• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Relationship update; Sydney & Adélie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don´t remember what the last thing I wrote about these two publicly was, so I thought it would be worth a mini update.
Spoiler; they are not bonded and not much has happened :lol:

So Adé has been non stop opening her wings for Sydney, who is interested in her but not ready to commit. He nibbles her wings, and under her wing... and her butt... But then regurgitates next to her and eats it himself instead of feeding her. She compensates by regurgitating to eat (maybe trying to fill the fantasy, who knows).

These two get their own flight time away from everyone else for the most part, and just a very short while of everyone out together.

For a long time now Sydney had been playing in Adélies cage with her during the day, he would come to me then fly back to her. She would let him in the cage and would share toys. Things were going extremely well.
After doing this daily for some time, I started closing the door with them both inside and neither of them were bothered, they would carry on playing. Sydney tries to preen Adélie but she runs away.
Both birds were separated for bed time.

Recently I got rid of Sydneys cage. My heart is set on a bigger version of Lapis and Nubes cage that I want to buy for them and take their cage for Sydney. In the meantime, Sydney is living in Adélies cage. All his stuff has been put in there, including his boing, his duck and his bed box.
Adélie has all her stuff in a small cage temporarily. I swapped the cages around in the evening, and put everyone to bed. They were all fine with the changes. The next day when I didn´t let Adelie into the other cage with Sydney in the morning they both started pacing and looking at each other so I put her into the cage with Sydney and they both ate together, then went off shredding the paper liner together.
Things were going great. Sydney was sharing his toys including the duck. It has been 6 days since I moved the cage round. He lets her in and out of the box and he lets her climb the boing without getting overprotective of it.
I know Adélie will walk up to Sydney while he is ¨busy¨ with his boing and just stand and watch him. He just carries on.
Last night I went out in a rush and didn´t move the birds to their beds before leaving. I came home and Adélie was asleep in Sydneys bed. He was asleep in the corner at the top of the boing. I took her out and put her to bed.

They have been playing all morning today. And that is all.
They have not mated.
They really are friends. Not just two birds that put up with each other because they play nice together. But as they are not bonded, they won´t be allowed any sleepovers, I think they would be fine but I´m not willing to bet their safety on it.
If I go out during the day and I know I´ll be more than half an hour I´ll separate them, but I´f I won´t be long, they stay together.

This was today, (sorry, poor quality because I´m on the other side of the room)
She doesn´t usually go into his box. So we will have to see. If she starts doing this now, It will have to go.
(The sheet is to block the view between cages or everyone just stands at that wall trying to bite through the bars at each other)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Awww their little faces peeking out are so cute!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I know Adélie will walk up to Sydney while he is ¨busy¨ with his boing and just stand and watch him. He just carries on.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Quite an interesting relationship indeed! Whatever was going on in the box in the vid, they were having a great time so I guess that’s all that matters :smuggrin:

Thank you for this, I got super excited when I saw the title of this post. I think I may be way too invested in this relationship:lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Whatever was going on in the box in the vid, they were having a great time
:lol: yes!
And they didn´t nap in there. Adelie cam out and napped on the floor and Sydney napped on the boing directly above her :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Regurgitates and eats it herself as the fantasy just left me laughing and also bewildered.
:lol: I caught it on camera while back so it is on the site somewhere and it is on my youtube account. It´s a little weird, I´d be interested if anyone else has birds that do that. My couples do it the normal way, the males feed the hens.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I wonder if he realises he´s not actually feeding her.... :chin:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara I must have missed a post somewhere, but are they now staying in the same cage together permanently? They are so cute together :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara I must have missed a post somewhere, but are they now staying in the same cage together permanently?
It is somewhere on AA but I do not remember where. There is a small cage set up on the shelf under the cage in case anything kicks off. But they were sharing the last cage together after a while.
It started off as Sydney visiting her cage, then he would just be in there all day and I put him home at night.Then I got rid of Sydneys cage and moved him into Adelies cage, they would be together during the day and then at night she would be put in her own bed in the spare cage.
Then there was a bird in need of a cage as they were in (what I deem to be) an unsafe situation. I already had the new flight cage here so the two moved into the flight cage so I could donate Adelies old cage sooner.
They are a bonded pair minus mating, so they are still being watched closely... or maybe they wake up early and mate in the morning... I know Sydney used to be humping the boing when I uncovered him...