed to the breeding of captive parrots or buying babies, and I am still considering the possibility of buying a bird, so that's something I haven't mentioned to her. I am not intending to be deceptive or anything but I also realize that at the end of the day I have to find the bird that works for me and my family and not just that she thinks I ought to have. So thank you all for the reassurance :)