• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating?

Razz

Moving in
Has anyone else experienced regurgitating every time their ekkie eats? Mine (13 year old Male) will eat and then for atleast 10 mins after he’s just throws it up to eat it again... is this normal? He’s not regurgitating back onto anything, just within his mouth.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What is the current diet?

Ekkies are VERY different form other parrots, diets can be a contributing factor to many health issues as they have a different digestive system- which means they have many food intolerences and allergies. Regurgitation that commonly- ... need to know his diet specifics.

Is he also a plucker?

Razz

Moving in
Yes he is a plucker. His diet consists of chop that I make, broccoli, bokchoy, sugar snap peas, sprouts, lentils, jalapeño, bell pepper, zucchini, sweet potato, carrot slivers. I have noticed that he only does this when he has fruit. I forgot to add that!

Razz

Moving in
He has the veggie chop on the morning small amounts of mixed fresh fruit in the after noon and cold pressed organic pellets but a very small amount. On occasions he gets quinoa, and I mix up what veggies are in his chop each week.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ekkies are very misunderstood, the way they process nutrients is also different.
In captivity, eclectus parrots are commonly fed according to granivory standards, which explains their high incidence of diet-induced digestive and behavioral problems.

Eclectus unique anatomy and attributes:
* A wide thoratic esophagus

* Elastic proventriculus

* Regulated crop emptying times (regulated eating times)

* Rapid movement through the gizzard and small intestine

Eclectus digestion is a key function that has previously been put under the category ‘long digestive tract’. When really statements like these have lead to further issues with eclectus diets, in turn causing health issues (low weight, feather discoloration, allergies, tattered feathers and self mutilation) over supplementation and poor nutrition which leads to behavioral (screaming, biting, wing flipping, feather plucking, and ‘freeze’ factors).The generally accepted solution: A diet that consists of large quantity of readily available vegetables, some fruit, natural color pellets and high quality seed mix. Breeders and even veterinarians adopted this new diet plan without question, leading to even more confusion and issues with the eclectus species.

Both Rob Marshall and I agree- most self mutilation begins with eclectus diet.
ECLECTUS REQUIRE:
High moisture content
High Glucose and Fructose
Low Lipids
Low Fat
Low- Moderate Protein
Low- Moderate Fiber
Scheduled Eating Times

If ANY of these structures is not met- they will in fact regurgitate, feather pluck, and generally have a stomach ache their entire lives.
Here is the breakdown:
Fruits comprise 65%
Vegetable matter comprise (STEAM as these contain too much undigestible fiber) 22%
Nuts and seeds 10%
Other (nectar, pollens, other) 3%

Instead, provide this diet for the next 14 days:
Elegant Eclectus Functional Diet
1 Cup Mixed: Plums, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Papaya, Mango, Pomegranate
1 Cup Mixed: Butternut Squash, Carrots, Kale, Zucchini, Baby Bok Choy
1/8 Cup 'Salad': Fresh flowers or Microgreens, 1/2 tablespoon Sprouted Seed/Bean Mix

Protein: 6.0%, Fiber: 7.0%, Fat: 2.5%, Moisture: 80%
Total Calories: 127.
Devided and fed twice a day.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Yes he is a plucker. His diet consists of chop that I make, broccoli, bokchoy, sugar snap peas, sprouts, lentils, jalapeño, bell pepper, zucchini, sweet potato, carrot slivers. I have noticed that he only does this when he has fruit. I forgot to add that!
Everything consumed gets processed at a different rate. So high fiber veggie chop is not ideal, especially when combined with maybe unfavorable fruits? fruits like apple should be avoided, or anything with a skin that cant be removed.

It backs up his track and prevents him from actually ingesting the nutrients he requires (without excess).
I would ex-nah broccoli, lentils, jalapeno... steam the other ingredients till soft. Add in lots of fleshy fruit: Guava, Passionfruit, Figs, Pomegranates, Mango, Cantaloupe, Plums, Blueberries, Papaya, Apricot, Nectarines, Cherries, Kiwi

Razz

Moving in
With apple and most of the fruits he eats he avoids the skin anyway? Should I still stay away from those? Sorry I would love to get his diet right and I get so much back and forth info on what to give and what not to give..

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Razz

No problem, Im here to help- as well as the rest of the AA community.

There is more false information about eclectus spiraling around (circa 2001?).

DVM (vets) dont have nutritional training (they gave me 1 day sponsored by a pet food company- brilliant), breeders are just 'doing what works' thus far, scientists have the most up to date info- but they dont apply it to companion birds in legible format.

So:
I feed apples as treats, but not as a main source. You are seeking 'gooey pulp' fruits.

Abundant hexrose (fructose and gluclose) and starch from seeds is primary energy source. Digesting fat in the duodenum is a lengthy process in their unique anatomy. Therefore, Eclectus produce triglycerides in the liver (which are abundantly present soft fleshy fruit) which replaces the need for high fat. Excess fat from seeds or pellets slows digestion causing digestive distress. Eclectus parrots prefer carbohydrate rich, protein and lipid poor wild diets. But the type of carbohydrate matters!

Apples that contain a higher type of fiber can also cause digestive upset. Anything squishy (including higher citrus) will be most beneficial for the digestive system.