• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Removing "nest"?

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
I realized this evening when inspecting the bird's toys (to make sure everything looked safe) that Eilley and/or Isaac (They share a cage with a divider and switch sides each day) have been making a nest in a coconut toy (its similar to this one without the top coconut http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=132; I can get a picture of the actual one if needed). Should I remove this "nest" or will that cause problems? As far as I can tell neither of them have gone through sexual maturity, but I am guessing that this indicates that at least one of them is close. They are both 1.5 year old Quakers from different breeders. I have no intentions of breeding or encouraging mating behaviors. Thanks for any help!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If you remove the nest, they will find a way to build another or the female will lay on the grate...I suggest you go to birdsupplynh.com and get some false eggs (or look up false eggs on google..there are many places to buy them) and when the female lays, replace the eggs with false ones...also you will need to look up signs of egg binding etc. , make sure there is lots of calcium in their diets, especially the hens..You may have no intentions of breeding or encouraging mating behaviors but if they are together, then how will you discourage it? and if they are bonded, it would be cruel to separate them.

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
They are not in the same cage at the same time, so does that make a difference?

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Issac is probably the one making the nest. Although both sexes do make nests, males tend to be the most heavily involved. Since I only have one Quaker, I do let him build his nest freely. But I know that just having the nest there can definitely have an impact on behavior. Generally speaking, Quakers will use anything they can find to make a nest, even if you don't give it to them. At the age you listed, I do believe that they are mature, or at least the age to begin thinking about mating. Building a nest is one thing, roosting in it is another, Quakers will also become protective of the nest site. Keep an eye on their behavior, mutual preening and feeding can be signs of bonding and lead to mating behavior.

Also, I would love to see some pictures of your Quakers. Your avatar is adorable! :heart: :D