• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming a bird due to financial hardship

honeykat13

Meeting neighbors
Sorry if this doesn't belong on this specific forum, I wasn't sure where to post it.

This is more of just a hypothetical question, something that I've been thinking about since seeing something related to it on Facebook. Let's say that you are financially stable enough to own a bird, toys, vet, and all. At first. But something happens to where you are still able to feed your bird and such, but don't have the funds to take it to the vet in the event of a medical emergency. Would you keep the bird, or relinquish it to a rescue or re-home it? I'm just curious to see the thoughts of people here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think you will see an aray of answers...

For me personally, If I were just going through a bad patch I would keep the birds and call my dad for some cash because I know he would help me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great question. Even though i was on a fixed income i seemed to find ways to pay for avian vet care. Vet prices are different depending where one lives.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
To add to my prev. answer, if my dad wasn´t around to help me with money, I would sell stuff until the financial situation was better. I don´t own much, but I have some nice earrings, clothes, shoes, a designer handbag, designer glasses. I would sell as much as I needed to get the funds I needed :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd live out of a car if it came down to it.
Only if the bird's life was in serious danger would I ever do that.
And I'd probably try to find a temporary help until I was back on my feet, before any permanent rehome.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Knowing there is always the chance for tough times (the pandemic) it can happen beyond our control.

With this being said, now is the best time for ALL pet owners, to make changes going forward for necessary care in the future.

I have never in my life understood how People don't prepare. Even if you save $5 a week, it adds up. Save that one day of Starbucks money. Don't eat lunch out everyday. There are so many things People truly can go without especially if you have dependent pets.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I always ask this: is he or she going to be better off with someone else?

If the honest answer is yes, it’s time to do something.

@Love My Zons not to mention how FAST that $5 a week gets spent on them. Last months vet bill: in excess of $1200.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I always ask this: is he or she going to be better off with someone else?

If the honest answer is yes, it’s time to do something.

@Love My Zons not to mention how FAST that $5 a week gets spent on them. Last months vet bill: in excess of $1200.
Oh Girl trust me I know all about Vet bills.

$5 adds up, said as a minimal amount. $20 a week is better, $100 a paycheck even better.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
On the math entity. If you can save $100 per pay check, weekly or bi-weekly you're looking at $1200 to $2400 a year.

If you haven't any issues arise, year after year it all adds up.

It's nice to know there is cash in the bank should anything happen. Even moreso owning a home. Emergencies at home, septic tank, AC, fridge dies you name it, nice to be able to fix ir replace.

Maybe it was how I was taught. Never over extend, or spend frivolous unless you can afford to buy it (and I don't mean paying back a credit card)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've gone through tough patches where my birds didn't get much fresh food or new toys because we didn't have the money. We made it work :) it's usually temporary and they still had food, activities, a roof over their head, and love. If a vet situation came up I would have used a credit card to make it happen.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Till death do us part.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I knew a woman who lived out of her car in Vegas. Her companion of 13 years a Moluccan Too.
If you don't want to lose them, there's almost always a way.
Carol and Angel (the Too) were a duo that I'll never forget.
I've seen the power of love that kept them together for that long.
Even with no place to call home.

stephanieh

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie Hart
i do not think i will have the heart to give my loving pet to someone else.I will simply find a way, no matter what.
Family can maybe help or friends with compassion, their is always a person around to help that has a kind and caring heart.:heart:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Even when we lost our house we still found a way to feed the dogs. I know my local shelter has connections, they have a pet food pantry for those in need.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are a lot of factors that would need to be taken into account here. However, I feel it comes down to emotions and the birds' wellbeing. Sure, I can sell things and pay for one pet bill. Then when the next comes? And soon you can't afford food? If it is spiralling out of control and the bird is suffering, I don't feel its fair to hold onto the bird if could have a much better life with somebody else.

So if I had exhausted every avenue, and could foresee the eventual suffering of my birds, then yes, I would.

EDIT: I will add that this would be unlikely for me as, like Zara, have people I can ask to help me.

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends how long the situation is likely to last. If it's a temporary thing, I have pet insurance, savings, credit cards and family.

It would have to be a permanent and life-changing thing to make me give up Leia, and I would have to be convinced that I could not care for her and that she would be better off with someone else.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree w/ John, for life!

I doubt I'd be able to find a better home for Buddy. I'd probably go w/ out food before my boy would. There's almost always a way when they ARE your family!

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I think of it like a kid. You find a way to provide for your child no matter what... if they had health problems you do whatever you have to make sure they get healthy again. You don't put them up for adoption just because you can't afford a hospital visit but if they need the visit you do whatever you can to make sure it happens.

And you can always save up for the future. As simple as not eating out a couple times a week and putting that money aside would add up over a couple months. Good money management is important, not just with our birds but life too!